• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Foxtel are going all in on club rugby as reported - I wonder if that will have implications on scheduling going forward. You would imagine they would want maximum viewership rather than 10 games all being played at the same time.

We could see Friday night, Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo matches being played and televised similar to the league Intrust Cup.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Foxtel are going all in on club rugby as reported - I wonder if that will have implications on scheduling going forward. You would imagine they would want maximum viewership rather than 10 games all being played at the same time.

We could see Friday night, Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo matches being played and televised similar to the league Intrust Cup.

i am assuming they will have a big say in the way the comp is run and I am sure they will be trying to maximize viewers, and yes they would love nothing more than to outrate a SRTT match on Optus

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Packaging quite clever - as foxtel wants just club rugby it takes club rugby, NCC and schools matches - leaving super rugby, super 8 , SOU and tests to Optus / ten

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Haven't read the articles but was there anything about a FTA match of the round for Super Rugby? That was a key component of Raelenes plan

They talk about one super rugby match a week being televised on FTA which is what currently happens. Sadly I don’t think we will solve the FTA issue with this broadcast deal. Maybe getting SOU on FTA May be a way to start

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
They talk about one super rugby match a week being televised on FTA which is what currently happens. Sadly I don’t think we will solve the FTA issue with this broadcast deal. Maybe getting SOU on FTA May be a way to start
Think they mean live and in prime time. Not a 10am Sunday replay of a Friday game

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

That being the case will it splinter the supporter base that usually likes the weekly afternoon outing? We know Union people really aren't ones for change. Peter to pay Paul?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep you ain’t going to take on club rugby and have all matches scheduled at same time - rugby might finally be growing up

Ah, now I think you have hit on the biggest question that may expose RA's broadcast offering and show their immaturity.

As a broadcaster, if you are buying the "superior" product, you will want a non-competitive clause in the deal so the "lesser" product, club rugby etc cannot provide any competition. This may be the biggest hurdle RA wll face with a split package and the real reason its attention from the market. The "clauses" will heavily influence the value of the primary products.

I actually think it's why Foxtel are so eager to buy up the club rugby. Divide and conquer me suspects.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Inside word is Optus not bidding this time unfortunately. Shame given they were serious pre-Covid.

I suspect they may have been interested initially thinking here might be change to the product to a more Australian domestic bais which would provide a better ROI noting OPTUS only has an Australian footprint. But with RA still obsessed with TT etc, it may be considering the value.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I suspect they may have been interested initially thinking here might be change to the product to a more Australian domestic bais which would provide a better ROI noting OPTUS only has an Australian footprint. But with RA still obsessed with TT etc, it may be considering the value.

What’s this based on?

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)

Optus were planning to bid pre-COVID when the 14 team Super Rugby model with SA was still part of the offering. Strategy was mainly to hurt Telstra via telco revenues and stealing Kayo/Foxtel market share).

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Optus were planning to bid pre-COVID when the 14 team Super Rugby model with SA was still part of the offering. Strategy was mainly to hurt Telstra via telco revenues and stealing Kayo/Foxtel market share).
I am not really convinced that the current full end game, maybe a past one, and only a small part of their thinking and motivation. Kayo / Foxtel aren't really aren't hurting them and certainly not providing Telstra with any real financial benefits.

Remember Optus were tyre kicking and most likely would have been thinking future; including what impact COVID would have and what would make them $$ in the future. Advertising revenue is a central consideration.

https://www.adnews.com.au/news/foxtel-loses-broadcast-subscribers-but-kayo-up