• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Breaking the Post-RWC Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The announcement today that Stephen Moore will stick around post the RWC 2015 for at least 1 more year is a positive development in this troublesome time for Aussie Rugby.

I am fearful that we will lose a bucketload of players post the big one next year, of all levels. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has already confirmed he is off, and there are rumours aplenty on the likes of QC (Quade Cooper), Kev, Genia, Izzy etc.

I wanted to try and track who has signed post the RWC, at the risk of duplicating some information already in respective state threads, but this is who I have as of now. Let me know if there are any I am missing:

Reds:
  • Karmichael Hunt (2017)
  • Ben Daley (2016)
  • James O'Connor (2016)
  • Duncan Paia-aua (2016)
Brumbies:
  • Matt To'omua (2017)
  • Stephen Moore (2016)
  • Nick White (2016)
  • Christian Lealiifano (2016)
  • Alaan Ala'alatoa (2016)
  • Tom Staniforth (2016)
  • Henry Speight (2016)
  • Nighel Ah Wong (2016)
  • Michael Dowsett (2016)
  • Joe Tomane (2016)
Force:
  • Chris Heiberg (2016)
  • Junior Rasolea (2016)
  • Chris Alcock (2016)
  • Rory Walton (2016)
  • Angus Cottrell (2016)
  • Nathan Charles (2016)
  • Adam Coleman (2016)
  • Oliver Hoskings (2016)
  • Alby Mathewson (2016)
  • Wilhelm Steenkamp (2016)
  • Kyle Godwin (2016)
Rebels:
  • Colby Fainga'a (2016)
  • Luke Jones (2016)
  • Toby Smith (2016)
  • Sean McMahon (2016)
  • Scott Fugistaller (2016)
  • Tom English (2016)
  • Pat Leafa (2016)
  • Jonah Placid (2016)
  • Dom Shipperley (2016)
  • Cameron Crawford (2016)
  • Mike Harris (2016)
Waratahs:
  • I've got nothing, but that may just be the information available.
So Brumbies and Force doing damn well, Rebels too. Reds are concerning and Waratahs potentially disastrous?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wanted to try and track who has signed post the RWC, at the risk of duplicating some information already in respective state threads, but this is who I have as of now. Let me know if there are any I am missing:

Brumbies:

• Matt To'omua (2017)
  • Stephen Moore (2016)
  • Nick White (2016)
  • Christian Lealiifano (2016)
  • Alaan Ala'alatoa (2016)
  • Tom Staniforth (2016)
  • Henry Speight (2016)
  • Nighel Ah Wong (2016)
  • Michael Dowsett (2016)
  • Joe Tomane (2016)

So Brumbies and Force doing damn well, Rebels too. Reds are concerning and Waratahs potentially disastrous?
As far as I can check it out, you can add Jarrad Butler and Scott Sio to the Brumbies' list for 2016. Also, Peter Ryan has been appointed as Contact Coach for either 2 or 3 years I believe.

So, that's 7 current Wallabies (incl Speight) locked in for 2016 and five others (Ben Alexander, Sam Carter, Scott Fardy, David Pocock and Jesse Mogg) on the books for next year and therefore potential signings beyond the RWC.

Other new signings include Dargaville, Doyle, Arnold and Enever, with Makin and Iona added to the Extended Training Squad, or whatever it is called now. Current players re-signed include Auelua, Smiler and the Smith twins I believe, but not sure for how long. Some talk that Taliauli might be signed as a winger.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Force:

• Chris Heiberg (2016)
  • Junior Rasolea (2016)
  • Chris Alcock (2016)
  • Rory Walton (2016)
  • Angus Cottrell (2016)
  • Nathan Charles (2016)
  • Adam Coleman (2016)
  • Oliver Hoskings (2016)
  • Alby Mathewson (2016)
  • Wilhelm Steenkamp (2016)
  • Kyle Godwin (2016)
You can add in Steve Mafi I think. Pretty sure Sias Ebersohn will sign for another 2 or 3 in the next week or so. We just signed Albert Nikoro- it might have only been a one year deal but could have been 2 which might see him added to the list.

We are pretty lucky- we keep the core of our squad for 2016 which is likely to be when a number of teams will lose players through the exodus.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You can add in Steve Mafi I think. Pretty sure Sias Ebersohn will sign for another 2 or 3 in the next week or so. We just signed Albert Nikoro- it might have only been a one year deal but could have been 2 which might see him added to the list.

We are pretty lucky- we keep the core of our squad for 2016 which is likely to be when a number of teams will lose players through the exodus.

You blokes should be bloody excited about next year. I'm not a huge Force fan but I am. You have had that breakout year and the possibilities from that are encouraging. You blokes also got a great foundation to adapt a few things in your game to keep your competition on their toes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah the Force brought a real hard c*** approach to their footy this year that they can build on for next. Shame they lost Longbottom but there are some handy forwards there that just need someone like Godwin to step up and spark them.

As for the Tahs - no AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), no Folau probably. Maybe no Beale. The front row might be around, but where are the replacements coming from? Tilse has been there 8 years or so and never stepped up past Robinson, though I personally think Jeremy has a better shape for THP. But then - Kepu.

There are plenty of young blokes in the pack though as well as the backs, so we should be OK, or able to recruit from elsewhere. Lot of blokes stuck their hand up in NRC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst it's great to see Stephen Moore deciding to stay in Australia, it's an interesting time to be re-signing someone that far ahead that is both towards the latter part of their career and yet to return from a serious injury.

He'll be 33 at the start of the 2016 season and is yet to return from an ACL reconstruction. Like everyone else, I agree he's our best hooker and his form prior to injury was superb. It's hard to deny there's a risk involved though.

I think this decision is reasonable. He's a genuine star and a leader which we sorely need (whether captain or not). It's undeniable that it's a risky position to take though.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
As far as I can check it out, you can add Jarrad Butler and Scott Sio to the Brumbies' list for 2016. Also, Peter Ryan has been appointed as Contact Coach for either 2 or 3 years I believe.

So, that's 7 current Wallabies (incl Speight) locked in for 2016 and five others (Ben Alexander, Sam Carter, Scott Fardy, David Pocock and Jesse Mogg) on the books for next year and therefore potential signings beyond the RWC.

Other new signings include Dargaville, Doyle, Arnold and Enever, with Makin and Iona added to the Extended Training Squad, or whatever it is called now. Current players re-signed include Auelua, Smiler and the Smith twins I believe, but not sure for how long. Some talk that Taliauli might be signed as a winger.

Whats the go with Kuridrani , would be great if he could be kept in the mix for the Wallabies for a long time to come!.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whilst it's great to see Stephen Moore deciding to stay in Australia, it's an interesting time to be re-signing someone that far ahead that is both towards the latter part of their career and yet to return from a serious injury.

He'll be 33 at the start of the 2016 season and is yet to return from an ACL reconstruction. Like everyone else, I agree he's our best hooker and his form prior to injury was superb. It's hard to deny there's a risk involved though.

I think this decision is reasonable. He's a genuine star and a leader which we sorely need (whether captain or not). It's undeniable that it's a risky position to take though.

Signing anybody is really a risk isn't it? Risk that they won't be up to required standard (if new to Super rugby), or risk of injury etc. To my mind, signing the current Wallaby hooker (except for injury) is less of a risk than say signing an X-factor player who can't control his behaviours, and there are a couple of them around.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whats the go with Kuridrani , would be great if he could be kept in the mix for the Wallabies for a long time to come!.

How could I miss TK? Should be included in the list of current Wallabies already on the books. I'm not sure if he has signed only until 2015 of if beyond.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Hopefully he's keen to stay in Aus until at least the 2019 RWC!!.

We are yet to see the best of this player - exceptional, and could teach... almost everyone else on our team list... alot about what it means to hit an opposition backline with serious prejudice.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Any word on how long Paul Alo-Emile is signed on with the Rebels? Would be great to see him stay in Oz as IMHO he is our next long-term THP. At least get him capped or Oz A so that if he wants to play international he would need to return to Oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.