• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
confirming Kite isn't signed by the Brumbies. He's off to the Vikings. Clearly a development path and opportunities may come however.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He needed a stint in rugby league first so the ARU could give him him an exemption from the cap..........

T

Train Without a Station

It's rarely used in rugby but the NRL media use it a lot and it shits me to tears. This concept of players being "forced out by the salary cap". There is no such thing. Either a team values others more and that player less, or they are asking too much. In this particular case the brumbies valued keeping all their wallaby reps over signing Kimlin and unfortunately didn't even have enough left to offer him a low contract.

T

Train Without a Station

Would have been good if he was able to come back though. Was a shame about his career best form coming after he had signed. Often it comes when players are on the open market.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
to be honest if he was desperate to play for Australia, but wouldn't consider playing anywhere but the Brumbies, then I bad luck to him.

Country before province surely. A number of teams would have loved to have him and provide him the opportunity to show his wares to the Wallaby selectors.

Loyalty I can respect, but stubbornness is not a trait that appeals.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
to be honest if he was desperate to play for Australia, but wouldn't consider playing anywhere but the Brumbies, then I bad luck to him.

If he was desperate to play for the Wallabies then he shouldn't have left in the first place!

I have no sympathy for him at all, once you make the call to leave our shores you open yourself up to this situation.

T

Train Without a Station

If he was desperate to play for the Wallabies then he shouldn't have left in the first place!

I have no sympathy for him at all, once you make the call to leave our shores you open yourself up to this situation.

That's a bit harsh Baa baa. The only players that make good money here are those that earn wallaby top ups. If you aren't one of those players you could end up retiring at 32 having never earned more than $150,000 a year (good money, but hardly setting you up for life) and not have the profile to move into anything significant. In his late 20's having never really cracked it to make the hard call to move. Unfortunately he just managed career best form that would have seen him earn a top up if he maintained it when it was too late.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Reg was begrudging Kimlin making the decision to move to France.

It's more any sob story that goes with it about his dreams of playing for the Wallabies being shattered by salary demands that could have probably been met elsewhere in Australia (a decent Super Rugby salary that is, not what he presumably is getting paid in France).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
confirming Kite isn't signed by the Brumbies. He's off to the Vikings. Clearly a development path and opportunities may come however.

I had been struggling with the prospect of Kite signing for the Brumbies. They already have 6 props, 5 of whom have Super experience and one starred in the NRC. No need for another one at this time. Maybe in a year or two.

To remind those who might otherwise follow other Super teams, the Brumbies props are :

LHP : Sio, JP Smith, Les Makin;
THP : Alexander, Ruan Smith, Alan Ala'alatoa.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Baa Baa let me guess. Kimlin shouldn't have left in the first place, but Douglas shouldn't have been allowed to go? That is to say, Kimlin should have been prepared to play for his existing Super contract, but the ARU should have kicked in with more for Douglas. Am I reading it right?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's your own interpretation.. I don't remember anyone saying the ARU should've footed Douglas' bill. He left on his own accord.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's your own interpretation.. I don't remember anyone saying the ARU should've footed Douglas' bill. He left on his own accord.

Comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Was just taken aback a little by what appeared to be a fair bit of vitriol or sour grapes in Baa Baa's post. Can't see any reason to be so critical of a player who indicates he would only play for one Super franchise - like Horwill and I think Izzy has expressed a similar conviction in respect of the Tahs as well. Either way, either of Kimlin or Douglas would be very valuable in the Wallabies squad atm.

T

Train Without a Station

Michael Cheika maybe. But fair point. People have been realistic about Douglas' potential, and what performances he has actually put together at international level. Even those from NSW.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anyway,

Pre-season training apparently starts this week.

I'm sure the boys will be ready for collision work with Peter Ryan.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyway,

Pre-season training apparently starts this week.

I'm sure the boys will be ready for collision work with Peter Ryan.

Hope they survive it until the start of Super 15.

Brumbies' backline next year looks almost like a test team. White, To'omua, Tomane, Lealiifano, Kuridrani, Speight, Mogg. But what are the backups like? We lost a lot of the reserves from this year and apart from Dargaville, I'm not sure who else has been signed up. Coleman of course is still there.

Of the others in the mix that I am aware of, Dowsett didn't set the game alight in the NRC and I think Powell is the better prospect at No 9. I wasn't all that impressed with either Iona or Thompson at 10. Iona seemed to be a bit ineffectual setting up his outside backs while I thought Thompson's defense wasn't up to Super scratch in the games I saw. Hawke looked good to me but mostly playing at 15. Nigel Ah Wong is the standout replacement at No 13, but all in all that doesn't look like a very strong squad outside the starters.

Think we could be an injury or two in the backline from finishing outside the top 6 next year.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think you're right BR.

You look at what happened this year with the hookers and how that took some momentum out of the season.

Mogg is already missing from the early rounds and looking back on 2014, there were some backs reserves that just weren't up to it and no longer around, so hopefully this time around they are more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.