• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any idea what would be a "good enough" rating?

How close to "good enough" were the figures from last Thursday?

All we know is that last Thursday didn't rate above 38k (it wasn't in the top 20 rating programs for the day and 20th was 38k) - I'd guess good enough would be more than that.

Hard to rate when people don't know it's on though. I think most people that watched on Thursday would have enjoyed it. The challenge is to get more people to give it a shot.

T

TOCC

Any idea what would be a "good enough" rating?

How close to "good enough" were the figures from last Thursday?

If you are to look at other games broadcasts like the Toyota Cup then I'd say 50'000 would be the figure which may justify televising more games.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many watch the Toyota Cup on TV?
I know when they play on a standalone basis,they only draw family and friends through the gate.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They should get 100k easily if they properly advertise it. So many didn't even know it was on or what the hell the NRC was even. These are people that regularly watch Super Rugby too.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They should get 100k easily if they properly advertise it. So many didn't even know it was on or what the hell the NRC was even. These are people that regularly watch Super Rugby too.

I agree and I'm most interested to see how it rates in a few weeks when the NRL and AFL seasons are over and it's had time to benefit from some word of mouth.

If the Thursday night matches continue to be full of fast and attacking rugby I think it could grow into something.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
This comes from what someone posted on the NSW Country Eagles facebook page:

Club Rugby TV has had numerous meetings with the ARU and Fox to live stream un-televised NRC games, free to punters. After three years of live streaming Shute Shield games, we have the expertise and passion. Top commentary and camera work, dedicated professionals. Why don't you guys talk to the ARU and give us a hand?
You know it makes sense...

And later this when someone asked that if the QRU can stream matches on youtube why can't others:

I don't know. Money? Lack of a dedicated channel like Redstv? All I'm saying is that, if we want to grow the game we have to make it accessible. There has been a serious lack of marketing around the NRC already. I get it, there's no money to do that, but here you have an outfit (Club Rugby TV) that has the expertise and experience to live stream these games, we've been knocking on the ARU's door since the NRC became a reality, and we still can't get the go-ahead. The cost would be minimal - around $5K per match - and we'd be making a lot of rugby tragics happy because there's a fair bit of interest around the nation to watch this comp.
If we had you blokes going in to bat for us, it might make the difference and we could get the games out to a much wider audience. Which is exactly what the game needs in Australia.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If teams aren't willing to spend a few thousand on an away kit, I can't see them forking out $20k to get all their home games live streamed by Club Rugby TV

I don't think the clubs should have to fork out the cash for it. The ARU should do it and keep it all on one channel - whether it's through Club Rugby TV or someone else. They should even be able to make a little bit of money back through selling advertising space.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To be honest, while live streaming is great, even replays are enough. I wouldn't often get the value out of live stream because of my connection, and the fact I've got family shit on that I can't always avoid.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think the clubs should have to fork out the cash for it. The ARU should do it and keep it all on one channel - whether it's through Club Rugby TV or someone else. They should even be able to make a little bit of money back through selling advertising space.

I guess it comes back to cost.

Currently we have a system where the other games are being published online a couple of days later from the single camera filming at the ground.

Let's say the alternative is to spend around $150-200k more to broadcast all the other games live online with commentary. That's not peanuts. At $5k a pop, how many people are likely to stream each game live?

If it was more than 200 people I'd be surprised. That's a pretty high cost per head.

They're trying to run this competition on a shoestring budget. So much so that 8 out of 9 teams haven't purchased away jerseys. If the ARU is projecting to lose $1m on the NRC this year then adding $150-200k to that is a significant cost blowout.

It would be a good initiative, but at the end of the day it's not a cheap one relative to the benefit it would return.

T

Train Without a Station

Most importantly streaming won't bring any new fans. It will cater to existing fans that will lap up any rugby they can get their hands on. When League and AFL are mass marketed and broadcast on FTA, I can't see anybody saying nah, bugger this, let's grab the laptop and see what this semi-pro rugby caper is about.

T

Train Without a Station

They've done lead in promo on Rugby HQ for weeks. If they don't even watch the wrap up show what do they watch?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if the $5 covers the Perth and Adelaide and country games? All to the same level of delivery (commentators etc). That's a big ask for the guys - more than just one game a week in Sydney.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Most importantly streaming won't bring any new fans.

Exactly - can't justify the investment compared to Pay TV.

What we CAN do is support it as "old" fans and make a case for its sustainability and growth. I'm planning to watch as many of the replays on YouTube as I can so the ARU get the traffic stats.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that there are rugby supporters out there who do not know what the NRC is, or that it is on Fox.

Really? I have no problem with the concept that rugby "fans" don't know about it, because there are a truckload of rugby "fans" who are dead against the entire concept.

That Sheek idiot over at The Roar is just snipe-snipe-snipe, never makes a cogent argument, and has been against the format of it in the first place.

What I'd like to see is pricks like him brought down and silenced, then torn apart by the crowd. The only way that's going to happen is if we take this shoestring concept and fucking ride it like a drunken baboon.

T

Train Without a Station

That's what I was thinking Pfitzy. Surely a bucketload of youtube views would be a good argument for broadcasting more games.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
While live streaming is a very nice idea I think it's something that will come in time as the competition grows. As mentioned keeping costs down is essential. When you're looking at where every cent goes $5k per game adds up pretty quickly.

It's maybe something for the future but it's good that rugby TV are pushing it. Maybe they'll get funded by a local benefactor to do the odd one on a trial basis at some point.

What I think would be really good for such a new competition would be if someone re-cut footage from the highlights packages into a number of bite sized videos that could be more easily shared via social media.

This could include a select team of the round, top tries, top plays etc. with the editing kept tight to reduce any dead air and aim to keep the videos around the 1 minute mark.

In addition I think a short video on each of the teams showing a game day from various fans views along the lines of the USA soccer "I believe that we will win" would also be great to see. Doesn't have to be an exact copy just show a cross section of some of the fans interspersed with some game footage. Again keep the length down to encourage sharing.

I like the highlight videos that Brumbie Jack posted and something of similar length that gave a flavour of each round would be excellent. New people are going to want to dip their toe in first before taking the plunge and watching full games.

I think for now fan made promotion might be the smartest way to get the word out about the NRC. It's cheap and someone with passion and the time to dedicate to it can really have an impact.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Brett McKay speculated that ABC might put their shute shield team to use again to televise NRC after the NRL season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
photo (2).PNG
photo (2).PNG