• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bob Brown Goooone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Resigned today, I see this as a win for Labor with any disaffected moving back to Gillard in some of those inner city seats

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Agree FP. Brown has built up a lot of creidibility with us latte sippers, but of course has lost a lot of credibility with "ordinary Australians." Myabe Milne can bring some bogan appeal.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I hate that the senate doesn't require a by-election. You shouldn't be allowed to retire like this, if your nit going to do a full term you shouldn't have run in the first place.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree FP. Brown has built up a lot of creidibility with us latte sippers, but of course has lost a lot of credibility with "ordinary Australians." Myabe Milne can bring some bogan appeal.

The Greens are a party of rich soy latte drinkers ;)

Former Queensland Labor senator John Black looked into their demographics
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/counterpoint/who-are-green-voters/3036236

from the transcript

.......... they're certainly rich, there's no doubt about it, that the greens are the richest group of voters in Australian politics. The poorest of course are the National Party voters......

................. if I can just read down the list...field of study, they're defined by what they studied, and it was creative arts, your conventional arts degrees, both male and female. And then it gets quite interesting: females in their mid 40s with no kids, female professionals. Religion: other. They're atheists, agnostics, there's no religious faith there. And then you've got other age groups, female age groups, in their 50s with no kids. And then you've got graduates in society and culture type courses. Then you've got 40-year-old women with no kids. Then you've got male professionals, people who work in arts and recreation. Field of study: architecture and building, that's another one. Field of study: eduction, industry education.
So you've got arts type graduates working in education, you've got professionals and overwhelmingly you've got no kids. And then you get down into the country of birth, green voters are overwhelmingly born in other countries, they're internationally qualified, people born in the USA or Canada or Singapore, what have you. It would be no surprise to me, sitting in the senate listening to Norm Sanders. Basically they're an internationally qualified group....

....... Bob would be better off with Tony Abbott's (childcare) scheme basically and there's no two ways about it. The scheme that Labor's coming up with is not going to attract Green voters, from what I can see of their profile. It's better than nothing, I suppose, but the Green voters that I'm looking at now who live in the inner cities have a child in long day-care from the age of three to five to six months, and that child will stay in care in some form or another until they're 17. They move seamlessly from childcare into a private school. A private school doesn't cost any more. So they don't blink at putting them straight into pre-prep and the prep, and that child will stay at an inner-city private school right through until they're 17. And I tell you what, they'll come out the other end voting Green too..........

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bloke pisses me of at times but all the best to him. Not that we all have to agree with him but he is a rare breed of politician that speaks with conviction and actually believes what he is saying. I admire him for that.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm staggered that he's chosen now to leave. The Greens are 18 months into a critical new stage - holding the balance of power, the critical alliance in the lower house - that could very easily spell disaster for them, a la the Democrats over the GST, if they don't hold it together. I would have thought Brown would have wanted to see out another parliamentary term or so before heading off.

He's done remarkably well in maintaining the perception that the Greens are above politics, whilst doing deals with the Gillard government - I just can't imagine that Christine Milne, or just about anyone else for that matter, is going to be able to maintain it.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Bob Brown is to be admired as a leader - he built up a fledgling far left party into something that is now recognised across the country, and it is undeniable that the Greens appeal to a niche market of voters. Brown's departure is the worst move he's ever made by the party, and the fact that Milne is taking over - a woman who doesn't see the value in curtailing government spending so that we don't end up in a situation like Greece - is even worse for the party. They'll stick around as a player at the next federal election mainly because the media will put more emphasis on them, but their results in the QLD state elections points out that they're a quickly fading force in Australian politics.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
he was talking about doing a Buffet the other day - just before he retired......Buffets got prostate cancer the SMH has just revealed...QED

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
He is 67... could be time to retire?

But he seems like a pretty active 67-year-old, even if he doesn't walk around Canberra in Wallaby tracksuits. And a bit of a control freak as well. I can't imagine he's going to enjoy sitting back on his farm in Tasmania, watching the political scene unfold without him at the centre of it.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I think he'll take on an advisory role within the Greens like McKenzie is about to with the reds - making many of the big decisions without being involved in the day to day. He'll want to keep the monster he created alive

Status
Not open for further replies.