• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think Alana Ferguson will be confirmed soon as a key panelist/commentator, she’s made some references to rugby recently on her socials when previously it was very heavily League focussed. She had also been mentioned on his thread several times.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well after ditching foxtel i have had netflix, occaisional kayo when super rugby on, and fletch (which for $20 a month is really just for the mighty set top box).

Was going to ditch netflix for stan but my 12 year old daughter gave such a dummy spit about her shows being lost decided actually for the cost can still take stan for $24. As still compared to foxtel days getting so much flexibility and content for comparable costs what Foxtel use to cost ie.

Fletch - $20
Netflix - $15.99
Stan - $24
Total - $60 per month (I think my last foxtel bill was $70 per month before canned it at onset of COVID 19).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fletch? Do you mean Fetch? I've got a Fetch but never looked into the paid side of things - any good?

As for streaming services: if there is an annual option it is well worth it. Amazon Prime costs $60 a year and has a lot of great stuff. Disney the same for about $80.

Netflix and Stan don't appear to offer annual subscription :(

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ve never understood Fetch, or where the value in it lies when you can get things like Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV or Google Chromecast devices. Does it provide other products you use?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yes, $24 for Stan Sport isn't perfect if you're comparing it against $25 for Kayo, but Stan will have a much higher Spouse Appreciation Factor, and that's a key selling point.

Kayo only has one sport I want to watch these days, Formula 1. It's lost Rugby Union, Soccer (EPL) and cycling. While I don't mind having the NFL or NBA on the TV, I can't be stuffed having Kayo for them alone.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’ve never understood Fetch, or where the value in it lies when you can get things like Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV or Google Chromecast devices. Does it provide other products you use?

I love it and it comes with a bunch of stuff you can add on and recording stuff the missus likes it also has apps for netflix, stan, amazon and youtube, and there looking at adding disney plus.

I do love the fact I get ESPN for NBA, UFC, College ball. and if I'm Inclined I can buy the ppv for ufc.

much cheaper then foxtel.. keeps my subscriptions in one box, and I have a fetch mini for my parents off my account so they get normal channels / netflixs and amazon for free.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty sure I paid $25/month for Kayo. Which was solely for rugby. Did not hear a lot of complaint about that cost. In fact it was half the cost of Foxtel which I very much wanted just for the rugby.

That's your choice though.

Kayo obviously includes a large amount more sport than just rugby.

The $10 a month product has the rights to rugby (minus the tests available on BeIN Sports but adding Shute Shield) and Wimbledon and French Open Tennis.

Hopefully they add more sports over time and if that then provides a more compelling package on its own they offer it as a standalone like Kayo was (even if at a higher price). I.e. if currently HD Stan + Sport is $29 a month and down the track that might be $34 a month with more sport they offer Stan Sport for $20 a month on its own.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Kayo only has one sport I want to watch these days, Formula 1. It's lost Rugby Union, Soccer (EPL) and cycling. While I don't mind having the NFL or NBA on the TV, I can't be stuffed having Kayo for them alone.

Too much sport, in effect ;) I had Kayo and thought it was a decent offering at about $15-20 rather than $25 IF you liked the other sports. I had practically zero interest in the other sports (cricket ODis maybe), so ditched it.

Stan makes a decent case in that they have other stuff and I've quite liked a few TV series' they've had in the past. Not so much their list of movies.

Monthly breakdown for me will be:

$15.99 Netflix
$ 4.91 Amazon (paid annually)
$ 7.50 Disney+ (paid annually)
$22.99 YouTube Premium (includes YouTube music)
$ 9.92 Apple Music (paid annually, and a fucking ripoff IMHO when I'm already getting YouTube Music, but wife prefers it for her crApple devices)

Add $24 Stan (assuming they'll broadcast HD but NOT 4k which would be $29) and it is just over $85.

Sounds like a lot, but I get the actual sport I want, all the TV shows and music I can consume, and the whole family is covered on basically every device.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fletch? Do you mean Fetch? I've got a Fetch but never looked into the paid side of things - any good?

As for streaming services: if there is an annual option it is well worth it. Amazon Prime costs $60 a year and has a lot of great stuff. Disney the same for about $80.

Netflix and Stan don't appear to offer annual subscription :(

Yes Fetch through Optus with broadband account. really just paying for the STB - it gives movie box with free movies every month (watch some of those) and free channels (like national geographic etc) that don't watch. Has other channel packages can pay $6 a month for but not looked into given netflix and sport options via optus not of interest. Gees the cost for Amazon Prime good for annual services.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that’s a great result.
I already own Stan, so for me it’s only $10 extra, but even at $20, it’s a good price

I would certainly watch school boy GPS rugby if it came on - as old shore boy and don't go to any matches or really follow - but if was accessible would spark my interest.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
okay so if you want to be really spiteful & stick it to stan/nine here's a way to save a small amount & not be an extra number on stan's books

espn+ $8.32 a month usd if you sign up for 6 months
express vpn $5.99 a month usd

$14.31 usd a month currently equals $18.48 aud a month.

for anyone who doesnt want to pay for a terrible "entertainment" streaming service

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
okay so if you want to be really spiteful & stick it to stan/nine here's a way to save a small amount & not be an extra number on stan's books

espn+ $8.32 a month usd if you sign up for 6 months
express vpn $5.99 a month usd

$14.31 usd a month currently equals $18.48 aud a month.

for anyone who doesnt want to pay for a terrible "entertainment" streaming service

Or just don't fucking get it at all, you pelican.