• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bob Dwyer: Lions are Cheats

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Great job Bob! If it does nothing but stir the buggers up and get the ref's attention to the issues, then mission accomplished.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well they have been called up for a couple of obstructions from memory. And their scrum has been given plenty of advice from the refs. The thing about most of these is that they don't always have an impact on the game, so there is no reason to ping most of them. (just play on)

Good observations though, something to keep an eye on. Before everyone jumps on some 'Gatland is a cheat' wagon though, keep in mind the Wallabies haven't lost to Wales in years so we must be doing something right, or the cheating doesn't work very well.

Also, Wayne Smith only gets 9/10 this time around for his law exam.

And don't get Dwyer started on the Lions' offside play. Let's just say he has grave doubts that any of them are aware of the concept of being offside at the tackle contest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well they have been called up for a couple of obstructions from memory. And their scrum has been given plenty of advice from the refs. The thing about most of these is that they don't always have an impact on the game, so there is no reason to ping most of them. (just play on)

Good observations though, something to keep an eye on. Before everyone jumps on some 'Gatland is a cheat' wagon though, keep in mind the Wallabies haven't lost to Wales in years so we must be doing something right, or the cheating doesn't work very well.

Also, Wayne Smith only gets 9/10 this time around for his law exam.
Isn't this a reference to law 15.6 (d):
(d)
At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players’ goal line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree with his point about pushing up in the scrum on the second shove. Ironically though this is exactly what the waratahs seemed to do vs the crusaders at the end of that game.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
(d)
At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players’ goal line.

I was of the opinion that if you tackled someone you can retrieve the ball from any where you don't have to go behind to pick it up, if you're not the tackler then yes you have to come in from your side of the tackle

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
:) I started to read it but 1/3 of the way through was laughing so much tears formed in my eyes and I couldn't see to read any more, good old Bob always good for a laugh:D:D:D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was of the opinion that if you tackled someone you can retrieve the ball from any where you don't have to go behind to pick it up, if you're not the tackler then yes you have to come in from your side of the tackle

Spot on Dai.

The thing that the tackler (and there can only be one person designated as the tackler, even when two players make the tackle - bit tricky there) needs to do, is make a "clear release" of the tackled player before contesting for the ball. They are within their rights to contest for the ball from where ever they happen to be - potentially from what many would incorrectly state is an offside position.

In the last couple of seasons the referees have been insisting on the tackler flapping their wings like a drunken albatross to demonstrate that they have released the tackled player before going in for the pilfer/"not releasing the ball sir" penalty. This has turned things in favour of the attacking side and reduced the effectiveness of players like Pocock at the breakdown.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Before the maul or ruck is formed, only the tackler is "allowed" to be "offside", everyone else in the breakdown contest must approach from their side.

Technically there is no "gate" until the ruck or maul is formed - when players from opposing teams are bound over the ball.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
:) I started to read it but 1/3 of the way through was laughing so much tears formed in my eyes and I couldn't see to read any more, good old Bob always good for a laugh:D:D:D
Which part was making you laugh more - that Bob Dwyer noticed a rugby side was flouting the laws (hardly an isolated incident there) or that he had concentrated his observations on the opposition rather than the team he supports. I am not holding my breath for any prominent coach/supporter to go to the media with a list of things he thinks the ref should watch in his own team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a direction that the tackler also had to return on-side before competing for the ball. I seem to remember Richie McCaw being penalised for off side when he was the tackler on the odd occasion last year. Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
pay back for the 'spying' claims?? What is a Lions (or any rugby) tour without some classic media accusations

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
"One comment I'd like to make after having seen the Lions in action on tour is that it doesn't come as any surprise they're coached by a New Zealander because they play outside the laws of the game as every New Zealand side does." - Bob Dwyer

We love you too Bob, xoxo.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a direction that the tackler also had to return on-side before competing for the ball. I seem to remember Richie McCaw being penalised for off side when he was the tackler on the odd occasion last year. Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
No, tackler can play the ball without returning to his side so long as he gets to his feet first and plays the ball before a ruck is formed. However, this doesn't apply to the tackle assist, or a defender who doesn't go to ground with the tackle (and is therefore not defined as the tackler).

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
(d)

It might be. But I hope they aren't seriously suggesting that the Lions have a bad habit of entering the tackle from the wrong side.

I mean, sometimes the Lions take up that space between the ball and opposition on purpose, but that is offside in general. And it isn't something I've noticed as a major trend. Maybe Bob will write a blog soon and put all of this into his own words.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Gee, Bob Dwyer has a moan about how an opposing team is playing!! It's hardly anything new from Bob.
"One comment I'd like to make after having seen the Lions in action on tour is that it doesn't come as any surprise they're coached by a New Zealander because they play outside the laws of the game as every New Zealand side does." - Bob Dwyer

We love you too Bob, xoxo.
lol
But at least he moan and point out some of the tactics used. Its just using a ugly word like cheating every time that gets everyone upset.

Reactions: ACR
Status
Not open for further replies.