• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The Australian now pushing their rugby podcast and seems like more articles in the paper as well.

Channel 9 now regularly have pieces on the Reds during their sports news, which wasn’t t the case last season .

Things certainly seem to be improving as far as getting the rugby product out there.

Yeah seen the Rebels getting some coverage in the age and on 9 news. As well as hearing their scores on the radio. When you consider the local coverage in Melbourne use to be half an hour a week on SEN it’s a massive step

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Australian now pushing their rugby podcast and seems like more articles in the paper as well.

Channel 9 now regularly have pieces on the Reds during their sports news, which wasn’t t the case last season .

Things certainly seem to be improving as far as getting the rugby product out there.

Nice to have some good unintended consequences, for a change!!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say fellas, I recorded Rugby Heaven last night, just watched it. A good show I think. A man can't have too many informative rugby shows on TV!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
ABC has been covering the rugby in a way I don't recall previously as well.

Similar here on 4BC radio.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say fellas, I recorded Rugby Heaven last night, just watched it. A good show I think. A man can't have too many informative rugby shows on TV!

Too much crap. Singing good and bad, old stories of no relevance, amusement as hosts take "hilarious" pot shots at each other, laughing at a school boy tackle that seemed to leave the tackled party landing on his head and out cold. And 5 minutes of interesting stuff.

I'll be back next week, but if it stays this way I'll fade out at some point.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hugh Marks is the new CEO of Nine, he was the head of Stan and pivotal in bringing Rugby Union over to Channel 9. So a positive step forward for rugby having the new CEO personally invested in making it work.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Too much crap. Singing good and bad, old stories of no relevance, amusement as hosts take "hilarious" pot shots at each other, laughing at a school boy tackle that seemed to leave the tackled party landing on his head and out cold. And 5 minutes of interesting stuff.

Harsh, I reckon. These shows always take a while to find their feet, but I don't mind a bit of banter, etc, if the rugby content is good. And it was really good, thorough analysis, good updates on the Tahs crises, etc.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it's good content for Stan. I think there is an opportunity for a 360 style show where there is more analysis of the games and whats happening around the game, an investigation into what's happening at the Tah's would be interesting. Chekia would be good for this and some of the jouro's they have access to.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Totally agree, There was a weekly show on fox ages ago that was great for a few weeks then resorted to trying to be funny and lost me.

I want a show where analysis is the main format, not entertainment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
ABC has been covering the rugby in a way I don't recall previously as well.

Similar here on 4BC radio.

Pretty sure that they would be relying on input from Nein. The AFL and NRL prepare their own press reports for all the media, I believe.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Pretty sure that they would be relying on input from Nein. The AFL and NRL prepare their own press reports for all the media, I believe.

Or is he meaning that it's actually being covered in more depth as opposed to not at all?

I know it's been scarce in prior years here in NSW. Maybe with Lou Ransome working at ABC there might be some more interest too?

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The challenge will be to keep rugby up the front end of sports sections and towards the back of the paper as NRL and AFL kick off properly.

Not wanting to be a downer but there isn't much else happening the last two weeks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep dru, I don't like the bullshit stuff, same as breakdown last week,when done in clubrooms,but Breakdown was excellent this week. And I thought to give Rugby Heaven credit there was some bloody good analysis of the games, and that what I want. On Breakdown I think it goes a lot better without Kirwan, and probably Joe Wheeler, had an excellent panel, would enjoy seeing James Parson added to it.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The challenge will be to keep rugby up the front end of sports sections and towards the back of the paper as NRL and AFL kick off properly.

Not wanting to be a downer but there isn't much else happening the last two weeks.
And how much pressure Peter V’landys (the horse racing guy) might put on Channel 9 orientated media for rugby not to compete with league.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Top 14 in France have sold their tv rights for an eye watering $180 million AUD each year. Probably not great news for losing talent overseas.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Can remember before I had Fox living in Melbourne having to follow the Rebels games via grandstand digital

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How bloody good
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.32.55 am.png

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Channel 9 are definitely throwing some promotional muscle behind rugby. The cross promotion during the Australian Open tennis was the most I’ve seen rugby advertised in years . Quite incredible when you consider it’s in prime time space during their telecasts.

Free to air gives you the wider audience that Foxtel could never deliver.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The cross-promotion from Nine is surprisingly good. It's the essential part of making the FTA exposure actually work - there's no point just having a game on FTA if no-one knows it's there. I didn't think Nine would put this kind of effort behind rugby, but they clearly want it - both FTA and Stan - to work.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've already suggested to Kimber and Maloney they get along for a few training sessions at local clubs across the land as a Grassroots segment - drop off some Stan-branded rugby balls etc etc.