• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boxing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
What do you think of the logo?

I know there's a few boxing fans here, so I thought I'd get things going. What should we start with? Haye vs Klitschko? No, let's start with the big fight this week: S. B. Williams vs Alipate Liava'a.

:lmao:

Sorry Sonny, you are not a boxer's arse. Not even for charity should this kind of thing be applauded. Although as a comedy act it was pretty good.

Here's some highlights:

[video=youtube;S2PYvAyNMwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2PYvAyNMwc[/video]

[video=youtube;13JqpZhizaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JqpZhizaE[/video]

That's Alipate's 8th loss in a row, by the way, and SBW made it look difficult.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
I was under the impression that boxing matches tended to contain at least a measurable amount of boxing. Unless points were being awarded for the results of a skin fold test, I cannot work out how either opponent could be said to have "won" that particular contest.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I made it through two and a half minutes of this -garbage.

I got the impression that SBW just couldnt bring himself to floor him - surely he can't be that bad a boxer?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Silly question - why do they wear such massive pants? I mean I get why one of them is, or maybe he just makes them look smaller than SBW's?

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Glad someone has started a boxing thread.

In actual boxing news - Green to fight Antonio Tarver next month. Tarver certainly was a good fighter, but it looks to me a bit like the Roy Jones Jr. match up. The guy is getting old and is probably past his prime. Having said that, I suppose Green isn't getting any younger either. And at least he is fighting a decent American boxer, and I respect him for having gone over to Germany to fight Beyer. Green seems to be getting better with age so I think he'll win.

Also, I read recently that Floyd Mayweather knocked back 65 million to fight Pacquiao!! Which probably means it won't ever happen. But god, what a fight that would be. I think Pacquiao has got to be the best of the last decade, and one of the best ever. I'll never forget the way he annihilated de la Hoya and made it looks so easy, or that left he put on Hatton. So much power and accuracy. It made him drop like he'd been shot.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Like a lot of people I'd love to see Floyd & Manny go at each other but at this stage it looks unlikely we are going to see it.

The best thing to come out of SBW's bout was the money he has donated to the earthquake cause. I wish he'd stick to Rugby.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I made it through two and a half minutes of this -garbage.

I got the impression that SBW just couldnt bring himself to floor him - surely he can't be that bad a boxer?

He throws jabs with the back of his hand, like he's working the speed bag. And did you see the little pirouettes after he throws the right? Looking at him makes me wonder if he's actually a southpaw and doesn't realise.

Anyway - we've got the thread going at least.

Tarver is the same age as me. It will be a good fight though - I don't see Danny Green being the first person to knock him out. (Unless he uses his magic gloves :D).

T

Train Without a Station

Am I the only person who is sick of hearing SBW talked up as a boxer considering he is yet to fight anybody that actually makes a living out of fighting? Considering SBW's arm span he should have made absolute mincemeat and dominated on points against his 5'8 opponent. Considering the fact the Scott Lewis was his best opponent and is still a part time fighter it's a bit ridiculous for the media to talk up SBW as a boxer. He already has a leg up on all his opponents by the conditioning that goes along with being an elite professional athlete.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Am I the only person who is sick of hearing SBW talked up as a boxer considering he is yet to fight anybody that actually makes a living out of fighting? Considering SBW's arm span he should have made absolute mincemeat and dominated on points against his 5'8 opponent. Considering the fact the Scott Lewis was his best opponent and is still a part time fighter it's a bit ridiculous for the media to talk up SBW as a boxer. He already has a leg up on all his opponents by the conditioning that goes along with being an elite professional athlete.

A little harsh. For someone with no amatuer career, no professional fulltime training, in his secondary sport, fighting over a weekend in between Super rugby games (which he was injured) and in a charity event, you cannot realistically expect him to be fighting serious opponents.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
A little harsh. For someone with no amatuer career, no professional fulltime training, in his secondary sport, fighting over a weekend in between Super rugby games (which he was injured) and in a charity event, you cannot realistically expect him to be fighting serious opponents.

The other thing is I'm sure SBW doesnt pick his opponents.

T

Train Without a Station

you cannot realistically expect him to be fighting serious opponents.

If his media friends (e.g. Danny Wiedler) and entourage want to talk him up as a serious boxer, than yes, I can.

The other thing is I'm sure SBW doesnt pick his opponents.

Possibly correct but if he wants to be taken serious as a boxer he should be attempting to fight increasingly better boxers, not a couple of fat, unfit nobodies, a half decent part time boxer and a ridiculously overweight, unfit (physically and injury wise) 40 year old on sickness benefits.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If his media friends (e.g. Danny Wiedler) and entourage want to talk him up as a serious boxer, than yes, I can.

Possibly correct but if he wants to be taken serious as a boxer he should be attempting to fight increasingly better boxers, not a couple of fat, unfit nobodies, a half decent part time boxer and a ridiculously overweight, unfit (physically and injury wise) 40 year old on sickness benefits.

Its hard enough for a full time legit boxer to organise a fight with a decent opponent as it is (such is the nature of boxing at the moment) if its hard for them then what chance does SBW have? He cant help it if his cling-on crowd are talking him up, he's always seemed pretty reserved on the matter to me. Like I said I wish he would just stick to his Rugby.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Ex-Knight and supposed drug king pin (There is no way he is. He is just too stupid) Danny Wicks wants to have a go with SBW. It was reported in the local paper that he would happily take a shot. It was in response to SNW asking for tougher opponents.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Mate, I'll take a shot. At least I don't turn circles every time I throw the right.

The flea in three.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK - here we go. This must be the biggest heavyweight fight we've had since Lennox Lewis.

Haye vs K.

I love to watch boxing when I don't care who wins. I can just follow the styles of the boxers and see the bout unfold like a chess match. But I don't think I can enjoy watching this one. I really want Haye to win. I think he's a nice guy, and Klitschko is not my cup of tea.

I don't know what the official odds are, but I'd put it at Haye $1.89 Klitschko $1.91. That is, it's 51/49 in Haye's favour for me. I rekcon Haye's defence might be quicker than Klitschko's attack, which means that he might be able to stay in the bout until the later rounds. The further the fight goes, the more I like Haye to win, probably by points, but you never know, maybe TKO.

What do you think?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I don't know what the official odds are, but I'd put it at Haye $1.89 Klitschko $1.91. That is, it's 51/49 in Haye's favour for me. I rekcon Haye's defence might be quicker than Klitschko's attack, which means that he might be able to stay in the bout until the later rounds. The further the fight goes, the more I like Haye to win, probably by points, but you never know, maybe TKO.

What do you think?

Klitschko should be the clear favourite, Haye probably around $2.50. It'll be a huge step up for Haye but I'll be cheering him on still, gotta go with the underdog.

Here's the Face Off HBO had a few weeks ago which is worth a watch if you're interested.

[video=youtube;-lDZhnxAwS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDZhnxAwS0[/video]

I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Haye at $2.50 - you're right. I'll go grab some of that action now. I think that defence is sometimes under-rated when looking at match-ups. I can't see Klitschko actually hitting Haye all that often. (Famous last words)

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Haye at $2.50 - you're right. I'll go grab some of that action now. I think that defence is sometimes under-rated when looking at match-ups. I can't see Klitschko actually hitting Haye all that often. (Famous last words)

Yep just looked it up, Haye $2.70 for the win, but $11.50 to win by decision! If you saw how he went about the Nikolai bout, that's very juicy.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Famous last words here. There is no way that Haye who is chinny, and yes I do realise that his opponent has been knocked the fuck out by Purrity, Brewster and Sanders, will be able to walk through Wlad's jab which like his brother Vitaly is more like a straight right. if Haye wins I will do nude run ( In my bathroom). Seriously though , Haye has beaten Valuev and nobody else. Surely he cant beat a Klitschko. I am pay per viewing it and I look forward to either being humiliated or carried out of the room on someones shoulders. Wlad in 6.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If you were nude, I wouldn't have you on my shoulders.

Don't you think that Haye's defensive moves are fast? Plus he is smart, not like that poor bastard Samuel Peter.

I rate this fight 50/50. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.