• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’ve written this a couple of times before and I know not everyone agrees, but I reckon Sean Maloney would be a good get. Particularly with this recent Nine/Stan news - I’d be having him on each weeks free to air telecast. Maybe not as the lead (for that, perhaps the excellent Andrew Swain? I know he’s at Fox but he’d be brilliant to get over) but as the colour commentary. I think he brings a great fun element which casual fans would enjoy.
Fully agree.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’ve written this a couple of times before and I know not everyone agrees, but I reckon Sean Maloney would be a good get. Particularly with this recent Nine/Stan news - I’d be having him on each weeks free to air telecast. Maybe not as the lead (for that, perhaps the excellent Andrew Swain? I know he’s at Fox but he’d be brilliant to get over) but as the colour commentary. I think he brings a great fun element which casual fans would enjoy.

The really good thing about Sean is that he was just a club footballer, so he doesn't think that he knows everything about the game. He just describes what is happening, without pontificating all the bloody time, like quite a few former "stars".

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The really good thing about Sean is that he was just a club footballer, so he doesn't think that he knows everything about the game. He just describes what is happening, without pontificating all the bloody time, like quite a few former "stars".

I'm not sure if Sean can really understand the game if he hasn't played at the highest level. I know I don't have a clue.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sully, are you Matt Burke?

You don't have to have played at the highest level to be a good commentator. Yes it help you tell some good stories but doesn't mean you have amazing insight.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What the bloody hell is there to understand? It is not philosophy, it is sport. There are no rights and wrongs, there is just playing the game and winning, or losing.

Commentators should tell us only what we cannot see with our own eyes. Identify the players, explain the refereeing decisions in clear and brief terms (no opinions, thanks), and occasionally give us a bit of colour about a player's background, if they are new to the team. That's it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One thing I really disagree with is that you have to be a great footballer to understand the game. None of McQueen, Dwyer or Alan Jones were great players, but all seemed to have pretty fair grasp of the game.

Macqueen and Dwyer played a fair bit of first grade. I think Macqueen might have played for NSW? Jones never played the game to my knowledge. He was a pretty handy tennis player, though.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
League and AFL & Cricket all have high profile and strong personalities in their commentary teams.

I understand that has been built though years of commentary.

BUT IMO, if rugby want to cut through to the masses they need to put some similar high profile and strong personalities up.

Matt Burke would be a good, reasonably well known through his work at CH 10.

Nick Cummins could play a role somewhere in the broadcast similar to Matty Johns. Maybe sideline. And definitely involved in a Rugby show,

A code hopper like Wendel Sailor would be worth consideration to attract some leaugies

Obviously we require a female in the team. Bit harder here to find someone with the profile. Louise Ransome and Shannon Parry both called SS for 7 two

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Murray Shaw has been appointed head of rugby at channel 9.

Shaw was head of football at FoxSports for a decade and a half, so definitely got the credentials. Though after a superficial search, it doesn't seem he has much interest in Union. Someone more savvy with media can tell me if HoR needs to have any passion for the game or is it purely administrative.

I would've thought a good feel for the game and knowledge of the key commentators/personalities/players would be essential.

Edit: an article does say he's worked on previous RWCs and is a fan of the 'Tahs.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
A code hopper like Wendel Sailor would be worth consideration to attract some leaugies

Obviously we require a female in the team. Bit harder here to find someone with the profile. Louise Ransome and Shannon Parry both called SS for 7 two

Steal Ruan Simms from League and you kill two birds with one stone, she's semi vying with Allana Ferguson to be the next female former player, commentator/personality anyway

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Steal Ruan Simms from League and you kill two birds with one stone, she's semi vying with Allana Ferguson to be the next female former player, commentator/personality anyway

she's actually a former Wallaroo so it makes sense.

Was Allana Ferguson the sideline eye on the NRLW? She's played Aussie 7s and I thought she was better than Simms. I think she's a very good talent and worth looking at for sure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Shaw was head of football at FoxSports for a decade and a half, so definitely got the credentials. Though after a superficial search, it doesn't seem he has much interest in Union. Someone more savvy with media can tell me if HoR needs to have any passion for the game or is it purely administrative.

I would've thought a good feel for the game and knowledge of the key commentators/personalities/players would be essential.

Edit: an article does say he's worked on previous RWCs and is a fan of the 'Tahs.

He can’t have much passion for the game then.........

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He can’t have much passion for the game then...

Ha. Ha ha.

Brumbies home game during Covid:

cb72e42219dfee78a39e916bc22b85d533e067e4

Brumbies home game pre-Covid:

cb72e42219dfee78a39e916bc22b85d533e067e4

;)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Quickly jumped on Twitter and he is following Sean Maloney, Christy Doran, Georgina Robinson, Lou Ransome, Nick McArdle, Aussie Rugby Show and Ben Kimber. So that is a good start.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Quickly jumped on Twitter and he is following Sean Maloney, Christy Doran, Georgina Robinson, Lou Ransome, Nick McArdle, Aussie Rugby Show and Ben Kimber. So that is a good start.

Think that might've been post announcement but yeah good start.

I think Kimber and Turinui have been earmarked for a weekly show under the new setup? Maybe that is my short memory firing on a twitter rumour.

Kimber yeah, I don't think Turinui is involved, well he wasn't as of 2 weeks ago on their pod.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Kimber is working for Stan so it makes sense. All the people he follows on twitter would be good to have some involvement in the shows.

I like the suggestion of the Badger too. He could do some fun stuff that would be mostly entertaining.

I love the set up of the Aussie Rugby Show where they go to different clubs each week. Would be a good idea to move forward with.