• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Maybe the Brumbies should stake a claim in Adelaide. 1 game a year against a Kiwi team would have novelty factor if well promoted.

I would test the water first; run a pre-season match there and see if the crowds come. A Kiwi team would be the right opponent. My gut feeling says it will be mildly successful.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe a Brumbies game at Newcastle? It is a bit far but they have a decent stadium, surely they have some rugby supporters too.

Maybe they have, but they didn't seem to turn out for a NRC game played there iirc. Or am I thinking about the Central Coast?

Maybe Wollongong? Otherwise, perhaps Adelaide if as BH says the state govt kicks in with a lot of lolly.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would test the water first; run a pre-season match there and see if the crowds come. A Kiwi team would be the right opponent. My gut feeling says it will be mildly successful.

I'd think against the Rebels might be a better game. SA people like nothing more than to see their Vic rivals get beaten at anything.:)

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I guess another possibility for selling off a home game would be Singapore now that their bid for their own team has fallen through. But the money would need to be good to offset the extra costs involved.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I guess another possibility for selling off a home game would be Singapore now that their bid for their own team has fallen through. But the money would need to be good to offset the extra costs involved.

Or even Japan.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe they have, but they didn't seem to turn out for a NRC game played there iirc. Or am I thinking about the Central Coast?

Maybe Wollongong? Otherwise, perhaps Adelaide if as BH says the state govt kicks in with a lot of lolly.

I think their is a better chance for a turn out in Newcastle then Wollongong, Better stadium too. If they can create the "novelty" factor it could be success. Small chance though... I like the idea of an Asian country now, Singapore or Japan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it's with the idea of generating extra income, the only places I can see it working are Adelaide, Darwin or Hobart/Tasmania. It only works if the government kicks in money to make it worthwhile (that is why the AFL games in Tasmania work).

The drawback compared to AFL is that none of those places are major rugby cities so the tourism dollars generated would be less than for an AFL game so presumably government funding to get the game there would also be much lower.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In the current climate, the idea of governments putting in a lot of cash for a game or two of rugby union at Super level is a bit hopeful. Maybe they would put in a top-up amount to supplement other sponsors bringing an event to their location.

Decent crowds for any relocated matches would be important but, on their own, probably wouldn't be enough to justify the change. Reckon it's more realistic to look at getting commercial sponsors, with the reason for moving some home games being to give those sponsors a bigger catchment (all the other Australian teams have base populations of 2m+).

The Western Force's method of getting separate sponsors for their 15 starting jerseys also shouldn't be dismissed by the Brumbies - even if they can't get all of those in Canberra.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I read they were looking at maybe 3 game sponsorship, not going the starting 15, but anything is a good thing.

EDIT: and if I win a 50 million over christmas i will pay for 3 weeks for GNGR to be on the front..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
All is not lost for Ita Vaea who has shelved his French plans at Brumbies B for one last crack with the Brumbies.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ith-super-rugby-comeback-20141220-128vfn.html

fuck_yeah1_by_lord_iluvatar-d69lo2o.gif

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rugby Union has generally been the more popular rugby code in the ACT since around the inception of the Kookaburras/Brumbies..............

Bigger crowds and higher participation player numbers............

Status
Not open for further replies.