• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brothers Vs Uni - gimp fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What is the point of a game like this when no one is playing

Brothers braced for tough battle with Sydney Uni
March 11, 2010 - 2:07pm
Story by: QRU

Sydney Uni players celebrate winning the 2009 Shute Shield Grand Final

Interstate club Rugby supremacy will be on the line on Saturday when Queensland Premier Rugby champions Brothers meet Shute Shield premiers Sydney University in the Australian Club Championship at Crosby Park in Brisbane (kickoff 3:30pm).

The Championship pits the Queensland and NSW club Rugby premiers against each other and last year was won by Brisbane’s Easts in a thrilling 38-31 come-from-behind win over the Students.

That win broke the stranglehold Sydney Uni had previously enjoyed - winning the trophy each year since the concept was revived for 2007, with wins over Wests 36-5 and Sunnybank 24-0.

The responsibility of retaining the trophy now sits with the Brethren and coach Zane Hilton said it was a challenge they relish.

“(The Australian Club Championship) is definitely something special and for some guys it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity,” Hilton said.

“That in itself adds a little bit more meaning, as well as that Sydney Uni and Brothers have both had long histories within it.”

Brothers have succeeded just three times in their seven attempts: beating Randwick 45-22 and 10-6 in 1974 and 1985 respectively, and Manly 25-14 in 1984.

As opposed to Easts, who had some tough practice games in the lead up to their clash, Brothers enter the game slightly underdone in their preparation having not yet played a trial.

But Hilton, who has named eight starters from their 26-19 Grand Final victory over Souths, said the side selected was more than capable of winning.

“(The Australian Club Championship) is different to any other game you play. It’s funny that you play it at the beginning of the season and play it with different teams from last year, but at the same time we’ve retained quite a few of those players from last year,” he said.

“Our boys have played together for a long time and they enjoy the opportunity to play together as well. They really relish it. There’s no doubt we will be a little bit rusty, but hopefully those old combinations kick in at the back end of the second half.”

While the Students will have many of their representative stars on Investec Bank Super 14 duty, Hilton said they would still be putting out an experienced team that is capable of causing plenty of headaches, especially at set-piece.

“They’re obviously missing a lot of their representative players, which they have a lot of, but it’s important to remember that the players who are coming up to play us are the guys that in a sense have gotten them to the grand-final the last five years.

“These are the guys who are the stalwarts of the club that step aside when the representative players come back at the end of the season, but at the same time, they are the one who got them there.

“There’s no doubt they will try to dominate us at set-piece. It is very much the backbone of the way they play. From our perspective, we’re looking to try to hold them in that area and then see how we can go around the field.”

Hilton has made rising star and Reds’ Wider Training Squad member Dallan Murphy captain for the game as a reward for his work both on and off the field.

“Attitudinally and the character he shows around the club off the field is very typical of a Brothers captain. And on the field his leadership is outstanding,” Hilton said.

With the Reds game against the Force scheduled for Sunday afternoon at Suncorp Stadium, Hilton has urged rugby supporters to head to Crosby Park and take advantage of their newly renovated “Crossbar” and “Can Bar”, while watching a high quality game of rugby.

Brothers:
1. Adam Bennie
2. Andrew Coady
3. Adrian Dixon
4. Marcus Slade
5. Trent Jones
6. Simon Price
7. Andrew Shaw
8. Ben McCormack
9. Sam Grasso
10. Dallan Murphy (c)
11. Paul Doneley
12. Nathanuel Gendle
13. James Harvey
14. Anthony Pyers
15. Damon Murphy

16. Tom Sayer
17. Peter Haig
18. Dave Gornal
19. Ally McLay
20. Chris Ferraro
21. Blair Hart
22. Patrick McGill

Sydney University:

1 Alasdair King
2 Thomas Coolican
3 Patrick Ryan
4 Samuel Carter
5 David McDuling
6 Hugh Hawkins
7 Joshua Ellice Flint
8 Adam Campbell
9 Mathew Schwager
10 Joshua Dillon
11 Thomas Tombleson
12 Toby L'Estrange
13 Tom Kingston
14 Robert O'Reilly
15 Justin Bosilkovski
16 Danny Farrell
17 Duncan Hardy
18 James McMahon
19 Anthony Pohlen
20 James Helliwell
21 Greg Jeloudev
22 Peter Playford
23 Scott Cameron
24 Nathan Charles

Cyril Towers (30)
Uni have 1 player from last year's GF side, Paddy Ryan at THP. Nathan Charles is on the bench. I suspect both these boys will back up the following day when Junior Tahs play Brumbies Runners. Otherwise Uni is mostly Colts players from the last few years. Very fresh side indeed. They might struggle against some old hard heads.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
How can you have an 'Australian Club Championship ' in the middle of S14 season????

How can you have an 'Australian Club Championship ' without Vikings from the ACT or winners from VRU & WARU?

Sydney Uni & Brothers not represented well playing this game during super season.

Which wanker thought up this concept?Call it what it is.......a preseason game.

Cyril Towers (30)
Last year's game had the same problems with Uni fielding a very young and inexperienced side, although nowhere near as young and inexperienced as this one. They skipped away to an early lead but were run down in the 2nd half with a familiar looking 5/8 for Easts (Brisbane) pulling the strings. Checked the program and it was one A Walker. Lost a bit of pace but none of his footy nous. It was a great exhibition played as a curtain raiser to Crusaders v Waratahs.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm going to go along and hopefully get entertained. Good concept, bad timing perhaps, but Brothers supporters have put their hard earned up to host it, so deserve some rugby public support. Stop the whingeing everyone and get along and support club rugby. Who knows, you may get a glimpse of one of the superstars of tomorrow?

Shit...I don't even like the Filth.

Cyril Towers (30)
If I was in Brisbane I'd go, but I'll be in Sydney so I'll go to the Junior Tahs v Brumbies Runners on Sunday. Players to watch in the Uni team are Ryan at THP, Sam Carter and Dave McDuling in the 2nd Row and Schwager at half. Schwager is small but has a fantastic long crisp pass and is one of a select band of players who managed to make Aus Schools from his own schools 2nd XV (the 1st choice half for Aus schools was the 1st XV halfback). And it's good to see Peter Playford having a run off the bench. I thought he might have tossed it in.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
The Tahs brumbies game could get quite a crowd if Huxley is cleared to play. I will certainly make the effort if he is.

The only place I have seen most of those names in the Uni side is on the Schoolboy topics with Lee. McDuling looked quite good in the U20's World Cup last year from what I remember.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given everyone complains about the big gap between grand finals and eoyt in Oz, this should be at the end of the season.

Cyril Towers (30)
Assuming you could get 22 sober players from each side after the Grand Final

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Zinzan said:
How can you have an 'Australian Club Championship ' in the middle of S14 season????

How can you have an 'Australian Club Championship ' without Vikings from the ACT or winners from VRU & WARU?

Sydney Uni & Brothers not represented well playing this game during super season.

I play for the club that the VRU champs come from. Trust me, we are at least a couple of weeks off being ready to play a game.

The Vic Prem and Qld/NSW Prem are just too far apart in terms of quality. This will change over time I'm sure (at very least there will be less of a gap). Still, for now, it wouldn't be a fair fight.

Cyril Towers (30)
Zinzan said:

The Americans can have "World Series" without having any teams from other countries. ;)

You can't really have it when the comps have started and it would be very hard to get players up for a game after the season has ended, so the preseason it is. The concept has been around for years (at least 30 years) but was forgotten for about 10 years until Uni pushed for its resurrection in about 2006. I don't think anyone is too precious about it. It is more about promoting club rugby. And surely that's not a bad thing.

Reactions: vac
G

Geronimo

I might even go and have a look at this match (even though it is the filth) as it should showcase some of the talent on the up. Pity the Reds game isn't on Saturday night. Might be the first time I ever cheer for Brothers. They always seem to be on the right side of the ledger against the Breakers of late

Cyril Towers (30)
Trist did an ACL late in the season last year. Still recovering from a knee recon. He is doing Med at Sydney Uni and comes from the Gong, but I believe he'll be back later in the year. Great player.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Noddy said:
proving once again that Brisbane is the true heart of rugby in Australia.

;)
It's obvious to me Noddy, that Brisbane is indeed hosting the premier Rugby comp in the country!

Status
Not open for further replies.