• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is not particularly the thread for comparing streaming TV services but I reckon Amazon has a lot of great content and is fantastic value at $7 a month.

I reckon I watch more on it than Netflix.

I will have nothing to do with Amazon. We had a hacking incident a few weeks ago, a phone call from what turned out to be a spurious source, but they had our landline number, my name, and they knew something about the account (we were due for an instalment on a Prime subscription). It took me a while to work out that they were crooks. I immediately contacted Amazon, or tried to. They were monumentally uninterested.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I will have nothing to do with Amazon. We had a hacking incident a few weeks ago, a phone call from what turned out to be a spurious source, but they had our landline number, my name, and they knew something about the account (we were due for an instalment on a Prime subscription). It took me a while to work out that they were crooks. I immediately contacted Amazon, or tried to. They were monumentally uninterested.

Yes. Similarly I decided I will have nothing to do with the ATO forever more after someone called me pretending they were the ATO and tried to scam me. o_O

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I wouldn't necessarily say your Amazon account was 'hacked', but it's possible there's been a data leak somewhere with your details that includes whether you're an Amazon account.

Plug your email into; https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and you may get an idea of how many data breaches you're info is in (and these are just the ones made public to Troy Hunt).

It's entirely possible that the scams go on luck of the draw. Similar to energy/bank scams where most Australians are with 1-4 energy or banks, you could call a random number and have a high chance that you've landed someone with an ANZ etc account.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You'd snap their hand off at 25-30 mil but with FTA. Surely.

The extra 10 mil a year to paywall it would not be worthwhile. With a bit of marketing and a fresh approach to punditry they could Make Rugby Great Again.

A couple of wins against the Darkness would do our negotiating a world of good.

Issue is we need money to keep the talent as part of the product. To me surely taking a punt for extra $10m got to be worth it for 9 and reckon they will match Foxtel bid if pushed.

Biggest issue though is we don’t know how much content on FTA vs Stan but in principle - nine / Stan option sounds attractive

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is really cool is we at least know we are going to get a broadcast deal - more now who with - and say nine / Stan take the Mai. Game I wonder if Foxtel pitch for club and schools rugby with national club championship

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan has been losing content with Amazon, Disney and now Binge taking a greater slice of the exclusive rights for SVOD content.
Increasing sports content is a fight to remain relevant.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
BBoomer Wamberal all up in here.

I can't see any sports package being included by default in the $7 a month plan though. Boy oh boy do I love it though.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
What is really cool is we at least know we are going to get a broadcast deal - more now who with - and say nine / Stan take the Mai. Game I wonder if Foxtel pitch for club and schools rugby with national club championship

I really hope not. Last thing I want is to have to keep Foxtel/Kayo to watch the club game if Super Rugby/Internationals move to another platform/service. I was really hoping one service would take the who package, you could then have some reasonable Rugby shows promoting all aspects of the game if that was the case.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan > Fox/Kayo anyway. It's cheaper and you get more stuff.
Biggest issue for Stan is that it’s smaller then Fox / Kayo, but also growth has slowed in the face of increased competition, Disney and Amazon are adding more people per qtr and from a smaller base.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Are there any professional sports competitions in Aus that play mid-week (Tues, Wed, thurs) instead of on the weekend? I'm just wondering how much ratings would drop if a FTA broadcaster tried to promote a sporting competition to households on those nights at 7.30pm instead of say, Nija Warrior.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am wondering if nine take up rugby how much would be shown on FTA and main channels vs its other digital channels and on Stan

As unlike league unlikely they are going to want to put super rugby on prime time slots on its main channel

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I am wondering if nine take up rugby how much would be shown on FTA and main channels vs its other digital channels and on Stan

As unlike league unlikely they are going to want to put super rugby on prime time slots on its main channel
If they're paying for it, they'll probably put the Super Rugby on one of the multi-channels. I'm sure it would outrate whatever 9Rush has on Saturday night.