• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foxtel was 120k. AFL was 400k making a total of 1.4 mil. With a Perth vs Adelaide team playing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe it's because most of the matches the Wallabies have played of late haven't been great spectacles.

I'd suggest its because AUSTRALIA.

Finals of two other codes on, and a game against Argentina is largely meaningless in the face of whether one of your other teams will live to see next week.

Unfortunately, Pulver can do all he likes to promote the game - with money he doesn't have to spend - but the Wallabies' performances at big events like RWC will ultimately decide our place in the public eye. The fact that its in Europe is not going to help one jot.

We can sit here spitballing about why, but in the meantime let's all get out and fucking support the game, hmm?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd suggest its because AUSTRALIA.

Finals of two other codes on, and a game against Argentina is largely meaningless in the face of whether one of your other teams will live to see next week.

Unfortunately, Pulver can do all he likes to promote the game - with money he doesn't have to spend - but the Wallabies' performances at big events like RWC will ultimately decide our place in the public eye. The fact that its in Europe is not going to help one jot.

We can sit here spitballing about why, but in the meantime let's all get out and fucking support the game, hmm?

Well I agree with you. But I think the focus on the Wallabies above all else costs rugby in Australia.

Look at rugby in France. It's absolutely booming despite the fact their national side has been disappointing for years.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well then we should blame our billionaire team owners :rolleyes:

French rugby isn't booming because of billionaire team owners. It's booming because it basically has an equivalent of the NRL. A well marketed competition that supplies 7 big games every weekend between teams with tribal followings. For 26 weeks. And the point of it isn't to develop test players for France.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Get rid of Argentina, invest more Wallabies into the NRC

Before you start throwing around money and ideas we may want to ask the question are the ratings generated by the opposition team at Wallabies games? So the Wallabies rate well when they play quality teams like the Kiwi's and Bok's. Conversely against teams that dont command the same audience numbers or support here in Oz like the Puma's and French the rating crash. Common denominator? We know we have supporters and an viable audience as evidenced from the Super Rugby finals numbers (ratings and attendance) and the recent games against the Kiwi and Bok's.
So what is the real issue? Is the reality that the Wallabies just don't engage or interest people as a standalone product? Is it time for a rethink of the landscape and a shift in thinking? Time to stop obsessing about the national team? That being said why do the Kiwi's, Bok's, and Pommy National teams rate so high even when they are playing minnows?

T

TOCC

Before you start throwing around money and ideas we may want to ask the question are the ratings generated by the opposition team at Wallabies games? So the Wallabies rate well when they play quality teams like the Kiwi's and Bok's. Conversely against teams that dont command the same audience numbers or support here in Oz like the Puma's and French the rating crash. Common denominator? We know we have supporters and an viable audience as evidenced from the Super Rugby finals numbers (ratings and attendance) and the recent games against the Kiwi and Bok's.
So what is the real issue? Is the reality that the Wallabies just don't engage or interest people as a standalone product? Is it time for a rethink of the landscape and a shift in thinking? Time to stop obsessing about the national team? That being said why do the Kiwi's, Bok's, and Pommy National teams rate so high even when they are playing minnows?

What is there to ask? Australian rugby is too reliant on the performance of the Wallabies.. A team which for the better part of the last decade failed to defeat its arch-nemesis in a series and on far too many occasions played a style of rugby which has failed to ignite the imaginations or appetite's of the fans.

My 'cutting of Argentina' suggestion was tongue in cheek, i don't expect or think it would be good idea for the overall development of the game to cut Argentina from the mix, however i would be interested to see how the ARC were to perform if the Rugby Championship were reduced in length and more high profile players(i.e Wallaby players) were free to play in the ARC..

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What is there to ask? Australian rugby is too reliant on the performance of the Wallabies.. A team which for the better part of the last decade failed to defeat its arch-nemesis in a series and on far too many occasions played a style of rugby which has failed to ignite the imaginations or appetite's of the fans.

My 'cutting of Argentina' suggestion was tongue in cheek, I don't expect or think it would be good idea for the overall development of the game to cut Argentina from the mix, however I would be interested to see how the ARC were to perform if the Rugby Championship were reduced in length and more high profile players(i.e Wallaby players) were free to play in the ARC..

I am with you to a degree but the concerns I would have is that the Wallabies are "supposed" to unify all supporters behind the one team.Without them...well we are seeing the result through the ratings and clearly the general public is not united behind them or the game. I will always be a sceptic like most when its style over substance (I fear its what the public perception is and why they are staying away). You are also right with your assessment - its also always hard to support the perennial failure which the Wallabies are. I will say in regards to the style issue, winners don't need that much style! It automatically comes from having to be the best and continuing to find ways to win and keep winning.

The other is the risk I fear is creating more super rugby local derby's. The attractive part about the NRC is the exclusion of the Wallabies (elite) players and bring it back to people with local club players heavily in the mix (well should be!). So as long as we found a balance for the player mix in a domestic comp I am all for it.

What about ditching the June test window, getting the Super Rugby season over and using the extra few weeks from the test window for the domestic comp? We could always add a invited national team to the Championship each year?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
French rugby isn't booming because of billionaire team owners. It's booming because it basically has an equivalent of the NRL. A well marketed competition that supplies 7 big games every weekend between teams with tribal followings. For 26 weeks. And the point of it isn't to develop test players for France.

Yeah good point.

Right everyone: get in. We're heading back to 1995 and Omar's going to put down the plan that changes all the shit we've seen for the last two decades.

Somebody bring beer. I'll drive.

220px-TARDIS1.jpg

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah good point.

Right everyone: get in. We're heading back to 1995 and Omar's going to put down the plan that changes all the shit we've seen for the last two decades.

Somebody bring beer. I'll drive.

220px-TARDIS1.jpg

As long its not the Tah's 3 year plan from 1995 - otherwise you can skip the drive as you are here! (there?) ;).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Snap!

Puts us roughly equal with A-League I guess. Though they will be heading back to the table soon?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Season 15/16 is the end of the A-League Contract. Given they also want to expand, that need a few more smackaroonies in that deal.