• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

Train Without a Station

Maybe at 29 my eyes are just fucked, but I really couldn't give a fuck about HD. I've never watched a game on my 6 year old 50 inch plasma and though "Fuck, I wish I had more definition in that frame". But that's just me.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
What do people think it says about the business credibility of the new expanded Super Rugby model when Foxtel and Channel 10 are effectively offering less money now than they did for the last rights deal?

Because according to Monday's AFR, no broadcaster showed any interest in FTA Super Rugby coverage and Foxtel and C10 would only offer a renewal of their current deal at the same price - so a little less when you take inflation into account.

All the new money is seemingly from Britain, and a direct result of a bidding war between Murdoch and BT Sports - something that may well have happened anyway if the Super Rugby Model had remained the same.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
The new packages start in November with 'Essentials' reduced down to $25. So Essentials + Sport + HD should come in around $60.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a pretty simplistic assertion. I know that this will come as a surprise to a Bunglies supporter, but some of us actually care about the health of the game as a whole.

I am a Foxtel subscriber. I want the game to be on FTA. I always choose to watch the TEN telecast because I am sure that behind the scenes the viewership is counted in parallel with the official ratings.

Get your head out of your horse's bum.

I think, if you think that by watching Ch 10 for the tests will encourage FTA to cover Super Rugby when they have shown absolutely no inclination ever to do so, then you'd have to wonder just whose head is stuck in whose arse.

And my post was aimed at those posters who complain about not getting their Super rugby or NRC on FTA but are not willing to shell out for the one service that will provide what they want. Support the competition and just maybe an FTA provider might be enticed at some future time to put in a bid.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What do people think it says about the business credibility of the new expanded Super Rugby model when Foxtel and Channel 10 are effectively offering less money now than they did for the last rights deal?

I reckon you can safely say the new model wasn't developed by SANZAR primarily for ARU to earn more money from Australian broadcasters.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
But I don't WANT essentials, because then the wife kids will be annoying the fuck out of me, wanting to watch whatever shit entertains them.

I just want sport.

Welcome to the wonderful world that is Foxtel.

T

Train Without a Station

Think about it this way Pfitzy, come November the Sports Package will cost $50. in that $50 they throw in a heap of free shit they can't actually sell and you don't care about anyway.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
you could just lock the other channels

Ned: Now, boys, Mr. Simpson is the guest. He gets to decide what to watch.
Homer: Yeah...[Homer flips through channels which all seem to be blank] Hey, what gives? I thought you had a satellite dish.
Ned: Sure doodily-do. Over 230 channels locked out!

T

TOCC

An article in The Australian today in reference to the ARU's broadcast deal which is expected to be announced next couple of weeks...

In a nutshell:
-Broadcast value expected to be between $30 and $40million/annum
-ARU in deep negotiations with Ch 10 to broadcast 1 live game per round on Friday night
-ARU is pushing to have NRC included in Foxtel broadcast agreement, which would guarantee it future for at least 5 years

The NRC averaged 23,000 viewers for its live games on Thursday nights with a season-high of 40,000 for the opening game between Brisbane City and Sydney Stars in Brisbane.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...in-arus-new-deal/story-e6frg7o6-1227118781996

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez 23,000 though. Even taking into account Foxtel's shitty penetration rate into Australian homes, that is low.

You'd think there are a lot of husbands with Foxtel who would send their wife out on Thursday night to go shopping while he minds the kids i.e. watches rugby.

At least, that's what I'd do.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
23k is even less than the shute shield ratings isn't it, and shute shield is telecast while a large portion of rugby watchers are on the field. From little things big things grow and all that, but heres hoping it better next year.

On the C10 reports, fantatistic if its true. I would suggets not going head to head with NRL on friday night though. Why not start with Sat night on FTA when they have all of the east coast audience to themselves?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
23k is even less than the shute shield ratings isn't it, and shute shield is telecast while a large portion of rugby watchers are on the field. From little things big things grow and all that, but heres hoping it better next year.

On the C10 reports, fantatistic if its true. I would suggets not going head to head with NRL on friday night though. Why not start with Sat night on FTA when they have all of the east coast audience to themselves?
I think SS gets about 40,000 but it's on a Saturday afternoon and on FTA. And it's been around for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Glimmer Twins penned two songs that could describe the ARU's quest for a sustainable media package which could enable a meaningful FTA component to the masses , the songs are "You can't always get what you want" and "I can't get no satisfaction" . The ARU need to take a step back and contemplate just what vision they are offering the networks , advertisers , its member unions and the public ...and calibrate the order of those groups in the ARU's eyes at this point in time ,then, where the ARU would like the order to sit in 5 years time? In essence what are the main drivers of the Sport/Business now and into the future?
I would suggest a media/corporate advisory swat team to be set up to attempt to maximise a "decent bang for the ARU buck " . I would suggest tapping into a guy like Harold Mitchell who understands the media landscape arguably better than anyone (and a former Melb Rebel Chairman), Someone with sport broadcast production experience , An advertising guru ...say a Geoff Cousins type or new media young gun etc...
Why ? The has been a massive disconnect between the ARU as a business and the business community (who have been seen rightly or wrongly painted as a significant part of the codes support base over the years) .
What to do about it ? ... Maybe consider the drivers of the business are The Public (including the rugby family at grass roots) & The Advertisers ,whilst, considering the networks as the vessel . Consider the ARU targeting a list of preferred potential sponsors by industry say in the consumer discretionary space then onboard them with a view to going the networks with the advertisers in hand rather than going cap in hand . I think I'll stop there otherwise I'll have to invoice the ARU...but I suspect you all have your invoice to send to the ARU !

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
word is fox sports on-selling the FTA rights to Channel 10 is a near certainty..

could be a big moment for australian super rugby teams if that occurs..

Maybe Fox are finally realising that the more people that get to see a little bit of super rugby, the more people that might then get fox to see the rest of it.

I doubt many people that currently have Foxtel primarily for the rugby (and other sports) would get rid of it just because they could now watch 1 match per week on FTA.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
word is fox sports on-selling the FTA rights to Channel 10 is a near certainty..

could be a big moment for australian super rugby teams if that occurs..
The big thing will be when TEN show the game. Sounds as if it will be on delay on Friday night.
I remember I was excited when Nine we planning on showing the Super Rugby highlights in an hour show. They buried it at 1am on a Tuesday night. Hopefully TEN show the game at a decent time.