• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fittler did pretty well in the 9's a couple of years ago at about the same age and neither Latham or Larkham would put their hand up for it if they thought there was a chance of embarrassing themselves. I doubt either will get a huge amount of minutes and they'll avoid getting tackled with the ball as much as possible. They certainly provide publicity and intrigue, everyone will be cheering them on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I expect that the legends involvement will be very limited in the actual tournament.

Latham is clearly be used extensively to promote the event as he doesn't have the same preseason training requirements as the majority of the players. I reckon most of the reason they decided to involve legends is so Latham can do this job.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Massive billboard advertising the 10's on Airport Drive just as you leave Brisbane's International terminal but I've yet to see anything on the back or side of a bus (but I'm now more familiar than I really need to be with Hit 105's new brekky lineup :)) or taxi, or elsewhere. Sprinkling of ads on the Brisbane Times & Courier Mail websites but again fairly low-scale. Hopefully they're holding back until New Years is done & going big after that.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am a bit disappointing at the "legends" being involved.

The tournament had some credibility due to teams having to provide certain players- eg high paid high quality players for a preseason tournament.

This credibility disappears as soon as people who don't even play are involved.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Massive billboard advertising the 10's on Airport Drive just as you leave Brisbane's International terminal but I've yet to see anything on the back or side of a bus (but I'm now more familiar than I really need to be with Hit 105's new brekky lineup :)) or taxi, or elsewhere. Sprinkling of ads on the Brisbane Times & Courier Mail websites but again fairly low-scale. Hopefully they're holding back until New Years is done & going big after that.

TV ads are running on Fox.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ Foxtel's market share being what it is, that alone isn't likely to generate much interest much less ticket sales. Need to be pushing it on FTA, radio etc plus of course social media. But like I said, maybe they're waiting for the silly season to wrap up so there's not as much competition for the punters eyes & ears.

Do we know how ticket sales are going?

I've not seen any figures which is usually an indication things aren't going so well.

T

TOCC

Toulon expected to bring Gill and JOC (James O'Connor) down under, Giteau makes his return from injury this week so could be another inclusion.

Berrick Barnes will be coming with Panasonic and rumours that Digby Ioane may come across with the Crusaders..

It's going to be a Reds/Wallaby reunion by the sounds of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Being a 6 Nations weekend, you'd imagine that Toulon would be largely composed of Southern Hemisphere Players, some Frenchies and Samu Manoa.

Probably not even any Georgians given its an ERC weekend too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Chance to push for starting places and impress coaches?

Plus free trip to Australia in the middle of winter.

Halfpenny, Bastareaud, Mermoz, FTD, STB, Gorgodze, Guirado, Chiocci, Ollivon and Chilichava probably required by National coaches, and that's the cream of Toulon's NH contingent.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No guarantees, though. And I suppose I really should have asked, what is in it for the franchise owners?
Club owners.

Boudejal's a nutter. But one with a Rugby brain and business sense.

He wants Toulon's brand everywhere, and he wants to grow the global game. I think, accounting for scale, he wants Toulon to have the Rugby equivalent power of a big 4 English Side, or a Barca, or a Real, or a Juventus.

Long way to go though. Was listening to Triple J and the 3 times I got sports news I got three different mispronunciations of Toulon, and none of them even seemed to try putting on a stereotypical French accent in your head and working it out that way (80% of the time it works every time).

They're one of the few LNR clubs turning a profit though, so they must be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.