• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There is a fantastic analysis here about what the Stan Sport strategy might be, how its going to compete, the possible costs that can be expected and the value in sports like rugby for a platform like this. To summarise it, Stan Sport will fill the void for a low cost alternative to sports broadcasting with high volume of content.

https://mumbrella.com.au/whats-the-strategy-of-stan-sport-658095

Screen-Shot-2020-11-15-at-1.31.40-pm.png

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This is another interesting article about consumer spending on SVOD and he market penetration of the various platforms,

Stan, meanwhile - which is owned by Nine, the publishers of this masthead, andwill broadcast Super Rugby and Wallabies matches from next yearonwards through an add-on sports subscription - already has a strong foothold in rugby circles, with 41 per cent of union fans already viewing it as an indispensable platform.
"That was one of the interesting things when we saw this data falling out - rugby union fans are already ahead of other sports fans and the market generally in picking up Stan and having it as part of their monthly bundle," Roberts said.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-optus-and-stan-are-well-placed-in-australia-s-sports-streaming-wars-20201204-p56knb.html

EA405744-BFF8-4E00-B434-0706E0BE480F.jpeg

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Took my kids to the Brumbies home games since they were 2. All 3 are still members. One at 24, and the other two are 19. One semi late night per fortnight didn’t hurt them and meant we got a sleep in the next day.

That's awesome, my son's first home game was when he was 2 weeks old. Most games he spends the night at Nana's and mum and dad have a night out. To hard to get home from work on a Friday and collect him than back into the city. Any Saturday games he will go.

His first test was the Fiji game down here.

I have no doubt when his older he will be more interested in going, but for now it's not worth the Friday traffic nightmares.
FFS please don't let this thread turn into a debate on parenting!!!
Why not? Everyone knows what's happening with the broadcast now. Unless you know of another way to access rugby everyone will be signing up to Stan. I'll stick with my overseas subscription to continue to watch Pro 14 rugby.

Reactions: mst

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im happy with Stan for the moment, not as good as Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I have trashed that trash bag called Kayo now.. so Im sweet..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Im happy with Stan for the moment, not as good as Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I have trashed that trash bag called Kayo now.. so Im sweet..

What Stan lacks at the moment is a reasonable amount of original TV content............

They acquired the Showcase contract a while back, but personally, aside from Twin Peaks a lot of those shows don’t have a lot of re-watch value.

And Billions jumped the shark a couple of seasons ago...........

I’m hanging out for the next season of Better Call Saul before I renew again.

However, Stan has the best movie catalogue of all the streaming services...........

And for the cinephile they have a decent range of quality international / independent cinema, and from time to time upload the catalogues of great directors, which have included the likes of Godard, Fassbinder, Seijun Suzuki, Herzog, and Melville.

Prime have a decent selection too, but their catalogue is huuuuuuge but it’s mostly D-grade films are obscure TV documentaries that not even the History channel would touch regarding conspiracies, aliens, Trump etc.

What Prime do possess is a surprisingly good amount of music documentaries.......... although whoever is encoding them should be fired because a few of them are in the wrong aspect ratio.

Foxtel is massively overpriced, and all they have is sport and HBO, for which you’d just get Kayo and Binge and save your money........... all of their movie content is on the other streaming services.

Although in typical Foxtel fashion Binge is buggy, and you can’t always be guaranteed to get an HD quality picture when others are delivering 4K........... have also had to reinstall the app twice in as many weeks.

Netflix is heading towards being all original Netflix content........... and with that the quality of their stuff slides.

And Disney is useless until they start getting their productions going, or you’re keen on binging the Simpsons.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thing about these catalogue rights is that they’re all short term contracts and up for renegotiation soon, additionally every media conglomerate in the world has intent to expand their own SVOD service.

Disney will see massive growth in the next 12-18 months, two of their subsidiary catalogues are current held by Stan and Foxtel, when when they expire they will no doubt take these back. This includes all ABC Studio and 20th Century Studios content. Which will give Disney a massive premium catalogue.

HBO are also planning on a international service, which will see Foxtel/Binge lose all access to their HBO content as well as their Warner media content. It’s a massive loss.

Channel 10 in partnership with NBC are reportedly launching a NBC service as well.

Realistically, as the major media players make entry into the Australian market, the likes of Foxtel and Stan will lose access to the movie and TV show content. That’s why Stan is moving into sports IMO, they’re looking for a point of difference and exclusive content. Live sport offers that.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Disney will see massive growth in the next 12-18 months, two of their subsidiary catalogues are current held by Stan and Foxtel, when when they expire they will no doubt take these back. This includes all ABC Studio and 20th Century Studios content. Which will give Disney a massive premium catalogue.

Don't forget that Disney own ESPN so that cold also potentially get them more viewers.

There were rumours pre-covid that WWE was consider shopping its network around and that Disney were interested in purchasing the channel.

I think Disney will be the dominant player in no time at all

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say if this report is correct, I would think it will be very good for rugby in Aus , and 9 and Stan should become everyone's favourite station.
Maloney doing commentary and McArdle hosting from studio sounds with all the rest sounds bloody good to me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
“While Alana Ferguson and Sonny Bill Williams are yet to be locked in by Nine, the Herald has learnt some familiar faces have signed on the dotted line.

Popular caller Sean Maloney has been locked in as the network's new voice of rugby and Nick McArdle will be the main host of the broadcast on Nine and Stan Sport.

Wallabies great Tim Horan has been secured as a panellist, while Andrew Swain will be a secondary caller and a senior producer. Former Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell is also on board.

The format of Nine and Stan's shows away from the broadcast of Friday and Saturday night Super Rugby matches - as well as Wallabies Tests - is less clear.

Stan Sport is believed to be pushing for an exclusive midweek show.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...r-star-rugby-talent-20210104-p56rnr.html?btis

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
“While Alana Ferguson and Sonny Bill Williams are yet to be locked in by Nine, the Herald has learnt some familiar faces have signed on the dotted line.

Popular caller Sean Maloney has been locked in as the network's new voice of rugby and Nick McArdle will be the main host of the broadcast on Nine and Stan Sport.

Wallabies great Tim Horan has been secured as a panellist, while Andrew Swain will be a secondary caller and a senior producer. Former Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell is also on board.

The format of Nine and Stan's shows away from the broadcast of Friday and Saturday night Super Rugby matches - as well as Wallabies Tests - is less clear.

Stan Sport is believed to be pushing for an exclusive midweek show.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...r-star-rugby-talent-20210104-p56rnr.html?btis

That's a massive relief, I was petrified that it was going to be James Bracey hosting with Fitzy giving expert comments, all those 2 do is trash the game every chance they get.

They will be desperate to a female involved somehow so my bet is Lou Ransome will be in high demand as someone who actually knows the sport

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah diversity amongst the panel is critical, I think Isa Guha is a great addition to the BBL commentary team to talk to the female professional cricketer view point.

Given a large chunk of the rugby playing pool are Pasifika it would be gold to see someone represent this demographic as well, just so it’s not a bunch of old white men trying struggling to pronounce names with more then two syllables.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m sorry but at the age of 4 who cares whether they’re watching the footy or not, at that age they can’t even string a sentence together properly

Um, our Miss 4 know players names and recognises them on TV and at the game. She is still not happy that Joe Powell, her favourite player, has left the Brumbies.

Like Merrow above, we have had our at games since they were a few moths old and they look forward to going to game.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Um, our Miss 4 know players names and recognises them on TV and at the game. She is still not happy that Joe Powell, her favourite player, has left the Brumbies.

Like Merrow above, we have had our at games since they were a few moths old and they look forward to going to game.

I'm not happy he shaved that terrible tash, with a scarf & peaky blinders hat he would have easily fitted in with the locals

Scooter

John Solomon (38)

Mst, your Miss 4 is more than welcome to follow Joe to the Rebels.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
“Netflix remains the clear market leader in Australia and grew its viewership by 2.26 million (+19.0%) from a year ago to 14.17 million viewers. Over two-thirds of all Australians aged 14+ (67.2%) now watch Netflix in an average four weeks.

“Foxtel’s growth in viewers has been even more impressive, up by 2.36 million to a viewership of 7.75 million across its four services of Foxtel, Foxtel Now, Kayo Sports and new streaming service Binge. All four have increased their viewership strongly during 2020 as locked down Australians sought out new content to pass the time.

“There are other clear winners as well including Stan which is now closing in quickly on 5 million viewers and has increased its viewership by 1.56 million (+46.4%) from a year ago to 4.93 million.

“Stan, a fully owned subsidiary of the Nine Entertainment Company, has recently expanded its content offering with the launch of ‘Stan Sport’ and has already signed the rights to live broadcast Australia’s Rugby Union matches as well as the Grand Slam tennis tournaments at Wimbledon and Roland Garros.

“Amazon Prime Video experienced a significant boost to growth in 2020 and nearly tripled its viewership from a year ago to 3.29 million (up 2.16 million, +190.3%) while Disney+ has attracted nearly as many viewers less than a year after launching with a viewership of 2.87 million.

“The strong growth for the leading services in the market shows Australians are increasingly viewing multiple services to find new and interesting content. For example over 5.6 million Australians watch both Netflix and Foxtel services in an average four weeks and nearly 4.7 million watch both Netflix and Stan.

“After a bumper year in 2020 the outlook for 2021 presents a new challenge as Government stimulus programs are progressively reduced and the ability to travel domestically (and in time internationally) without restriction is regained as border barriers come down and COVID-19 vaccines are rolled out.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8606-subscription-pay-tv-services-september-2020-202101120113
9F4E7D17-1873-49CA-A3D8-F914023649B4.png

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
What’s going on with Stan/9? I don’t watch much FTA TV so don’t know if they have been advertising it but Stan sports is still to launch. I get there is no content but they haven’t given a launch date or a price