• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It could be looked at like that. Or as the top level of domestic rugby.

But what it's consistently referred to as is the 3rd tier. Why would anyone pay to see something promoted as third level? You're not even giving yourself a chance calling it that.

The thing is the same theory is true of the 2nd level. Thankfully the ARU and rugby media don't consistently refer to Super Rugby as 2nd tier.

It's the only sporting competition anywhere that I know, in any sport which refers to itself as a tier. It's the sort of expression backroom bureaucrats might use, but I know of no-one in the real world who would use the term for anything.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apart from on here I rarely heard the expression 'third tier'. It was usually 'the NRC' or the 'Buildcorp National Rugby Championship'.
I agree. Generally the only people calling it the third tier are the rusted on fans who are probably the most die hard followers of the NRC.

If it was only 5 teams each based around the Super Rugby teams would it be referred to as reserve grade? Is that any better?

It clearly is a level below Super Rugby, why pretend it isn't?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ was routinely referred to as "3rd Tier" in pretty much every Fairfax & Fox article I saw. There's a difference IMO between rusted-on fans calling it that while still knowing how important it is to the future of the game in this country vs casual/ potential fans equating "3rd Tier" with "3rd Rate" & not bothering to check it out on that basis alone.

No-one calls ITM Cup "3rd Tier" or Heartland Championship "4th Tier" even though they technically are & I suspect the same is true for the Currie & Vodacom Cups in SA. Rugby is up against it as it is media-wise in this country, accepting the "3rd Tier" tag is madness IMO.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree. Generally the only people calling it the third tier are the rusted on fans who are probably the most die hard followers of the NRC.

If it was only 5 teams each based around the Super Rugby teams would it be referred to as reserve grade? Is that any better?

It clearly is a level below Super Rugby, why pretend it isn't?

And it was clearly referred to as third tier in the Daily Tele article about the new broadcast deal. It is an abomination of a description and needs to be tossed into the waste basket asap.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think you guys who say you haven't noticed it much have just not taken it in. It's a bit like a clock ticking when you're trying to sleep or relax - you might not notice it for a while but then when you do you hear it all the time.

It's used a lot. Just google "third tier" and ARU or Bill Pulver if you don't believe me. You'll find dozens of articles using the terminology. It was even used by the commentators in games and on Rugby HQ etc. It's a really terrible brand name and something that undermines the competition. I don't think there's much chance of growing the NRC into something with significant fan support when it's branded as a third tier development competition.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Or those guys that see it all the time are looking for it?
Of course if you Google it you'll find it.

Third tier is not a brand name, NRC is. I did a quick survey this morning and asked a few mates of mine (non rugby fans or casual rugby fans) if they'd heard of the NRC. They all said Yep, it's the new rugby comp. I asked them if they had heard of the third tier rugby comp in Australia and they hadn't.

You're dead right that the term should stop being used but I'm just saying that outside these sorts of discussions, it's not used that often at all.

T

TOCC

This 'third tier' discussion has already been discussed extensively in NRC forums, and you have two sides, those that don't see it as a major issue but agree it shouldn't be used and those who think it is a major issue and think it shouldn't be used...

Ultimately everyone agrees it's a term which shouldn't be used so let's not continue a discussion in which everyone agrees on the same outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Discovery Channel/ Foxtel are reported as having reduced their joint bid for Ten Network. This seems to have been an off-again/ on-again process for quite some time now, wish they'd get it over with. BTW is there any regulatory body that has to sign off on any deal?

T

TOCC

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, fairly standard for a takeover bid like this, unlikely to be rejected.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Those rumours of a commercial station picking up the Shute Shield are looking pretty unlikely at this stage, a week out. Anyone heard otherwise?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Last Friday's Payto&Panda from the telegraph mentioned that channel ten were the most likely.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
"
THE New South Wales Rugby Union remain confident the Shute Shield will have a home on free-to-air TV when the season kicks off later this month.

After the competition was dumped by the ABC late last year, NSWRU official Bruce Worboys has been in talks with “networks” about picking up the rights and though tight-lipped on detail yesterday, Worboys said he was hopeful a deal can be done soon.

The mail is Sydney’s club comp will end up on one of the digital channels — probably on Channel Ten — and that the NSWRU will have to pay for at least part of the production, as they did with the ABC."

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/r...t-forwards-coach/story-fnii0ksb-1227250199923

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Hi guys,

I read somewhere that SANZAR has a paid streaming service available in countries not covered by their TV deals. It can be accessed through a vpn from OZ.

I have foxtel atm and have looked everywhere but can't find the official SANZAR service. Heaps of those dodgy streams though. Anyone come across this?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Apparently Shute Shield has been picked up by 7Sport - playing the match of the round each week. Not sure about what time it will be played, etc.

You'd think that a digital channel is unlikely to get the kind of numbers that ABC used to get (particularly in regional areas), but still better than nothing.