• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Subject to 2017's final Test FTA viewership and crowd numbers once BC III is finished in October - and the early trend for both out of the Fiji match is very poor - I'd suggest the risk is that no other FTA station will be interested to replace TEN.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
In such events I'd imagine the ABC would pick up the slack if Ten couldn't.

I can't see any LNP government being seen as actively contributing to the demise of the sport of the silver tail.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Talk on ABC breakfast about Netball, suggestion that it might betaken off GEM and aired on main Channel 9.

The Netball people claiming it is hidden away on GEM

I just wish Rugby was hidden there in all its forms,

And on 10, its looking like it will go into administration. Foxtel @14% equity look like a likely buyer out of the mess, (So long as media laws are changed which should happen this year). That could be a very good outcome for Rugby.

Apparently Foxtel have lost 100,000 subscribers.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
One person's "hidden on Gem" is another's "disappointing ratings"

They've been getting around 80-110k on the multi-channel.

Big test for the grand final this weekend live at 7pm on Saturday night on the main channel. Should be getting >350k.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And on 10, its looking like it will go into administration. Foxtel @14% equity look like a likely buyer out of the mess, (So long as media laws are changed which should happen this year). That could be a very good outcome for Rugby.

Sky News look likely to take over Ten's news.......... and the incestuous circle between all the commercial news networks will be complete.

T

TOCC

meh, the media ownership laws are outdated and a reflection of an era before the internet made it possible for people to get their information elsewhere.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
CBS has bought Ten, not the Murdochs/Fox as was anticipated by most.

Probably not great news for Rugby as they won't be looking for the cross-promotion opportunities

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Probably not great news for Rugby as they won't be looking for the cross-promotion opportunities

Is there any good news anywhere regarding FTA and rugby coverage? Both 7 and 9 are in the press lately saying that sports coverage will be reduced because of high costs and significantly lower advertising revenue.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)

CBS covers college rugby in the states, for what it's worth (probably nothing).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is there any good news anywhere regarding FTA and rugby coverage? Both 7 and 9 are in the press lately saying that sports coverage will be reduced because of high costs and significantly lower advertising revenue.
Test matches, a SS game in Sydney and the odd replay of Super rugby is pretty much all we've ever had, and pretty much all we can ever expect I reckon

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Yes, there is. Despite what many may believe technology is making it easier than ever to develop new broadcast avenues and with ever decreasing overheads. There's also the movement from platforms such as twitter toward sports broadcasting as a means to find a greater position within the social media space.

The current TV landscape is changing and there will likely be significant upheaval in this space in the nearish future but with that comes just as much opportunity. It just requires people savvy enough to actively seek those opportunities to be in the position to do so.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The challenge here is that streaming services are a good way to bypass traditional content providers but they aren't a method for engaging casual fans.

Whilst twitter paid to put NFL games on the service, it was never something that was going to make them money. I can't imagine something similar happening for rugby in the future.

Ultimately change is coming across all sports as FTA and pay TV go through a slow structural decline. What emerges out of that and what it does to the finances of sports is going to be interesting (or maybe just bad).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Test matches, a SS game in Sydney and the odd replay of Super rugby is pretty much all we've ever had, and pretty much all we can ever expect I reckon

Dare I say it, but all sports need to get back to encouraging supporters to attend games. The TV dollar is on the wane and made for payTV products like super rugby (and to a lesser extent TRC) aren't what we should be hitching our wagon to. Fan engagement is the way and neither of the SANZAAR products are going to give us that. Interest can only be built on a week to week basis when your product (i.e. the games) are in the public view consistently and continuously.

Even as a lifelong supporter of Sydney club rugby, I'm astounded at the increase in crowds and interest in it. But, it's giving people what they want - a week to week competition that they can follow, games they can go to every second week at home, a structure and finals series which make sense and some good old-fashioned tribalism.

Even if we look at the Australia v England series of 2016 - I can't remember a tour by an NH team being so closely followed (other than BIL of course). A simple best of 3 series with interest maintained from week to week. It ain't rocket science.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
QH - I wonder if the (proposed) Allianz Stadium redevelopment might be the best thing for the Tahs. Well it probably won't be great financially, but it will allow them to get around the State and re-engage with fans they've lost - think Brookvale Oval, W Sydney, Country NSW.

Because I agree with your analysis 100%. The Tahs can't fix Super Rugby's structure, but they can take the game back to its roots - a few beers on the hill with friends at a place down the road.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Dare I say it, but all sports need to get back to encouraging supporters to attend games. The TV dollar is on the wane and made for payTV products like super rugby (and to a lesser extent TRC) aren't what we should be hitching our wagon to. Fan engagement is the way and neither of the SANZAAR products are going to give us that. Interest can only be built on a week to week basis when your product (i.e. the games) are in the public view consistently and continuously.

Even as a lifelong supporter of Sydney club rugby, I'm astounded at the increase in crowds and interest in it. But, it's giving people what they want - a week to week competition that they can follow, games they can go to every second week at home, a structure and finals series which make sense and some good old-fashioned tribalism.

Even if we look at the Australia v England series of 2016 - I can't remember a tour by an NH team being so closely followed (other than BIL of course). A simple best of 3 series with interest maintained from week to week. It ain't rocket science.

The likes of the SS has been helped along by just how dire we've been at Super Rugby level of late. But regardless it's good to see. What the clubs need to do now is develop solid strategies to further community engagement not just toward those who have some kind of link to the clubs but those who have never actually had an affiliation.

That's the next big challenge. For me, I think the SS clubs need to be looking at drawing an average crowd of 5,000 to each game. Lofty I know but I actually think it's quite doable. Same for the Brisbane/Canberra/Melbourne/Perth etc clubs. Strategies to draw more people in and build the audience.

I actually think in the ever changing and increasingly interconnected world of ours there is real interest in the market for a deeper sense of community. A more visceral experience beyond what big time sports can offer simply because of their nature.

The FFA has begun to tap that with the FFA Cup. We can too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
QH - I wonder if the (proposed) Allianz Stadium redevelopment might be the best thing for the Tahs. Well it probably won't be great financially, but it will allow them to get around the State and re-engage with fans they've lost - think Brookvale Oval, W Sydney, Country NSW.

Because I agree with your analysis 100%. The Tahs can't fix Super Rugby's structure, but they can take the game back to its roots - a few beers on the hill with friends at a place down the road.

If they were brave enough to bring a game to Campbelltown Stadium I'd be all for it. Many complain about getting to Homebush but that's not every half as much of a pain in the arse to get to as Allianz is if you live anywhere beyond the Inner West.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The challenge here is that streaming services are a good way to bypass traditional content providers but they aren't a method for engaging casual fans.

Whilst twitter paid to put NFL games on the service, it was never something that was going to make them money. I can't imagine something similar happening for rugby in the future.

Ultimately change is coming across all sports as FTA and pay TV go through a slow structural decline. What emerges out of that and what it does to the finances of sports is going to be interesting (or maybe just bad).

The value for the likes of Twitter is more about users than actual revenue created from these broadcasts. The real value there is their ability to collect and then sell data.

T

TOCC

Financially... I don't think it will cost them... Waratahs have a contract with the SCG Trust, and if it's the governments decision to redevelop the ground then you can bet they will be seeking a significant compensation figure.

Waratahs will throw a hissy, but it will all be show knowing that if they accept the first deal from the NSW Govt/SCG Trust then they will be selling themselves short.