• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Impossible for me to defend Toua this week. Should put Dargaville at fullback, either Jackson-Hope or Coleman at 12 next week game, keep our current wingers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Toua was extremely busy in tonight's game and except for a couple of poor line kicks he is playing better than earlier in the year. He takes a lot of the load of being first receiver off Christian and together they provide a distributing presence on both sides of the ruck. I think he is improving, and shows signs of further improvement. Mainly needs to get a good bit of kicking coaching from somewhere.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the reality is we just need to ask the simple question of do we think we could find a better 15? Toua as his best is still patchy and not convincing, and even with him having a good game tonight, the errors in tonight's "better" performance are still a big concern.

I think the answer is yes we need a better 15. He may improve with time but we need to start hunting for a 15 for 2017.

I would even take a chance on Hunt atm.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He takes a lot of the load of being first receiver off Christian and together they provide a distributing presence on both sides of the ruck.

But it's not a good presence..........

His passing has been terrible, and often goes to nobody or behind the player.........

He was much improved last night, but he's being shown up by the likes of Ruan Smith and Rory Arnold.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Slim, I have to say that I didn't notice any of the poor passing you refer to. Are you able to provide examples?

After last night's efforts, I think Ruan should fill in at 10.:) But seriously, he was very good in open play, and his pass to set Allan A up for the run to the line was just perfect. Had a number of other good touches as well including the last pass to Fards for his try.

The efforts by the replacement starters were generally quite good and went a long way to helping the win, but I think we really need to see some of the injured coming back to keep the momentum going. Does anybody know when Henry or Joe are due back? What is Andrew Smith's condition? I understand Matty might be out until after the June test break. The backline will start to look a bit better as these players return.

I also have to say that Joe Powell is playing impressively. Right up to the mark if he has to start for any reason in coming matches and a great long term prospect.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, I have to say that I didn't notice any of the poor passing you refer to. Are you able to provide examples?

I can't provide time and date right now, but if you go back and watch all of the Brumbies' games this year you'll see a pattern of passes he's thrown going to ground...........

I'm actually quite surprised to see you praise his distribution role, because it's been quite obvious that it's one of the contributing factors to the Brumbies' attack being so poor this year...........

The Brumbies would be better off playing Ruan Smith, Arnold or Fardy in that position.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought your reference to his passing was directed at last night's game, as was mine. However, if it has been as woeful as you say, then last night's efforts would certainly be an indication of some improvement.

And I don't attribute the Brumbies' poor attack to Toua - it is no better when the ball goes through Christian imo. I believe there is a problem with the game plan and the attack structures that are probably an indication of a coaching deficiency rather than a particular player. Christian is running way too laterally and in the main the Brumbies are telegraphing their moves so that they have been easy meat for defenses. Same thing happened last night. You'd have to say that their present attack mode is identical to the Richard Graham led Reds which was to get the ball to Kerevi (Kuridrani for the Brumbies) and hope he can do something with it.

The attack needs to straighten up and Christian needs to take the line on a bit more. They need to develop some sleight of hand plays, like the simple play that led to Ah Wong's try against the Bulls. Don't think they even attempted that move once last night. It is very discouraging to watch the backline in operation atm.

These are much bigger issues than Toua at full back.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agreed on Lilo.........

He's traditionally been good at straightening the attack and taking on the line, but seems reluctant this year..........

Can't figure out why?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
But it's not a good presence....

His passing has been terrible, and often goes to nobody or behind the player...

He was much improved last night, but he's being shown up by the likes of Ruan Smith and Rory Arnold.

He was better last night, he put in some nice runs, and when he hits the ball at pace his got a deadly step. But, his been real patchy, and has had some shockers in all parts of his game, when he has time to think he makes a hash of it.

But I think we are stuck with him for the rest of the year as I think that's how the Brumbies will play. All we can hope for is that he starts to get more consistent and the brain farts get less. I think his form is like his career so far, patchy.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^intersting comments when you look at the stats this year. The Brumbies are ranked 2nd in carries but 13th for metres made. So that stats might support the not straightening and lack of going to the line theory. We always seem to have a ton of pill. but its what we do with it, or the lack of it is the concern which suggests game plan.

Another interesting aspect that came out of last nights game was that some of the tries came as a result of offloads. Even after last nights game, the Brumbies are ranked 15th for offloads. The Kiwi teams on the other hand are near the top of the rankings.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
^^^intersting comments when you look at the stats this year. The Brumbies are ranked 2nd in carries but 13th for metres made. So that stats might support the not straightening and lack of going to the line theory. We always seem to have a ton of pill. but its what we do with it, or the lack of it is the concern which suggests game plan.

Another interesting aspect that came out of last nights game was that some of the tries came as a result of offloads. Even after last nights game, the Brumbies are ranked 15th for offloads. The Kiwi teams on the other hand are near the top of the rankings.

I am very unimpressed with Larkham's tactics and coaching. The Brumbies drown in possession and do precisely two parts of SFA with it. They went 15+ phases in the Rebels 22 last night and did nothing with the ball. Against a better defensive side they would do worse, just like say they did against the Crusaders a couple of weeks ago. Last night was an example of a Brumbies side bullying a side just as poorly coached which, while having their best ever year, will finish mid table.

I have no doubt that the Brumbies will make the finals under the stupid conference system, as the winner of the Oz Conference, and will get humiliated by which ever NZ side they play. If this was being played under the old Super 12 system I doubt that there would be any Oz sides in the finals. If this is the best Larkham can come up with then I fear the Wallabies will be in for a lesson in humility from the Abs and probably the English this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
TBF, there was a statistic a couple of weeks ago stating that only the Stormers, Crusaders and Rebels hadn't conceded tries after 7 phases.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Once again though, the best of the Brumbies attack has come from the forwards........

When it comes to general ball skills, cutout passes, offloads, drawing the man and passing, putting players into gaps...... even kicking........ the forwards' skillset are just so much better.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we're hurting a lot more than it seems without guys like Tomane, Speight, Coleman, and To'omua. I'm glad we have guys like Ah Wong and Dargaville to step up, and they haven't been bad, but it's hard to maintain a world-class standard with players who don't event get much Super Rugby. I even think having Andrew Smith fit would have helped with a lot of our problems.

We should cherish how lucky we are with depth in the forwards. I don't know any other team in Super Rugby that can basically treat their reserve front row as less-tired starters, nor a team with four locks fighting for two spots. All we really lack is a reserve 7.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Another current issue is the failure at times of the defensive setup. It was evident last night in the first phase off lineout try by Naivalu. I think that can be put down to the disruption in the backline with players like To'omua, Speight and Tomane missing. Hopefully, a few of those will be back soon.

I also agree that the attacking structure seems to be suffering from CL at 10 and MT at 12. I'd really like to see them swap again when Matty returns. Remember too, that Larkham actually resisted suggestions last year to put CL at 10 and MT at 12, but this year has apparently complied (with the Wallabies' coaches wishes, I wonder). The backline does look more dangerous in attack and more solid in defense with Matty at 10.

Reactions: mst

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah we lost a wallaby lock and still had 3 awesome locks playing Staniforth impresses me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aaaaaaand just like that, the Brumbies drop out of the top five..........

They're now sitting in sixth position, and likely to drop down to seventh after next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.