• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just repeating what Brett McKay wrote a few days ago. Digital rights are sold separately apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I seem to remember some restrictions on Foxtel acquiring exclusive rights to the online streaming of sporting events being set a few years ago, along the lines of the anti siphoning laws. I can't find a reference to them though so I'm not sure of the details.

This is an area where Pulver should have a lot of expertise, he has a techy sort of background, IIRC. Let us hope it works for us. We need to leverage off every little bit of media exposure we can get.

T

TOCC

Pulver was fairly cryptic, he has said there is likely to be some form of interest from Ten, but said there are other FTA networks that are interested as well.

Not sounding overly positive of Super Rugby on FTA.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm pretty doubtful any FTA network is too interested tbh. Seven and Nine have AFL and League, SBS spent their coin on the A League and Champions League and if 10 is interested then it'll be a bidding war against themselves for a game of the round package (if fox let them take that game).

Pulver whinging about lack of Private Equity is ridiculous. The private sector is barely going to be interested in investing in a Super Rugby team when the ARU are going to reserve the right to pull out their best players, force a salary cap on them and demand central contracting which restricts a franchises opportunities to grow ahead of their competitors.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ha! Yeah they're in a sports vacuum with the FIFA world cup over ;)

Only a two year contract then.

Sports vacuum? You may be surprised how the bikes with a pretty back drop can attract a significant audience late night for 3weeks! Especially when you add rain and cobblestone! No doping will help you with that challenge!

T

TOCC

Turns out Foxtel do own the exclusive rights to the internet content of the NRC, which makes sense since this ties in with their Foxtel Go and Foxtel Play products.

However Brett McKay from the Roar is reporting that all matches streamed online will be done so for free, no details yet, but likely to be either done through the FoxSports website or a dedicated NRC channel..

As for the Foxtel broadcast, McKay has also reported that Foxtel will monitor the ratings and have the option to increase the number of games broadcast as the season progresses.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sports vacuum? You may be surprised how the bikes with a pretty back drop can attract a significant audience late night for 3weeks! Especially when you add rain and cobblestone! No doping will help you with that challenge!

I wasn't being serious :) They'll have A-League back in a few weeks anyway.

Haven't been watching Le Tour this year. Need to get my sleep lately and I know if I flick it one, I'm goneski!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
However Brett McKay from the Roar is reporting that all matches streamed online will be done so for free, no details yet, but likely to be either done through the FoxSports website or a dedicated NRC channel..

Well they won't set up a dedicated NRC channel for four games per week.

I assume the streams will only be the broadcast game? Would make more sense from an infrastructure point of view. And FS get to use it as a testing ground for popularity of - dare I say it - an IPTV style of packaging where I could buy sports streaming for $X a week?

Years ago there was an online pass offered (via SuperSport perhaps?) of streamed rugby games. Was something like $140 for the soup season including the Tests. Was bloody good IMHO

T

TOCC

Well they won't set up a dedicated NRC channel for four games per week.

I assume the streams will only be the broadcast game? Would make more sense from an infrastructure point of view.

My mistake I meant a IPTV channel on a NRC website, not a dedicated channel on Foxtel..

As for the streams, it doesn't have to be limited to only those games which are broadcast on Foxtel, infrastructure requirements for IPTV aren't necessarily the same as those broadcast on HDTV. Years ago Foxtel broadcast a Australia Barbarians vs England rugby match exclusively on FoxSports with barely 2 or 3 cameras.

The way it reads is though all games will be broadcast over the internet on top of the 1 game broadcast on Foxtel paytv.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I watched the Aust barbars v Canada online and it was great.

Central Coast 7's stream all their games with a commentator who did a good job. Would be a good opportunity for new talent.

Griffith Uni Radio do some of the QPR games. Rugby Reg has even lent his dulcet tones to the call.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
For those who aren't aware FoxSports will be showing all the Wallaroos games at the WRWC:

FOX SPORTS BROADCAST DETAILS:

Fri, Aug 1: Australia v South Africa, LIVE @ 11.45pm FOX SPORTS 2HD & 2

Sat, Aug 2: England v Samoa, LIVE @ 2.00am FOX SPORTS 2HD & 2

Sat, Aug 2: France v Wales, LIVE @ 4.45am FOX SPORTS 2HD & 2

Tue, Aug 5: Australia v Wales, LIVE @ 11.00pm FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Wed, Aug 6: New Zealand v Ireland, LIVE @ 2.00am on FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Wed, Aug 6: France v South Africa, LIVE @ 4.45am FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Wed, Aug 6: England v Spain, delayed @ 2.30pm FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Sat, Aug 9: England v Canada, LIVE @ 11.45pm FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Sun, Aug 10: New Zealand v USA, LIVE @ 2.00am FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Sun, Aug 10: Australia v France, LIVE @ 4.45am FOX SPORTS 1HD & 1

Wed, Aug 13: 5th v 8th, LIVE @ 11.45pm FOX SPORTS 2HD & 2

Mon, Aug 18: 3 v 4th Playoff, delayed @ 11.30am FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

SEMI-FINALS - Thu, Aug 14: LIVE from 2.00am FOX SPORTS 2HD & 2

FINAL - Mon, Aug 18: LIVE @ 2.45am FOX SPORTS 2HD & 2

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't know how practical this is or whether someone has already brought this up but.......as far as the NRC goes, if Foxtel is only going to broadcast one game/week why don't they just allow a group like BarTV to do the other games on youtube (I know about the ARU TV but I'm referring to LIVE games)?

BarTV does the local Rugby games here in Newcastle along with the Loig, local AFL, Soccer & I notice they do other regions too such as Illawarra, NSW Subbies Rugby, etc. They include "game of the round", highlights from previous grades, plus interviews, & have commentary - actually looks more professional than the broadcasting of the NRC from ARU TV on youtube.

Don't know if they are just in NSW but I'm sure if they started broadcasting the NSW games then at some point they could expand into other states. I like that they have a deal set up to provide pubs/clubs with their live feed of games, there are a number of places in Newcastle for instance that will have the local Rugby premier 1 "game of the round" broadcast live - not something that could be done in previous years. Makes the game more accessible than it previously was.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUqki3gPoRcj1RFUKuGthQ/videos
http://bartv.com.au/about

Like I said I don't know all the legalities & whether this would be a good solution. However, given the broadcasting world is going towards streaming on the net I'd say youtube (or something similar to it) may be the solution in the future for Rugby. If FTA becomes a dead end. I welcome the competition from online streaming as the options we currently have for broadcasting Rugby aren't giving us too many options. I'm happy we have Foxtel. Don't get me wrong. However, I'd like our game to reach a lot more people than it currently does. FTA would open it up to more people in Australia, internet broadcast could open it up world wide.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good post Angry Seahorse. I think that's exactly what the ARU need to do for the NRC. It shouldn't be up to individual clubs to stream home games if they want to, all on different online channels or platforms.

If the national ice hockey league in Australia can live stream matches with commentary then the ARU can do so for the NRC. It should be centralised and all on the one youtube channel.

I find it really surprising and disappointing this hasn't been sorted out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any idea what would be a "good enough" rating?

How close to "good enough" were the figures from last Thursday?