• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah it's odd. There's a blank space in the draw and I expect they will actually have a Masters or Celebrity game as well.

But these names (like in the Auckland 9s) are a promotional tool. It's a way to confirm appearances now to kick along ticket sales (actual playing squads probably won't be named until the week before) as well as covering for any potential 'no shows' should the likes of Quade or Izzy be 'injured'.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I like the wildcard idea, great for promotion, gets kids the opportunity to watch some of the greats of the game they otherwise would never have seen. And if the Auckland 9's is anything to go by, the wild cards often do surprisingly well.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep I am probably one of the biggest Latho fans getting around. But....

There was a Classic Match at Ballymore on the eve of one of the B&IL matches (vs Reds or Wallabies - can't rememeber) the other year. An ANZAC XV vs a B&IL XV. Latham played for the ANZAC XV and it was remarkable how much pace he had lost. There was one play where he had a hole in the backline that Stephen Hawking couldv'e gotten through but it closed before he got there.

I think that match was organised inside about a week or two tops so he possibly was unfit. With a solid lead up to the 10's he could be in better shape but it's hard to see him being a whole lot better.

Great draw card but I would hate for guys like him and Umanga playing turn it into a bit of a joke.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Yep I am probably one of the biggest Latho fans getting around. But..

There was a Classic Match at Ballymore on the eve of one of the B&IL matches (vs Reds or Wallabies - can't rememeber) the other year. An ANZAC XV vs a B&IL XV. Latham played for the ANZAC XV and it was remarkable how much pace he had lost. There was one play where he had a hole in the backline that Stephen Hawking couldv'e gotten through but it closed before he got there.

I think that match was organised inside about a week or two tops so he possibly was unfit. With a solid lead up to the 10's he could be in better shape but it's hard to see him being a whole lot better.

Great draw card but I would hate for guys like him and Umanga playing turn it into a bit of a joke.

I guess there also needs to be wise selections from the franchises on who they invite to be the wildcard. Maybe latho wasn't the best choice considering the above

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From the Brumbies website:

"The Brumbies will announce the rest of their squad for the tournament in February with the name of a major wildcard player to be released in January."

Wildcard could be Stephen Larkham (hopefully). I'd guess he is as fit as many of the players will be given his time with the Wallabies and the Brumbies in training. Saw him play a 'golden oldies' type game a couple of years ago, and he still has his old skills. Wouldn't let the side down if he had a few minutes here and there.

Otherwise, George Smith?

T

TOCC

Larkham may be an option, not sure the head coach should be playing for the team during what is essentially pre-season though.

It would be unprecedented for the Reds to release G.Smith to play for an opposition team, they will be managing his workload down to a fine detail.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
From the Brumbies website:

"The Brumbies will announce the rest of their squad for the tournament in February with the name of a major wildcard player to be released in January."

Wildcard could be Stephen Larkham (hopefully). I'd guess he is as fit as many of the players will be given his time with the Wallabies and the Brumbies in training. Saw him play a 'golden oldies' type game a couple of years ago, and he still has his old skills. Wouldn't let the side down if he had a few minutes here and there.

Otherwise, George Smith?

Correct on your first guess, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.