• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

Yes this has happened before for the same reasons been mentioned today, it was out of the test window and the rights are sold separately..

T

TOCC

Broadcast contract is still 30 - 60 days away from been finalised according to Pulver..

As Reg mentioned elsewhere, ARU stands to profit from falling $AUD as the SANZAR contract is negotiated in $US..
So $10million in broadcast revenue last year will be worth $12million this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

And contracts for players in Europe will be worth more in $A

Not necessarily, the $AUD has held ground and actually improved against the Euro and Pound... The recent changes in the $AUD/$UDS exchange rate is in a large part due to a resurgence in the strength of the USD.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Canal Plus have retained the broadcasting rights for France's Top 14 for 74million euros a year (2015-19).

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...ecord-price-to-retain-rights-for-top14-rugby/

Doesn't seem like an awful lot - $A105M p.a., compared with around $A200M each for league and AFL in a very small Australian market. Admittedly, the article said it doesn't include finals, and European Cup/Heineken Cup revenues would be additional, and travel costs are more reasonable, but still for a country of 64M in an area 2/3 the size of NSW it doesn't seem as earth shatteringly rich as I would have imagined considering the calibre of players they are recruiting.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
The AFL and NRL contracts 200M per season includes fox.

That appears to just be one provider. If it is similar to Australia where they have a fta contract and cable contract it might work out all similar once everything is included.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
European Cup and six nations are worth another $50m or so per year, but not all of that goes to the Top 14 clubs

Edit and just to add Ligue 1 (soccer) gets around $1billion per season to give you the relative popularity of the two sports

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Andrew Webster is claiming in today's "Hurled" that the next round of NRL rights will be worth $2 billion.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's not too ridiculous of a top level target for them, depending on how long the deal is for.

T

TOCC

If it's a 10 year deal then its definitely achievable and would probably be worth as much as $3billion, but all major Australian sporting broadcast deals are currently done in 5 year blocks... And in that, $2billion would be a 100% increase on their current deal... An unrealistic target..

The AFL who has historically been worth more to broadcasters has set a figure of $1.5billion as an achievable target, an increase of $200million..

T

TOCC

I wonder if the delay In the SANZAR deal has anything to do with Foxtel's proposed takeover of channel 10..
The broadcast deal was allegedly about to be released in November last year before the Foxtel takeover came into play

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The pricing is intentionally too high so that they don't disrupt themselves. If they offered it at a more reasonable price they'd lose a significant number of "all included" subscribers.

I think it's the future though. They should disrupt themselves or in the long run they'll die trying to protect their current business model.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
It is the future. The NFL and (particularly) the NBA offer two superb packages - live games, highlights packages, condensed games, full length games on demand - for something around $100. NBA League Pass particularly is excellent value.