• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Heard, but didn't see, that the Country scrum was dominant over the City. Was this accurate and consistent throughout the match? Wondering, if so, was it a negative reflection on the props, or the efforts of the locks/backrow etc?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Heard, but didn't see, that the Country scrum was dominant over the City. Was this accurate and consistent throughout the match? Wondering, if so, was it a negative reflection on the props, or the efforts of the locks/backrow etc?

Not at all. The scrum battle was back and forth and showcased how even the matchups were until late into the game when Thor and company come on. City closed the match with two or three scrum penalties.
City were down to seven men for a period where country took full advantage at set piece but the battle was even. Quite impressive some scrums.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty huge to get up on a 3/4 Brumbies Team! Wish I could have watched it. Anyone keen to share any special/ interesting notes on it?

T

TOCC

Its interesting to note that whilst Brisbane City has gone back to back they have done so on the back of two vastly different squads. There are only 7 players in the 2015 GF team who played in the 2014 GF team. 5 players are in the same positions as they were in 2014, and 2 more in Korczyk and Laloifi have moved from the bench to the starting team.

2014/2015
1. Paraka/Mafi
2. Ready/Ready
3. Faagase/Talakai
4. Kotze/Hyne
5. McDuling/Neville
6. Browning/Beauchamp
7. Gill/Gill
8. Shatz/Korczyk
9. Frisby/Frisby
10.McIntyre/McIntyre
11. Feaunati/Laloifi
12. Mullins/Taefu
13. White/Kerevi
14. Kuridrani/Kuridrani
15. Va'aulu/Hunt

16. Mafi/Freney
17. Feao/Vanzati
18. Kite/Fotuaika
19. Buchanan/Thomas
20. Korczyk/Setu
21. Thompson/Sorovi
21. Dalgleish/Gibbon
22. Laloifi/Tela

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Its interesting to note that whilst Brisbane City has gone back to back they have done so on the back of two vastly different squads. There are only 7 players in the 2015 GF team who played in the 2014 GF team. 5 players are in the same positions as they were in 2014, and 2 more in Korczyk and Laloifi have moved from the bench to the starting team.

2014/2015
1. Paraka/Mafi
2. Ready/Ready
3. Faagase/Talakai
4. Kotze/Hyne
5. McDuling/Neville
6. Browning/Beauchamp
7. Gill/Gill
8. Shatz/Korczyk
9. Frisby/Frisby
10.McIntyre/McIntyre
11. Feaunati/Laloifi
12. Mullins/Taefu
13. White/Kerevi
14. Kuridrani/Kuridrani
15. Va'aulu/Hunt

16. Mafi/Freney
17. Feao/Vanzati
18. Kite/Fotuaika
19. Buchanan/Thomas
20. Korczyk/Setu
21. Thompson/Sorovi
21. Dalgleish/Gibbon
22. Laloifi/Tela

That's pretty interesting. I have to admit I haven't been following as closely this year so I couldn't say why the squads are so different. Do you/someone mind summarising some of the players' movements and injuries?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Paraka is injured, Kite went to the ACT to try to make the Brumbies (then disappeared, injured?), Feao is with the Eagles this NRC I think?

Kotze and McDuling went overseas (Kotze Europe?, McDuling SA), not sure on Buchanan.

Browning and Schatz are injured, I think both should be back for the pre-season? Both were ruled out before the comp started.

White is in the City squad again I think, and apart from Dalgleish (I think he is in either the City or Qld Country squads) the rest weren't needed I think.

edit: note that from the final last year, Talakai and Kerevi were injured and didn't play, but probably would have started otherwise, and Paraka was injured and would have started this year otherwise.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I need name suggestions first. Assuming Brisbane City Tornadoes is out?

Options:

Flora/Fauna = Brisbane City Bullsharks (with permission sort from the mighty Taylor Bridge Bullsharks); Brisbane City Bats; Bush Turkeys; Kookaburras; etc

Adjectives/associations: Brisbane Heat; Brisbane Storm; Brisbane Thunder; Brisbane Sweat; Brisbane Lightning.

Identities: What about ex-players? Brisbane City Crofties; Brisbane City Moons; Brisbane City Hardmans; Brisbane City Slacks; Brisbane City Kefus; Brisbane City Knuckles.

I am usually opposed to team mascot names and was happy with just being Brisbane but had a road to Damascus moment today.

Can we become the Brisbane Plovers?

In 50 years time hopefully we will still have a team in a successful NRC competition (and still be on a winning streak!!!) and I think it would be great to be the Plovers in recognition of our first undefeated season where we won the competition with the assistance of some home ground plovers.

It would be a great story and I doubt there are any other sporting teams especially at a high level that have a plover as a mascot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how the team shapes up this season.

Much of their game has been built around Gill, Frisby, Kerevi and Hunt.

I don't think Gill will play a role this year and the other three I reckon could well be on Wallaby duty.

Perhaps something like:

15 Laloifi
14 Felsman
13 Gibbon
12 Teafu
11 Kuridrani
10 McIntyre
9 Gale

8 Browning
7 Gunn
6 Korzcyk ??
5 Neville
4 Hocking
3 Talakai
2 Ready
1 Paraka

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
That's certainly a much more balanced and beatable NRC squad than the quasi-Super Rugby team they had playing last season!

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)

I don't think Gill will play a role this year and the other three I reckon could well be on Wallaby duty.

Perhaps something like:

15 Laloifi
14 Felsman
13 Gibbon
12 Teafu
11 Kuridrani
10 McIntyre
9 Gale

8 Browning
7 Gunn
6 Korzcyk ??
5 Neville
4 Hocking
3 Talakai
2 Ready
1 Paraka

Highly doubt Hockings would be playing NRC this year (but even if so, just letting you know, I think he'd play for Country given his background of growing up in a rural area).

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Perhaps something like:

15 Laloifi
14 Felsman
13 Gibbon
12 Teafu
11 Kuridrani
10 McIntyre
9 Gale

8 Browning
7 Gunn
6 Korzcyk ??
5 Neville
4 Hocking
3 Talakai
2 Ready
1 Paraka

Smith? Quade also if he doesn't get selected for the wallabies (and comes back)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Highly doubt Hockings would be playing NRC this year (but even if so, just letting you know, I think he'd play for Country given his background of growing up in a rural area).

yeah I was banking on Rodha and Tui being in the country team. But one of them could swap with Hockings. But get your point about his chances of being in the NRC. Just not many locks going around.

T

TOCC

An interesting one will be who is the coach, if Nic Stiles gets the Reds or Force gig then i assume he won't coach Brisbane City. Will Nic Stiles stay at the Reds if MOC gets picked as HC?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's happening with Qld NRC 2016? Most of the other NRC Teams coaches and management have been appointed and in some cases training squads named already. 6 weeks to go and mum is the word in Qld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

They didn't announce last years squads until August, expect a similar announcement this year.. Players from the QPR teams who don't make the finals will be made aware and training together as their teams are knocked out of the QPR based on last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.