• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boxing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thoughts on last nights $BW fight? I'm not a boxing afficianado, but last nights fight had the feel of rock and roll wrestling about it to me.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think the walk out to the ring exhausted Tillman. It lasted longer than his time in it.

Who sanctions this fight. Tillman couldn't protect himself from my Granny.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Very poor refereeing as well. Tillman should have been given an 8 count much earlier. When a bloke is faced away from his opponent hanging onto the ropes to stand up, that's an 8 count.

SBW is making himself no friends with these bullshit fights. Mundine quit football and took the sport up seriously. He started with bums and quickly moved up to serious opponents. SBW has no talent or promise that I can see. He should stop wasting everybody's time.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't really care if SBW's boxing career goes anywhere. All I want to see is him and Barry Hall in a slug fest.

Did anyone see JCC jr and Rubio on the weekend? Not a bad fight, I could hardly pick a round either way but I think JCC was probably a worthy winner

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
SBW's footwork is very ordinary, almost overbalanced after one punch - interestingly before the fight he considered the Heavyweight title to be on par with an NRL premiership and a Rugby World Cup :p

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
SBW's footwork is very ordinary, almost overbalanced after one punch - interestingly before the fight he considered the Heavyweight title to be on par with an NRL premiership and a Rugby World Cup :p

Well he's the only bloke in the world who has won all three to be able to make that call. It's popular to hate him, but he is a freak athlete that's for sure.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Well he's the only bloke in the world who has won all three to be able to make that call. It's popular to hate him, but he is a freak athlete that's for sure.
Let me start again - SBW is a great athlete who has NRL and World Cup titles to his name and came within a converted try of a SuperXV title. Mr Tillman is not - it looks like he got the timing on his carbo loading a bit haywire - he started about 20 years too soon. I would like to see Mr Tillman match up against any of the NZ Warriors pack, Barry Hall, Adrian Morley circa 2004, Steve Bowden circa 1981, or even better Steve Finanne circa 1978 ("hit 'im now Steve - the ref's not looking" unknown spectator - seating in front of Bob Stand).

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Go easy - he's won 2 champoinships playing a rugby football code, and is apparently the 3rd worst boxer in New Zealand. Let's see him on Dancing with the Stars before we decide he's a freak athlete.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't think anyone can doubt:

1. SBW is an extraordinary athlete;
2. None of his boxing opponents have been extraordinary athletes.

It's not knocking SBW to acknowledge the second and it's not doing him justice to acclaim him as all conquering (and I'm not suggesting anyone on here has) simply by virtue of his achievements in the ring against what have generally been mediocre, at best, opponents.

I suspect if he gave it time, he would do quite well at boxing. Juggling that and a rugby career means he can't call out top class boxers just yet.

Congratulations to him though. It is a remarkable achievement (which by definition is true).

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
NZ heavyweight chamption is not exactly an illustrious title, but regardless of what anybody says, he's done it, so good on him.

Be interesting to see how he went against Shane Cameron & in the longer term, David Tua - I think in the long term he could beat Cameron, but doubt he would ever be able to beat Tua. Just wish he would commit to one sport/project

I suspect at the moment his next project is a menage a trois with Matty Ridge's family, media seems to suggest he may get that goal as well. Can't deny his ability to get the goals he sets!

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I hate good looking, muscular, ripped, successful pricks like SBW. On sight and on principal. :)

Nah, good on him. He knows he can't shape up to a serious contender right now - too much on his plate and skills are still developing. His strength, fitness and general aptitude will get him a long way though. Most heavy weights these days don't seem to be great boxers, at least from the bouts I very occasionally see. But I mean VERY occasionally, so I am the last to comment.

I read this and very few names looked familiar.

http://boxing.about.com/cs/rankingschampions/a/bl_heavy.htm

I get the feeling this guy would murder him :D

article-0-0AFC1240000005DC-64_468x312.jpg

Wladimir Klitschko

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Some guy called Dereck Chisora slaps Vitali Klitschko in the face (then sensibly, runs away).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/17/dereck-chisora-slaps-vitali-klitschko

In Vitali's own words: "You're fucked now, Dereck, you are really fucked."
Is Dereck an outlaw, or just horribly deformed? Is he concerned about boxing-SARS? I can't quite fathom the face-scarf when you're poncing around in your undies.
I think Dereck will get an almighty can of whoop-ass opened upon him, and he seems to be entirely deserving.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Why are you surprised? For some of these guys, and Chisora sounds like one, boxing is the only thing saving them from a probable life of gangs and crime. Tyson was another.

The Klitschko brothers are obviously not in the same category.

Status
Not open for further replies.