• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I didn't hear what Laurie said but I'm going on what I heard last week.

If he is back then that is good news.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
I thought I'd share this article here.

And was wondering if you blokes had heard anything more on this part of the article?

My good mate and former Brumby Dan Palmer is set to retire at 25. Not so long ago he was an Australian Wallabies representative. After a year-long sojourn in France, Dan’s priorities have changed. He's going to go to university, trading lacing up his boots for opening up his mind.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/clyde-rathbone-contemplating-my-next-move-20140404-zqqqi.html#ixzz2xxsz82gd

If he does that is a real shame for Australian rugby.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I notice that only 7,000 turned up for the Brumbies v Blues match. It seems that the Brumbies are following the Waratahs in being unable to get the punters to the game.

Any reason for this? Is this the first low crowd? (Can't say I've been following Brumbies' crowds - just noticed it in G&GR news)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yep, It was pissing rain all week to the lead up to the game. There was no way I wanted to go out there in the cold and wet. I prefer to watch it in the comfort of my own home.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Yep, It was pissing rain all week to the lead up to the game. There was no way I wanted to go out there in the cold and wet. I prefer to watch it in the comfort of my own home.
Understandable position to take in this particular instance but what it doesn't explain is the poor attendances at home games in the early part of the year when the weather is not an issue. The Brumbies appear to have a core support of 10-12k and then a walk up crowd of 5-8k dependant on the opposition if you look at there crowds over the last 3/4 years.
They are trying to have the venue issue addressed with talk of a covered venue close to the city, great idea but well down the track.
What can they do now because they have a team which currently deserves better and given all the media and comment about the influence on referees and results that crowd support can achieve it is something that the Brumbies need to address.
We have seen NZ teams move their games around to involve their regions maybe this is something the southern inland regional centres can look at. The Brumbies were everyones second favourite team during the early 2000's but they do not appear to have tapped into this wider support.
Looking forward to a special Anzac Day in Canberra starting at dawn and finishing with a win over the Chiefs, a small matter of redemption against the Reds at Suncorp this weekend, I hope our friend Steve is not influenced by those pesky Reds supporters.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Understandable position to take in this particular instance but what it doesn't explain is the poor attendances at home games in the early part of the year when the weather is not an issue.

This is the answer

Reds game was on when the show was on and they had 70K to the Saturday and it wasn't cheap to go to.

Waratahs game clashed with Skyfire that gets upwards of 100K.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is the answer

Reds game was on when the show was on and they had 70K to the Saturday and it wasn't cheap to go to.

Waratahs game clashed with Skyfire that get's upwards off 100K.

Why do Canberrans prefer second rate rubbish to going to the rugby?

We'd like to know the answer to this in Sydney as well.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I did hear that the Brumbies and possibly the Raiders have consulted with the Government to make sure they don't clash with Skyfire in future.

Not sure about the show though.

Status
Not open for further replies.