• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In the 60's rugby was the main winter sport in NSW state schools, today you could count on your hands the number of state school teams, never mind schools.

Rugby league was, of course, widely played in the Catholic schools system, and also in State schools in rural areas.

Plus league had thriving weekend competitions which some of the best rugby kids played in. I played both codes after leaving school, league was far better organised and supported. That was at the beginning of the sixties.

BTW, rugby union was not in the dominant position that it enjoyed (such as it was) because of any top down initiatives. It was there because there was a good sprinkling of sports teachers who had a rugby background for one reason or another. I suspect that the various Teachers' Colleges might have been biased towards our game. Sheer dumb luck, in other words. Plus a bit of sectarian bias (Catholics played league, Prods played rugger, old chap: other than at the GPS and Associated Schools level, of course).

Our game was on FTA in those days, Saturday arvos. The league was on, and pretty sure the VFL was on in the 60s, maybe more into the 70s. So in one sense we were on an even footing. But I do not recall commercial tv jostling to televise our domestic comps.

As a spectator sport rugby league was always far more popular than ours, and of course the advent of the big poker machine palaces ensured that they could poach our best players, year after year after year. There was always a bit of chatter around the club about one of our players who was trialling (surreptitiously) for the pro game. Not many made it, of course.

The long years of amateurism, and of playing second fiddle to league, obviously had a big effect. We retreated to our places of strength, which is what armies do when they lose battles and territory. Our strength is, and was, the GPS citadel.

As a state school boy from what was a lower middle class area I do not like that very much. But that's where we are. Blaming the ARU or anybody else for the long sweep of history might be enjoyable, but it is not going to help us very much.

The huge post-war demographic changes that have given us today's nation are another topic. But it is hardly a surprise that people who migrate here from countries where soccer is the only sport are likely to play and support soccer, nor is it a surprise that some nationalities do not see professional sport as a career option for their kids. I suspect that lots of our former strong rugby areas are now filled with families who just do not care about any sport, or certainly are not interested in ours.

We need to work together, and play to our strengths. Such as they are.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Foxtel won’t exist in the next decade

Some may think the NRL, for instance, would be mad to broadcast its matches through Amazon Prime’s app.

This would be an extremely short-sighted view. Streaming apps could be big players. At $7.99 a month, an Amazon Prime subscription is nothing. By the end of next decade, I guarantee streaming services will have rights to big sports in this country because watching television through an app will be the norm.

Consumers won’t bat an eyelid. Teenagers now will be in their 20s by 2029 and their television brand loyalty will be non-existent.

Rugby finding itself being broadcast on Optus does not need to be as frightening as it seems.

Using streaming services doesn’t scare consumers – and it shouldn’t scare sports.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...stream-becomes-a-torrent-20191219-p53lkb.html

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Popular Fox Sports rugby host Nick McArdle has been sacked on the eve of the new Super Rugby season, amid further cuts to the broadcaster's rugby programming.

Executives told McArdle he was no longer required on Wednesday, the day before Fox Sports and Rugby Australia were due to launch the new season together in Sydney. Wednesday marked his 13th year at the pay TV broadcaster.

The news follows the departures mid-last year of up and coming commentator Sean Maloney, rugby executive producer Simon Gee, veteran director Matthew Heaton and football department executive producer Murray Shaw

Two sources told the Herald that executives briefed staff there would be no dedicated mid-week rugby shows and only a skeleton staff, including veteran commentator Greg Clark and former Wallabies Tim Horan, Phil Kearns, George Gregan and Rod Kafer would be retained on contract, to work across the weekend games

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ve-of-super-rugby-launch-20200123-p53tyi.html

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'll delete what I posted, it was an exact copy of what you copied and pasted, funny we both picked the same paragraph!

(Also posted in Where to for Super Rugby, forgot about this thread.....)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Popular Fox Sports rugby host Nick McArdle has been sacked on the eve of the new Super Rugby season, amid further cuts to the broadcaster's rugby programming.

Executives told McArdle he was no longer required on Wednesday, the day before Fox Sports and Rugby Australia were due to launch the new season together in Sydney. Wednesday marked his 13th year at the pay TV broadcaster.

The news follows the departures mid-last year of up and coming commentator Sean Maloney, rugby executive producer Simon Gee, veteran director Matthew Heaton and football department executive producer Murray Shaw

Two sources told the Herald that executives briefed staff there would be no dedicated mid-week rugby shows and only a skeleton staff, including veteran commentator Greg Clark and former Wallabies Tim Horan, Phil Kearns, George Gregan and Rod Kafer would be retained on contract, to work across the weekend games

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ve-of-super-rugby-launch-20200123-p53tyi.html

That's a shock. McArdle was one of the better ones. That Kearns wasn't first out the door is an absolute disgrace

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a shock. McArdle was one of the better ones. That Kearns wasn't first out the door is an absolute disgrace

For whatever reason, McCardle has never really been involved in commentary so with a big reduction in hosting opportunities it's hard to see how they could continue having a role for him. I agree with you though, it is a shame to lose McCardle and I have always liked him as a rugby presenter.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ no dedicated rugby show mid week.

We really are approaching rock bottom vis a vis traditional broadcasting

Oh well, I can always hope that Sauce and Jaybor will get some funding from the QRU to cover the Qld super rugby season. That would be pretty cool.

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think there is a lot of space for some intellegent rugby discussion. Wish we had something more akin to the 1014 Rugby Show in NZ. Those boys started in a shed, so it's not big bugets that are necessarily needed.

I will echo others in saying I enjoyed McArdles approach and will be sad to see him not achouring things at foxsport and do feel it does look a little ominious for Rugby's future at foxsports.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Drew gave it an honest crack at the RWC but sounded like a guy learning on the job. Unlucky for him not to get the same leeway to develop as the plodders still calling the game.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Perhaps Fox just realises that people aren't buying subscriptions to watch mid-week rugby shows? I do feel for McArdle, but I don't think there will be too many cancellations on the basis of losing mid-week shows and a panel discussion before and after games - it all hinges on whether they keep the games. The revenue from subscriptions must be dropping pretty drastically, they have to cut costs.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Drew gave it an honest crack at the RWC but sounded like a guy learning on the job. Unlucky for him not to get the same leeway to develop as the plodders still calling the game.

He was terrible, he gave most players a leave pass from criticism except for peeps he obviously didn't like.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wasn't a fan of Drew either, too much of a joker and his commentating wasn't very good. Only commentator i really miss is Sean Maloney.

Greg Clarke struggling to hold down the hosting of the Season Launch program on his own, sounds like this season will be better served with the volume turned down. If only Kayo had that option.

Reactions: dru

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Mitchell was rubbish. Broadcasting is an art form, and the overlap between being a competent pro player and a competent broadcaster would be fairly narrow. Tony Romo is a notable current exception.

I haven't consistently watched any of Fox's midweek shows, uh, ever, now that i think about it. The analysis was weak, the commentators are homers and the players stick to template remarks. Boring.

Mcardle clearly went cos u need commentators more than hosts.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If I was Fox I'd throw money at Morgan Turinui and Ben Kimber to put out a podcast/video. People are shifting away from watching those mid week shows, but they have enough time to listen to a podcast throughout the week. Get those two into a studio on Monday/Tuesday with the podcast out on Wednesday and people would lap it up. Bugger all overheads, sponsors can have their ads and people get some great insights.