• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As a twenty-something yo I have signed up to kayo, never had foxtel since leaving the nest. Kayo is great for Super Rugby fans. No need to bother recording games etc plus they do highlights about 24hrs after games so you can watch all the games very quickly on Sunday/Monday. Plenty of rugby content popping up like the Aus Club Champs, Super W and live European rugby on a Saturday morning to pump you up for your game that day. Just need more local rugby content eg Shute+QPR+schoolboy. I know this sounds like a massive paid post but Foxtel is for folks like my old man that can't work smartphones etc. Not a growing market and not a very consumer driven market either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The future of Foxtel absolutely lies in sport. It seems to me like they are making the transition to Kayo at the right time and should make good inroads there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
As a twenty-something yo I have signed up to kayo, never had foxtel since leaving the nest. Kayo is great for Super Rugby fans. No need to bother recording games etc plus they do highlights about 24hrs after games so you can watch all the games very quickly on Sunday/Monday. Plenty of rugby content popping up like the Aus Club Champs, Super W and live European rugby on a Saturday morning to pump you up for your game that day. Just need more local rugby content eg Shute+QPR+schoolboy. I know this sounds like a massive paid post but Foxtel is for folks like my old man that can't work smartphones etc. Not a growing market and not a very consumer driven market either.

Disagree. I have a lot of technology available to watch Web based services like Netflix, Optus TV etc but hate pissing about when I can just use a more reliable, simpler premium terrestrial service.

The commercial reality is at this point Web based services are still yet bound to terrestrial as a safeguard. EG:
NZ's biggest telco Spark is launching a sports streaming service (motorsport, euro dive-ball & rugby being the headline content) shortly, $19.99/ month but we'll be paying extra for RWC in terms of which they're talking about a deal with their FTA partner that if the stream falls over at any time it'll be on FTA within 5 minutes.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Disagree. I have a lot of technology available to watch Web based services like Netflix, Optus TV etc but hate pissing about when I can just use a more reliable, simpler premium terrestrial service.

The commercial reality is at this point Web based services are still yet bound to terrestrial as a safeguard. EG:
I wonder who's paying who and how much in that relationship?

I also wonder if there's any FTA partner in Australia that would even let eg Optus run non-aussie world cup games on their network at any price

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The word "partner" seems to be a feature in most sports streaming services unlike other types of Web based streaming services.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

For now. Google have just released their gaming platform called Stadia. Which whether you actually care about gaming or not demonstrated a great many very interesting new services linked with it that allow for seamless integration of content across multiple devices with little to no lag or down time. This is relevant for streaming because it's exactly where it's likely to be going in the near-ish future.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
A little too familiar with the old enemy known as lag!;)

Stadia is an interesting in that you can see both the good and bad in such a concept and technology but there is much yet unanswered and a lot of shortcomings. In the end it's more about the limitations of infrastructure.

The latency they have is still way off the mark for many popular games so the appeal is limited IMHO.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/google-stadia-gaming-platform-backlash/

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Stadia is an interesting in that you can see both the good and bad in such a concept and technology but there is much yet unanswered and a lot of shortcomings. In the end it's more about the limitations of infrastructure.

The latency they have is still way off the mark for many popular games so the appeal is limited IMHO.

Stadia is a fascinating in that you can see both the great and awful in such an idea and innovation however there is much yet unanswered and a ton of deficiencies. At last it's increasingly about the constraints of foundation.

The inertness they have is still missing the goal for some mainstream diversions so the intrigue is constrained IMHO.

This is interesting. I've seen it a bit, so now the bots copy previous posts and just use alternative words for the sentence. Reads like my french assignments back in school.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
ESPN or more accurately Disney are looking to enter the Australian sports streaming market via their ESPN+ property as year as November this year. They will do so with plans to target sports like Cricket and Rugby Union. ESPN already holds the rights to the US broadcast of Super Rugby and most of the Major League Rugby. Will be interesting to see what comes of this. They will also from all accounts be looking to bid for EPL rights in the future.

What will be interesting is if they enter Australia at a similar price point to that of the service in the US or that of Kayo here. ESPN+ comes for as little as $5/month in the States.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
ESPN or more accruately Disney are looking to enter the Australian sports streaming market via their ESPN+ property as year as November this year. They will do so with plans to target sports like Cricket and Rugby Union. ESPN already holds the rights to the US broadcast of Super Rugby and most of the Major League Rugby. Will be interesting to see what comes of this. They will also from all accounts be looking to bid for EPL rights in the future.

What will be interesting is if they enter Australia at a similar price point to that of the service in the US or that of Kayo here. ESPN+ comes for as little as $5/month in the States.
Think we might be in for a very short but glorious period where one provider has most of the rights to most of the sport in Australia and we'll soon be dealing with a bizarre array of apps and $$$ to watch what you want

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Think we might be in for a very short but glorious period where one provider has most of the rights to most of the sport in Australia and we'll soon be dealing with a bizarre array of apps and $$$ to watch what you want

Quite possibly. It will actually be interesting to see where things go from here particularly when it comes to sports broadcasting. This appears to be a move on behalf of Disney to establish itself as the dominant streaming platform for sports broadcasting.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
You’re probably right, however that will again correct itself with the weaker parties slowly fading out once the market completely adjusts and you will end up with only 1-2 providers with all the content.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

It's a bit of a nightmare at the moment with TV/Movies. I currently have Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime and if Disney comes out, I'll have to add a 4th. It's starting to approach that threshold where the convenience factor isn't going to outweigh the other means of watching content.

I don't think sport will face that issue, but if Disney is that keen to break into the market, it would make an easy sell for the Australian market.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's a bit of a nightmare at the moment with TV/Movies. I currently have Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime and if Disney comes out, I'll have to add a 4th. It's starting to approach that threshold where the convenience factor isn't going to outweigh the other means of watching content.

I don't think sport will face that issue, but if Disney is that keen to break into the market, it would make an easy sell for the Australian market.
If you want prem league and a-league you're already up to two with Optus sports - I reckon the fragmentation is only going to get larger. F1 and beIn content especially won't be far off splitting form Kayo

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

In the next few years there will be a tipping point where it's so fragmented that you might have a provider come along who will offer the service of bringing them all together in the one place. For a fee, of course.

And then we will have almost come full circle, because we would have just invented Foxtel again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Is that the last however many years where I've been able to watch pretty much everything on Foxtel?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Kayo has everything but EPL right? It sure his hard to get out from under Ruperts thumb.

For now. ESPN are also looking at chasing the rights to the EPL as well which will mean when they split from Foxtel to enter the market they' could have a fair bit of pull in regards to content.