• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

Mate, the issue is 'supply and demand' as it stands is clearly not enough, it's why the game is going/is broke domestically. And since when has corporate money been shooed away in Australia? The Magner's Shute Shield would never be tarnished by sponsorship, nor the Qantas Wallabies. Japan has a national league, which seems to be a distinct one up on Australia (it also has a ultra competitive college competition) and the ability to pay a couple of dozen of the world's best players as much money as they could make anywhere in the world hints at a degree of professional sport sophistication.

I never said Australia turns away corporate support, I said corporate support is driven by consumer demand in the form of marketing rather then Government legislation.

Japan has dozens of the worlds best players??? Exactly who are you referring to?

SANZAR is host to players making up the 3 highest ranked Test teams, if player quality is your measure of sophistication then Australia and New Zealand are well ahead.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
I never said Australia turns away corporate support, I said corporate support is driven by consumer demand in the form of marketing rather then Government legislation.

Japan has dozens of the worlds best players??? Exactly who are you referring to?

SANZAR is host to players making up the 3 highest ranked Test teams, if player quality is your measure of sophistication then Australia and New Zealand are well ahead.

Don't like Japan do you buddy? It's getting tiresome so I'll shut up after this. Corporate support is driven by commercial imperatives in Australia and Japan. Different systems as the Japanese corporations have a more conspicuous tax incentive, but clearly there is a benefit in focusing their corporate dollars in rugby as opposed to some other activity which is the same fundamental marketing/sponsorship decision being made by Australian rugby's corporate sponsors. Japan won the right to hold the world cup in large part because of the financial strength of the game which has been played there for more than 100 years. High profile imported players can make up to a million bucks a year there (several around 500K). At any one time there's certainly a bunch of world class players running around like Berrick Barnes, Fourie du Preez, George Smith. I don't have team lists in front of me but in recent years Sonny Bill Williams Hugh McMeniman, Tony Brown, Jerome Kaino, Shane Williams, Ma'a Nonu and Jerry Collins have had a crack. Obviously overall playing strength is lower, but my point is the platform is there to present a 'product' that has the potential to be viable participant in a provincial international rugby competition such as Super Rugby and potentially would offer a positive option in broadcast negotiations. Meanwhile it's great to see their local talent improving. Guys like Shota Horie are first class players and I think most everyone (barring you perhaps) hope they continue to gain elite exposure and experience.

T

TOCC

Settle down Harv, I do like Japan and am very excited with the countries rugby potential.. Key word there is potential.. But If you're going to talk about the subject you need to really understand the dynamic of corporate support of sporting teams in Japan, it's an area which has come under a lot of flak from shareholders in recent decades.. There are reports indicating that up to 300 corporate sporting teams have been disbanded since 1999. Many clubs are reverting back to the Japanese style management employee welfare program of company employees representing teams rather then professional athletes.

Now once again this isn't an attack on Japan, it's just pointing out the precarious nature of the competition, The Top League will continue and some teams may come and go, it will no doubt continue to recruit some former test players , but it's the equivalent of the Japanese football tournament in 1992, it's in need of reform it's needs to reinvent itself to the J-League model to really promote professionalism.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Settle down Harv, I do like Japan and am very excited with the countries rugby potential.. Key word there is potential.. But If you're going to talk about the subject you need to really understand the dynamic of corporate support of sporting teams in Japan, it's an area which has come under a lot of flak from shareholders in recent decades.. There are reports indicating that up to 300 corporate sporting teams have been disbanded since 1999. Many clubs are reverting back to the Japanese style management employee welfare program of company employees representing teams rather then professional athletes.

Now once again this isn't an attack on Japan, it's just pointing out the precarious nature of the competition, The Top League will continue and some teams may come and go, it will no doubt continue to recruit some former test players , but it's the equivalent of the Japanese football tournament in 1992, it's in need of reform it's needs to reinvent itself to the J-League model to really promote professionalism.

Well, it appears a number of the J-League clubs are transitioning from purely Soccer clubs to Sports Clubs and are showing an interest in Rugby. So hopefully they can push it into a proper professional structure in the future.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, it appears a number of the J-League clubs are transitioning from purely Soccer clubs to Sports Clubs and are showing an interest in Rugby. So hopefully they can push it into a proper professional structure in the future.

That sounds promising. Have any J-League clubs started rugby teams yet?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I hope the ARU is switched on and works with Facebook

Ad experts tip [that Facebook] will double its Australian revenue next financial year as it seeks to beef up advertising on its newsfeeds and partner with major sporting codes

"It's a very important channel and therefore we expect its advertising revenue to grow by 50 per cent plus in the next 12 months," Ben Willee of Spinach Advertising said.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/facebo...t-it-wants-to-keep-hidden-20140613-3a26b.html

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hong Kong RFU has over $35million AUD in cash reserves, which is a reflection of the organisations ability to not only host successful sporting events but attract corporate support.

Whilst I think Hong Kong could work, i don't necessarily support a side from Hong Kong.

I lived and worked in HKG for more than ten years. You need to think about how many spectators the national side attracts. Two thousands maybe a few more. Club rugby is in the hundreds.

The Sevens draws, as does the very occasional Test match, provided there are a lot of exciting players on display , and of course given that these tiny handful of events draw non-fans, and visitors.

Soup will not. End of story.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
More and more indicators suggesting TEN will bid for Super Rugby rights.

WHEN the Ten Network walked away from broadcasting top-tier sports in 2011, Morgan Stanley thought it a good idea.

“We were wrong,” the brokerage’s analysts now say. They view Ten as a turnaround story with plenty of work to do, particularly grabbing higher ratings in its prime-time general entertainment schedule. Two big sports rights packages are coming up for grabs, AFL after 2016 and Super Rugby after 2015.

Both, the analysts say, make sense for Ten at the right price and could be a much-needed catalyst. “If there is no improvement in ratings, Ten shares will go nowhere, or more likely lower.” Morgan Stanley has Ten at overweight with a 50c a share target.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-sporting-chance/story-fnjw8txa-1226953818743

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Meanwhile, The Australian continues to bleat that Fox Sports will only pay $25 mill, and if TEN gets a game a week, that will be halved. Or something equally negative along those lines.

I remember when newspapers published news, now The Oz publishes Newcorpse progaganda.

T

Train Without a Station

They wouldn't be relinquishing though TOCC, they'd simply be allowing another broadcaster to broadcast it to viewers who don't have foxtel in addition to the foxtel viewers.

I get the logic, good for the code, good for support, may encourage more viewers and foxtel subscribers for the future. People aren't going to terminate their subscriptions due to one event being simulcast on FTA but wonder if it's just a bridge to far to get an agreement on it in a short space of time

T

TOCC

TWAS, exclusive broadcast rights charge a premium for a reason..Foxtel would never risk people tuning into FTA instead of their broadcast..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why would Foxtel relinquish the rights to what could potentially be their highest rating program of the year if the Reds 2011 GF is anything to go by.

Of course they won't, because they lack the imagination to work out that it would actually be better for them in the long run. But, on the other hand, how many existing Foxtel subscribers would choose to watch the TEN coverage instead? Commercials and all?

Speaking personally, actually I would choose TEN, just to get away from Clarkey's endless regurgitation of meaningless records and statistics, but I imagine that I am in a very small minority who would switch away from Foxtel.

If they had the brains, and the will, Foxtel and TEN could work out a deal, surely. Share advertising revenues in some proportion, who knows what might be possible if they have an ounce of brainpower between them.

A home final featuring the Tahs would reap a windfall for Foxtel, unbudgeted and ripe for partial re-investment in the health of the game here.

T

Train Without a Station

Likely it would be the foxtel commentary too anyway

T

TOCC

All i will say is; Game of Thrones.....

Ego's play a big part in the TV industry, channels will do things purely to spite each other and protect their own content. Look at the current issues between the Bathurst 12 Hours event and the V8 Supercars, Channel 10 holds the rights to the V8's, Channel 7 recently acquired the rights to the Bathurst 12 Hour event. So Channel 10 in response scheduled an 'official test day' on the same weekend as the Bathurst 12 Hour so the top V8 drivers wouldn't be able to race... Craig Lowndes was the 2013 winner.