• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seb, my concern with Butler is much the same as yours with Sam. I can see the situation occurring where he isn't regularly in the starting side, so big risk to hand him the captaincy.

On the suggestion of Mason, I really don't see him offering anything more than Joose atm, and I believe Jooste has a much higher ceiling (ie more potential) than Mason as a No 10. Jooste's main weakness right now is his defense. In attack, he has much more variety and ability to do things himself than Mason has ever shown at U20s or NRC level. He also has a massive boot, not far behind Hodge or Debreczini, which gives him another advantage.

I just don't think Jooste is the player to lead the Brumbies' backline just yet, but he will be in a year or so.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Turned down a Reds offer, looked at Force but then turned them down. Then went back to the Reds, who had withdrawn their offer in the meantime, so apparently he is looking south.

People in the Rebels thread are losing it about our options at 10. I think it's unfounded by the worries are real.

Perhaps he can look there, because between Foley, Hegarty, Deegan, and arguably Horwitz, the Tahs would be signing him just because.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just read on the front page that the Rebels have signed Garden-Bachop from the Mitre 10 comp. I've been trying to generate interest in him on this thread for some time now. I am very disappointed that he is off to the Rebels and not coming to the Brumbies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, was with you on that one BR. not happy!! Yet we sign the other twin ... who I really can't see offering anything that isn't already there.

Wonder if this mess is due to Larkham not being here, off with Wallabies. Who is in charge of recruitment atm?

Starting to look more and more like the Brumbies gig is just a filler for him next year until he goes Wallabies full time. What leadership is there at the Brumbies atm?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ant F is an excellent defender, communicator, and trainer. Providing he is paid the right price, and we're not privy to that, he's a good buy. He will nurture your youth well.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ant F is an excellent defender, communicator, and trainer. Providing he is paid the right price, and we're not privy to that, he's a good buy. He will nurture your youth well.

Um, no. Ant made a jaw dropping 1.98mtrs per carry in 2016, at a even more staggering 10.7 mtrs per game with a tackle success lower then 80% and an average of a turnover per game. The Reds were not upset that he is gone.

What does he bring to the Brumbies that we don't already have?

The biggest issue for the Brumbies is that a group of over 65yo Swiss pensioners has more attack than the Brumbies backline ATM!

T

TOCC

Um, no. Ant made a jaw dropping 1.98mtrs per carry in 2016, at a even more staggering 10.7 mtrs per game with a tackle success lower then 80% and an average of a turnover per game. The Reds were not upset that he is gone.

What does he bring to the Brumbies that we don't already have?

The biggest issue for the Brumbies is that a group of over 65yo Swiss pensioners has more attack than the Brumbies backline ATM!

Not defending Ant, I think he is past his prime...
But his 2016 figures are also a reflection of a completely inept Reds attacking structure

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So he should fit in seamlessly at the Brumbies next year?;)

Seriously, I do hope that coming home will rejuvenate him and he does perform more than satisfactorily in whatever role he plays. I would be inclined to put him at 7.:D Get him to pretend he is Colby come back.

The local paper opined today that he would partner Godwin in the centres. Big chance. TK will be at 13, fitness allowing. I suspect we might see 10 Godwin, 12 Ant, 13 TK at some stage. Not much in the way of attack, but probably a very strong defensive combination.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Matt, he may "buck up" back at home and in a new environment. Not unlike Reds contracting Moore but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Not a bad squad member I reckon.

Just not what we need is my main issue. I have no doubt he is a good team man, but he is past his prime and a defensive centre.

Cheap yes, but at the expense of new talent.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So he should fit in seamlessly at the Brumbies next year?;)

Seriously, I do hope that coming home will rejuvenate him and he does perform more than satisfactorily in whatever role he plays. I would be inclined to put him at 7.:D Get him to pretend he is Colby come back.

The local paper opined today that he would partner Godwin in the centres. Big chance. TK will be at 13, fitness allowing. I suspect we might see 10 Godwin, 12 Ant, 13 TK at some stage. Not much in the way of attack, but probably a very strong defensive combination.

I think 10 will be shared between Godwin and Jooste.

I feel sorry for Godwin as its a big ask and if it doesn't go exceptionally well I fear it will be damaging for him. I actually think based on form A Smith would be better at 12.

My JJH @10 suggestion may still be an option.

However, I still hold some hope as I think we have one slot left.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You guys shoulda done a Rebels and signed some up'n'coming NZ 10 who was looking for some exposure. Now theres one less option to choose from.

Imagine if Beale used his exit clause to end his contract in London after one year and you snapped him up.

I'd probably infiltrate the Brumbies, become CEO and burn the fucker to the ground. I'd never forgive nor forget.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You guys shoulda done a Rebels and signed some up'n'coming NZ 10 who was looking for some exposure. Now theres one less option to choose from.

Imagine if Beale used his exit clause to end his contract in London after one year and you snapped him up.

I'd probably infiltrate the Brumbies, become CEO and burn the fucker to the ground. I'd never forgive nor forget.

Not a new thought Michael. A couple of us have been banging on about precisely this for quite a few weeks and quite a few pages on this thread. Jackson Garden-Bachop was precisely the player being nominated. Unfortunately, the Brumbies' organisation either don't pay any attention to us, or they are so slow in acting that they were beaten to the gun.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

As BR said (and the one that suggested him), scroll back and you will see he was extensively discussed.

We are sending the Rebels the invoice for the finders fee!

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
The signing of A Fa
Matt, he may "buck up" back at home and in a new environment. Not unlike Reds contracting Moore but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Not a bad squad member I reckon.
Good logic in this signing, given the loss of experience from To'omua and Lealifano not being around. Won't necessarily be dynamiq but a good talker and defender who can help to 'manage' the back line if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.