• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The new breakdown rules being trialled in the NPC are designed to encourage counter rucking and discourage pilfers. At least that's what this article concludes http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/12/18/new-laws-proposed-by-world-rugby-to-be-tested-in-2016-npc/

Any concerns about what that would mean for Pocock and his price tag if these rules were taken up globally? Ben Robinson was offered a 3 year deal and wallabies top up by Deans back in early 2013. The rules changed and he couldn't do his big trick in the scrums any more and has been for the most part left out of internationals whilst still being on a international's salary even to the end of this year.

Pocock is a better overall player but he still has one big trick that makes him world class and World Rugby might make it harder for him to perform it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He would, but there'd still be very few who wouldn't still pay him big money.

He dominated the 2011 tournament, they changed the interpretations to give less leeway to the pilferer, he spent the best part of 2 years out with consecutive ACLs, had to shift positions since his best one had been taken by an admittedly excellent Hooper, and he was still one of the best players at the most recent World Cup.

If that's not proof of his class, resilience and adaptability, I don't know what is.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
^ good call. In 2011 they changed the interpretations. Now they want to change laws and make him 1 meter offside. Id hate to see these changes disarm one of the Wallabies best weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Pocock is definitely not a one-trick pony. He is not at McCaw's level, but he is of a similar type.

No matter how the Laws change, he will be worth a slot in the Wallaby XV for a few years yet.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't agree at all that Poey had to change positions because of Michael Hooper. There has been a deficiency at No 8 in Aus rugby for quite a while, and the combination of Hooper at 7 and Poey at 8 was simply the best we could put on the field. Had we had an outstanding No 8 then I have no doubts at all that Poey would have been the Wallabies' No 7. Good as Hooper is, he does not have the all round game and impact of David Pocock. It will be interesting to see what happens at selection time if a really good No 8 comes out of the woodwork. If that happens, I can always see Poey in the 15, while I am not so sure about Michael if they are going head to head.

It is true that he was one of the best at the RWC playing at No 8, and he clearly established he was the best No 8 in the Wallabies. But he is essentially a No 7, and he will prevail if and when World Rugby tinker with the laws and rules.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Interesting question:

Have the Brumbies got the best backrow in the world this year? Fardy would be close to a world team, Pocock would be a dead cert, and by the end of this year I think Vaea will be starting some games in gold.

I cant think of a team in any comp atm with a better backrow.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Difficult to go against the Toulon trio of Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, Steffon Armitage and Duane Vermulen IMO Brumbieman, with one Mamuka Gorgodze coming off the bench to round it off.

Brumbies backrow certainly one of the best, if not the best in Super Rugby however.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think you're not too far off the mark Brumbieman, though perhaps have lauded Fardy a fraction to far. Had a better year with Pocock there to take over the breakdown work (Fardy kept getting penalised!)

But there are a number of others I would take over Fardy. Kaino, Burger and Gorgodze just to name 3 I would rather in my side. And I wouldn't say he stood head and shoulders above other International 6's in Poitgeiter, Alberts, Qera, Lobbe, Haskell, Robshaw etc. And again some 8's I'd rather play at 6 over Fardy if Pocock was @ 8, Parisse, Read, Vermulean.

This will be the most important Year for Vaea, has to become a consistent starter and performer to prove he should be Included in a unit of 6 BRs for a Wallaby squad.

Have to agree with Highlander 35, the top flight Toulon Backrow as a unit, including their depth, is hard to top.

Other ones that would give them a run for their money
London Wasps.
6. James Haskell (c)
7. George Smith
8. Nathan Hughes (makes Vaea look squishy and small, and will walk into the England squad when eligible)

Bath.
6. Dave Denton (32 test caps and another physical monster, 6ft 5, 119kg
7. Francois Louw
8. Leroy Houston - (an older Vaea), or Japan SUPER FREAK Mafi!!!!!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Difficult to go against the Toulon trio of Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, Steffon Armitage and Duane Vermulen IMO Brumbieman, with one Mamuka Gorgodze coming off the bench to round it off.

Brumbies backrow certainly one of the best, if not the best in Super Rugby however.

Manoa plays his fair share @ 8, and Juan Smith isn't exactly a pushover! Crazzzzy options

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nah, Fardy was one of the Wobs best players during the RWC, and certainly one of the best 6's of the tournament.....

Agreed. The RWC was definitely his best contribution to the Wallabies, helped by the fact he could focus on his roles as a 6 ie, workrate, tackles, carries, set piece, mauls, rucks etc, and not try to also spend half the game on the wing, and the other half try to pilfer (neither of which are terribly strong parts of his game).

I agree with Brumbieman that he would be CLOSE to making a world XV, but making it clear that yeh, he would NOT be the 1st choice 6. running around.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree with Brumbieman that he would be CLOSE to making a world XV, but making it clear that yeh, he would NOT be the 1st choice 6. running around.

Well, no one said that he was the 1st choice 6 running around............

But after being the top 6 at the RWC, he certainly could be considered 1st choice if we're ranking players on recent test form.........

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Toulon is the only one clear cut. Vermulan easily over Vaea, Pocock easily over Armitage, Class of Lobbe wins the tie breaker over Fardy, Gorgodze over Butler is the cherry on top.

Anyone else is highly highly debatable.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Toulon is the only one clear cut. Vermulan easily over Vaea, Pocock easily over Armitage, Class of Lobbe wins the tie breaker over Fardy, Gorgodze over Butler is the cherry on top.

Anyone else is highly highly debatable.

Toulon will probably own all 8 of them in the coming years..........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
10/12 looming again as a possible Achilles' heel for the Brumbies. Two excellent options in To'omua and Christian, but if one goes down injured, who covers? Robbie Coleman's best position is probably 12, but he is a step down from the other two, and James Dargaville and Nigel Ah Wong are more likely looking outside backs rather than 12s. Hopefully, young Jooste comes good if given the chance.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.