• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd imagine they could've cobbled together two more teams from the left over Australians and New Zealanders.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Were the South African sides not interested in being part of this? It looks like only the Bulls are participating. I would have thought that a team like the Lions would have been good in a 10s format. Add in them and an Argentinian side and they would have had even pools too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Were the South African sides not interested in being part of this? It looks like only the Bulls are participating.

I have no idea who was invited but I'd guess travel is the big issue.

An extra trip across the Indian Ocean was probably a deal breaker as far as the 10s was concerned for most South African teams.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm sure the intent is to fill those two spots in the next few years once the competition is established. As far as contenders go I'd guess they might be looking at 2 of Fiji, English premiership sides, other south African sides and the jaguares first up.

T

TOCC

What about thinking outside the box and getting an Asian side, or sides, involved? Rugby is very popular in Sri Lanka, yet they get bugger all recognition from the established tier 1 and 2 countries. I'd put feelers out to invite Sri Lanka and Hong Kong next year; if not HK, China.

Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Sri_Lanka

Panasonic Wild Knights don't count?

Rugby is popular one Sri Lanka, bit they struggle to put together a competitive 7's team let alone a a Ten's team against the best clubs in the world. Likewise with China and Hong Kong.. expansion shouldn't be at the exspense of competitiveness.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know a few players who have been to Sri Lanka to play in some sevens tournaments and have been paid in gem stones. I think it's a few wealthy guys trying to get it off the ground.

I think Hong Kong would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I know a few players who have been to Sri Lanka to play in some sevens tournaments and have been paid in gem stones. I think it's a few wealthy guys trying to get it off the ground.

I think Hong Kong would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They're looking to build a domestic franchise based 7s league. Had two events this year but want to grow it to about 6 if I remember correctly.

T

TOCC

They're looking to build a domestic franchise based 7s league. Had two events this year but want to grow it to about 6 if I remember correctly.

an article recently shed light on Rugby Union in Sri Lanka, the former president was a big rugby fan and gave rugby a privileged status.. however he lost office last year and now allegations of serious corruption and even murder have tarnished rugbys reputation in the country.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
an article recently shed light on Rugby Union in Sri Lanka, the former president was a big rugby fan and gave rugby a privileged status.. however he lost office last year and now allegations of serious corruption and even murder have tarnished rugbys reputation in the country.

Still hasn't hurt the overall popularity of the game in the country. Just confirmed what many suspected about the then ruling family.

T

TOCC

Still hasn't hurt the overall popularity of the game in the country. Just confirmed what many suspected about the then ruling family.

It will likely/and reportedly has impacted on the funding and exposure that the game was offered..

In either case, i really don't think they would be able to put forward a competitive team towards the Brisbane 10's

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There was some pretty decent ads for this on Foxtel this weekend, nearly had me considering going to it

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I'm thinking about it, and given our season doesn't start until April 22, there is plenty of time to organise it.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Latham confirmed... which i dont get. he was awesomeq, but have to be early 40s at least now. i dont get the wild card thing, unless it was an overseas ring-in - which would unlikely work due to contracts etc.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Latham confirmed. which i dont get. he was awesomeq, but have to be early 40s at least now. i dont get the wild card thing, unless it was an overseas ring-in - which would unlikely work due to contracts etc.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He's 41 according to what I've read on The Roar. I agree on the whole wildcard thing. While I like the concept I really dislike the wildcard gimmick. I think it detracts from the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.