• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It was the over-emphasis being placed on the set piece/rolling maul that got up my nose, and I suspect it was similar with other Brumbies' fans. It had got to the point where the backs were really being ignored, or just used to kick the ball away. I think the strong forward play has been well appreciated by most of us; we just wanted to see a bit of running rugby thrown in as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was the over-emphasis being placed on the set piece/rolling maul that got up my nose, and I suspect it was similar with other Brumbies' fans. It had got to the point where the backs were really being ignored, or just used to kick the ball away. I think the strong forward play has been well appreciated by most of us; we just wanted to see a bit of running rugby thrown in as well.
Gee, I love the fact that the brumbies are good at set piece: one less issue to worry about and provides a team with the full array of playing style options when you can be more sure than most teams of, in particular, winning your own line out, from which most tries are scored.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^
I'm the same. As great as tries like Toua's were, that pushover try from the scrum was a thing of beauty. It's rugby union, you use all weapons in your arsenal. If people don't like it...watch league.
Not a fan of pushover tries - at least not more than 1 a game.
What it showed was superiority in all facets.
My view over 22 years is that the Brumbies work hard on detail and get themselves to a point of mastery of that detail and are able to stitch he detail together.
The last bit is the hardest and it's what the NZ teams do well.
To take that Tahs, as an example of the usual Aussie approach, they start stitching long before they have mastered the detail.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
:D

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 7.44.07 am.png

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I think you'll find that over playing the set piece early in the season is a tactic, so teams start focusing on that in defense and as the season goes on bringing in other weapons and tactics to keep teams on their toes, so to speak.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sio could be out for a few months or a few weeks with the knee injury from the Hurricanes game.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...aits-on-scott-sio-injury-20170426-gvswev.html

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looked to me that he might have gone into the game with the injury. Only lasted, what, 12 minutes or thereabouts, and while he was on they gave up at least one penalty and one tight head.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Looked to me that he might have gone into the game with the injury. Only lasted, what, 12 minutes or thereabouts, and while he was on they gave up at least one penalty and one tight head.
First scrum they say he went down akward

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gutted that Sio is out, especially after his strong return. But I'm not worried about his replacement; Mayhew has been tremendous this season.

We'll probably go back to having Alexander cover LHP and bring Makin back onto the bench, but I'm excited by the posibility of Sione getting a shot!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gutted that Sio is out, especially after his strong return. But I'm not worried about his replacement; Mayhew has been tremendous this season.

We'll probably go back to having Alexander cover LHP and bring Makin back onto the bench, but I'm excited by the posibility of Sione getting a shot!

Is Mayhew Aussie qualified? He does look good.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
According to Brumbies Website

Mayhew was born in Auckland and has played 11 matches for the Blues over his first two seasons in Super Rugby. The 27-year old can represent England, New Zealand and Australia due to his father being born in the UK and his late grand father in Australia.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chris Dutton responds to Wayne Smith (truncated version)...........

Heard the one about the Brumbies moving to Melbourne?

It is viewed by some (well, those in Melbourne and Perth anyway) as the only solution to the ongoing Super Rugby saga as the ARU sharpens the axe to cut either the Rebels or the Force.

But it's actually old news. Really old. And for all of its flaws, you've got to give relocation spruikers credit for one thing - persistence. Actually, 20 years of persistence.

One report in 1999 said "talk that the ACT Brumbies will be re-located to Melbourne just won't go away". If Australian rugby's performances had been as dogged as the media's pursuit of uprooting the Brumbies, maybe the sport wouldn't be in this mess.

Moving the Brumbies, Australia's most successful franchise, to accommodate the future of two struggling teams (the Force and the Rebels) is farcical.

If you're only new to the Brumbies relocation story, here's a quick recap of some of the best bits:
  • In 1998, The Australian reported there was a "distinct possibility the Australian Rugby Union will uproot the Brumbies from Canberra and resettle them in Melbourne" if a bid for a fourth licence failed. Then Brumbies coach Eddie Jones warned of a player revolt if that was the case.
  • A year later, there were reports the Brumbies secretly visited Olympic Park in Melbourne after the "leather-patch brigade" were spotted in the Victorian capital.
  • There was also a political war behind the scenes as former ARU boss John O'Neill said opposition to his leadership was being pushed from Canberra. "And I know why they started it. That's because I had the temerity to raise the issue of location of the ACT Brumbies."
  • Then there were the experts. Former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer said the Brumbies should be relocated just months after winning the 2004 Super Rugby title. "The obvious one is: are the Brumbies best-placed in Canberra?"
  • There were more reports in 2005 and 2006 and it has been simmering below the surface before fuel was added to the fire when the Brumbies removed "ACT" from their name. Even last year former Wallaby Mark Ella said the Brumbies had outgrown Canberra and should expand to Western Sydney.
I could bore you with 20 other articles of the potential to relocate the Brumbies, but it's the same stuff being dredged up about Canberra being too small and markets in Melbourne or Perth being more lucrative.

But the important part, which really applies to all the surviving teams really...........

But the Super Rugby disaster has to spark change at the organisation to recapture those who have been lost to the game and the Brumbies over the past 10 years.

You only have to look at the way the Canberra Raiders have revived the Green Machine to know that it can be done.

With the Raiders flying high, where does that leave the Brumbies? It's a question that will be asked and the safety of this season can be turned into a launching bad point the franchise in a new direction.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...nvigorate-canberra-rugby-20170426-gvsjqc.html

Status
Not open for further replies.