• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a shame...

He's played well the past couple of weeks...

If he got back to his early 2013 form and worked on his defence he could've been a good test player.... alas.....

Is a shame, but I think a good opportunity for him and he is young enough to return and be successful. May take the pressure off him and allow him to heal, re-condition and regain his confidence under the radar.

Interesting his perception that regardless of form he believes Folau would see be Wallabies 15 ahead of him. I actually think its a view a fair few "potential" Wallabies may have and influence their decisions about taking opportunities O/S. IMHO the ARUs contacting is most likely to keep pushing young talent offshore and / or towards a secure income.

Re-signing Robbie is good news!

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a shame...

He's played well the past couple of weeks...

If he got back to his early 2013 form and worked on his defence he could've been a good test player.... alas.....

It's a shame, he's a good player at Super Rugby level but he never would be a good test player IMO. But this kind of player are important for the Australian Conference

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Moggy's departure will leave a big hole for the Brumbies at 15. Robbie's a useful stand in but I really think he has problems contesting the high ball and in one-on-one defense against the size of current day centres, wingers etc. And he certainly is way down the list of potential Wallabies imo.

So, I would think the Brumbies will be in the market for a new No 15. Maybe Dave Feltscher from Warringah?

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
There are 2 pretty hand players running around in the SS who might fit the bill, Harry Jones from Warringah & Alex Northam from Manly, both would be a good long term prospect, who might relish being "eased" in behind the backline the Brumbies will have next year. Massive opportunity to get an up and comer in there, rather than an older player who has never really stepped up to the next level.

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't see how Coleman over Mogg is going to mean we lose anything in catching high balls and defence. Not really strong points of Mogg's.

I think Coleman is a fantastic player, I would take this outcome every day.

Given the post world cup exodus that seems to happen i think we have a great looking squad for next year. Pocock is key though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jake's got Mogg. Montpellier next year.

But you've re-signed Coleman

Why would a decent back sign up for Jake ball?

Kick, clap, maul, repeat

No volume of great Languedoc wines could make up for the abject drudgery you would be inflicted with on the playing field.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting his perception that regardless of form he believes Folau would see be Wallabies 15 ahead of him. I actually think its a view a fair few "potential" Wallabies may have and influence their decisions about taking opportunities O/S. IMHO the ARUs contacting is most likely to keep pushing young talent offshore and / or towards a secure income.

I think this is a cop out. Folau is ahead of Mogg because his form is consistently much, much better than Mogg's.

I don't think it has anything to do with contracting. Players get Wallaby contracts because they are considered the best in their position.

In the one period where Mogg was consistently excellent he was selected in the Wallaby squad and played tests. He hasn't achieved anywhere near that sort of form since.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Disappointing_ Mogg leaving the Brumbies after long injury periods for the last few years_Just hasn't repaid for the clubs investment and faith to run off with the old Saffa coach with Nick White_ Just disappointing_ I can't see the Brumbies signing him again after this event....

Lets hope he makes up it against the stormers tonight...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Robbie Coleman has officially re-signed until the end of 2017. I guess his decision was made easier by Mogg heading off to Montpellier but good to see them retaining a local junior.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see how Coleman over Mogg is going to mean we lose anything in catching high balls and defence. Not really strong points of Mogg's.

I think Coleman is a fantastic player, I would take this outcome every day.

Given the post world cup exodus that seems to happen i think we have a great looking squad for next year. Pocock is key though

Defence no. But high ball yes. I take it you don't watch Mogg play often because he is very good under the high-ball. He even out-jumped Falou on occasion.

His kicking and high ball are his greatest assets IMO. It's also what sets him apart from other Aus fullbacks and makes him pretty much the only Aus fullback who could potentially be a "complete fullback", if only he could defend and stay calm under pressure - which are skills that can be learned as he matures and gets stronger and more experienced.

Massive loss IMO. An extra 10m from clearance kicks is going to be a noticeable loss next year.

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
Defence no. But high ball yes. I take it you don't watch Mogg play often because he is very good under the high-ball. He even out-jumped Falou on occasion.

His kicking and high ball are his greatest assets IMO. It's also what sets him apart from other Aus fullbacks and makes him pretty much the only Aus fullback who could potentially be a "complete fullback", if only he could defend and stay calm under pressure - which are skills that can be learned as he matures and gets stronger and more experienced.

Massive loss IMO. An extra 10m from clearance kicks is going to be a noticeable loss next year.

Fair enough on the high ball - particularly lately he's been really good - I guess I was just bundling it in with general high levels of turnovers in contact which I find frustrating.

I don't agree with the kicking though - he is a very long kicker of the ball (which is a massive gift I agree) but he is very inaccurate, I have never seen another player so consistently put the ball out on the full under no pressure. It is a hangover from the White days where theset peice was strong and the risk/reward of the erratic long kicking game was different to what it is now. I guess in time he could improve his accuracy whereas the natural distance he gets is impossible to coach, but he's been in the team for a long time now and still making the same kick errors - on the weekend there was one out on the full at an awful time and then one easy clearance that didn't find touch and put the pressure back on.

On the up-side his 55m penalty goal was a cracker on the weekend.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Fair enough on the high ball - particularly lately he's been really good - I guess I was just bundling it in with general high levels of turnovers in contact which I find frustrating.

I don't agree with the kicking though - he is a very long kicker of the ball (which is a massive gift I agree) but he is very inaccurate, I have never seen another player so consistently put the ball out on the full under no pressure. It is a hangover from the White days where these piece was strong and the risk/reward of the erratic long kicking game was different to what it is now. I guess in time he could improve his accuracy whereas the natural distance he gets is impossible to coach, but he's been in the team for a long time now and still making the same kick errors - on the weekend there was one out on the full at an awful time and then one easy clearance that didn't find touch and put the pressure back on.

Yeah he does tend to have a few kicks go astray but I think he has put in more good kicks then bad ones. I think that will also improve with experience as his decision making gets better - he certainly has the skills to make great touch finders but often goes for too much at the worst of times. And too be fair the kicks out on the full are just-out by 5 or so metres, they aren't exactly woeful kicks 20 metres out on the full.

I certainly agree with the high level of turnovers - every single time he goes into contact I am worried. I certainly wouldn't put him anywhere near a wallabies jersey any time soon. I hope he toughens up in France.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess in time he could improve his accuracy whereas the natural distance he gets is impossible to coach, but he's been in the team for a long time now and still making the same kick errors - on the weekend there was one out on the full at an awful time and then one easy clearance that didn't find touch and put the pressure back on.

The game is changing. Many kicks in general play are no longer meant to find touch. Distance is the main criterion together with a good chase to pin the opposition in their territory and then to look for a turnover. No point finding touch 15 - 20 metres down field, usually still well within your own half and gift possession as well by way of a lineout. Just watch the NZ teams generally but especially the Canes. I'd say the number of times they deliberately find touch is about one in every six to eight kicks.

Moggy's boot will be sorely missed unfortunately.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The game is changing. Many kicks in general play are no longer meant to find touch. Distance is the main criterion together with a good chase to pin the opposition in their territory and then to look for a turnover. No point finding touch 15 - 20 metres down field, usually still well within your own half and gift possession as well by way of a lineout. Just watch the NZ teams generally but especially the Canes. I'd say the number of times they deliberately find touch is about one in every six to eight kicks.

Moggy's boot will be sorely missed unfortunately.

And wasn't his kick out on the full actually a clearance kick from inside his 22. He didn't realise it was taken back. So that's just poor communication and awareness rather then execution.

I honestly think he is pretty consistent with the boot - apart from that finals series - which unfortunately is most important time to be kicking well. He picks the worst possible times to be off.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And wasn't his kick out on the full actually a clearance kick from inside his 22. He didn't realise it was taken back. So that's just poor communication and awareness rather then execution.

I honestly think he is pretty consistent with the boot - apart from that finals series - which unfortunately is most important time to be kicking well. He picks the worst possible times to be off.

Yes, iirc he did kick it from inside his 22 but wasn't aware that it had been passed back.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anyway, let's see who else they can re-sign or sign up for next year with a few names on the way out.

Top priority is a scrum half.

Status
Not open for further replies.