• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just got an email from DANZ

Thanks to your help on the series of beta testing, we are pleased to share that today, we officially announce that DAZN’s Global platform will launch 1st December.

Could be a player?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
9 deal would be very good, so long as it has a main channel FTA component at prime time

The next thing I am hoping for is for FOX to pick up Shute Shield/ & Hospital cup and promote it hard and give it the love it deserves. They just might find themselves with a pretty fair audience for peanuts. If some money from the rights filters down to the clubs then things might start looking up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
9 deal would be very good, so long as it has a main channel FTA component at prime time

The next thing I am hoping for is for FOX to pick up Shute Shield/ & Hospital cup and promote it hard and give it the love it deserves. They just might find themselves with a pretty fair audience for peanuts. If some money from the rights filters down to the clubs then things might start looking up.

Wasnt club included in the offering?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

My issue with this is I don't want to keep Fox just for the SS. I was hoping for someone to take the lot. Be nice to have some actual Rugby shows that could then provide commentary on all the Rugby, not just the properties said operator owned. Feel like we never get the promotion of the game as a whole.

Also as an aside, who has the Pro 14 in AU now? Rugbypass sent me an email saying they no longer do. Is Fox or BeIN or someone got the rights now?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My issue with this is I don't want to keep Fox just for the SS. I was hoping for someone to take the lot. Be nice to have some actual Rugby shows that could then provide commentary on all the Rugby, not just the properties said operator owned. Feel like we never get the promotion of the game as a whole.

Also as an aside, who has the Pro 14 in AU now? Rugbypass sent me an email saying they no longer do. Is Fox or BeIN or someone got the rights now?

I imagine nine would take up state of union as that would fit well with cross promote and crossover with state of orgin. Club and school rugby could be idea to put on Stan to stop Foxtel competing with altenative product. Be interesting to see what goes where and if all offerings taken up. You would think if Foxtel did not get test and super rugby they would bid for Shute shield and school rugby package of nine / Stan don’t take up. Latter imo would be crazy to not take up for price tag as otherwise leave Foxtel in play as a competitor.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I imagine nine would take up state of union as that would fit well with cross promote and crossover with state of orgin. Club and school rugby could be idea to put on Stan to stop Foxtel competing with altenative product. Be interesting to see what goes where and if all offerings taken up. You would think if Foxtel did not get test and super rugby they would bid for Shute shield and school rugby package of nine / Stan don’t take up. Latter imo would be crazy to not take up for price tag as otherwise leave Foxtel in play as a competitor.

I think Stan will have club rugby. Obviously CH9 has run the sums and wants all rugby fans to subscribe to Stan and I think they will take the lot to ensure subscribers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Australian and Jessica Halloran back to its old propaganda games, trying to talk down rugby and channel 9... it’s almost flattering if it weren’t so pathetic.

It’s clear Nine, under Hugh Marks’s leadership, is no longer the sports powerhouse it used to be, with poorly regarded commentary (Gus Gould’s call of the NRL grand final a case in point) and the slick, gripping, emotive game-day production all but gone. And the network has unloaded cricket, the national sport.

It’s showing in Nine’s ratings. Dedicated sports fans have tuned out or gone elsewhere.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/eb35f4496aa67f85c328c86897adb792

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
She isn't wrong about Gould, though Fox hardly have anything to boast about when it comes to commentary.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
News Corp are going to be somewhat conflicted if RA do take up the 9/Stan offer - they had an article in the Daily Tele a few days adoring the new leadership there, after previous leadership made the horrible decision to knock back Fox's first offer. What if that fabulous new leadership knocks back Fox's last offer?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
News Corp are going to be somewhat conflicted if RA do take up the 9/Stan offer - they had an article in the Daily Tele a few days adoring the new leadership there, after previous leadership made the horrible decision to knock back Fox's first offer. What if that fabulous new leadership knocks back Fox's last offer?

We’ve rarely seen any intent of consistency from Fox. Why would they start now?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It will need a very good website to work out where the f*ck a match is being shown

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Foxtel had some good consumer growth through 2020:

“Despite the revenue decline, Foxtel saw its total paying subscribers increase by 7 per cent to 3.29 million as of September 30. Subscribers for Kayo and Binge climbed 67 per cent. Kayo has 681,000 subscribers (644,000 paying) while Binge has 321,000 users (290,000 paying). Both Kayo and Binge have managed to grow their user base since June. The amount of revenue per user increased by 1 per cent to just $US56 ($77).”

Although revenue was still down:

“The Rupert Murdoch-controlled media company reported a revenue fall of US$18 million to $US496 million for Foxtel in the first quarter despite an overall climb in the number of subscribers across its product, which includes Kayo Sports and entertainment streaming service Binge.”

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bu...print-ads-foxtel-revenue-20201106-p56c1n.html

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Foxtel had some good consumer growth through 2020:

“Despite the revenue decline, Foxtel saw its total paying subscribers increase by 7 per cent to 3.29 million as of September 30. Subscribers for Kayo and Binge climbed 67 per cent. Kayo has 681,000 subscribers (644,000 paying) while Binge has 321,000 users (290,000 paying). Both Kayo and Binge have managed to grow their user base since June. The amount of revenue per user increased by 1 per cent to just $US56 ($77).”

Although revenue was still down:

“The Rupert Murdoch-controlled media company reported a revenue fall of US$18 million to $US496 million for Foxtel in the first quarter despite an overall climb in the number of subscribers across its product, which includes Kayo Sports and entertainment streaming service Binge.”

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bu...print-ads-foxtel-revenue-20201106-p56c1n.html

I would love to see a breakdown of where the new subscribers live.

I would guess without any evidence that the more you were stuck at home due to COVID-19, the more TV that you watch and therefore the more chance that you would subscribe to a TV service.