• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Raiders current support level is a double edged sword both giving us hope that Canberrians have the desire and capacity to support teams, but how many supporters are left or want to support the Brumbies?

The Raider have really done no more than the Brumbies on field in the last few years (arguable less) but are showing if you get the crowds with a combination of performance (allowing the players to play and express themselves), game day experience and supporter interaction / culture / interest (I blame that damn clap and giant horn!) you can still get crowds of 15K+ even if you are only winning 50% of the time.

It really highlights the culpability, incompetence and damage caused by the Brumbies management over the last few years, especially more recently.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really feels like the absence of key inside-back talent (Cubes, Lilo, recently Godwin) has been the difference between controlling a game and holding on for dear life. If we had recognised talent there, I'd argue we'd be 7 wins from 9 right now.

That said, I like what the future holds for Powell and Hawera, and think it's the right thing for the team to keep developing them in the starting lineup.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Developing a 9-10-12 combination is difficult enough with established players but that combo is entirely new this year so was always going to be hard. I think they're probably ahead of where they were expected to be and will only get better as the season goes on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree there BJ. It was mostly about the inexperienced 9, 10 and 12 (after Cubelli went down) that posters here wrote the Brumbies off for the season. They haven't been going too badly considering. Powell is probably the leading No 9 in the Aus conference this year. And we really have been understaffed at 12 with Godwin not in top form before being injured and Andrew Smith, really a 13, somewhat on the down hill slide I think, and JJH not yet anywhere near the level of Super Rugby (maybe never will be).

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Definitely ahead of where we expected to be, and it's a cold-hearted fan who isn't thrilled to see a local like Powell go from clubland to Wallabies camp in less than two years. Like I said, keep giving them time and we'll reap the rewards.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We have four points and a game in hand over the Waratahs, and even further clear of the rest of the pack. These are the fixtures for the rest of the season:

Brumbies: Lions (H), Kings (A), Jaguares (A), Rebels (H), Reds (A), Chiefs (A).
Waratahs: Rebels (H), Highlanders (A), Chiefs (A), Jaguares (H), Force (A).
Reds: Rebels (A), Force (H), Blues (A), Brumbies (H), Highlanders (A).
Force: Jaguares (A), Highlanders (H), Reds (A), Hurricanes (H), Rebels (H), Waratahs (H).
Rebels: Reds (H), Waratahs (A), Crusaders (H), Brumbies (A), Force (A), Jaguares (H).

The only write-off for us appears to be Chiefs away, but we should have the conference tied up by then.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's incredible that the only thing keeping the Brumbies ahead of the pack is not getting flogged by all the Kiwi teams so far.......

How many losing bonus points have they picked up now? 5 from 6 losses?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies only have 2 more conference games, whilst most of the others have 3.

The Lions this week could be anything and it's been 6 years since they were last here. Earlier this year, you might have chalked up a win against the Kings but not so much now. The Tahs played them into form..

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
They seem to lack heart this year the Brumbies.

6 close games now for 6 losses. They just don't have the spirit to get over the line unless they're 50 in front.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, it's nothing to do with heart - they've lost a lot of experienced players.......

It makes it harder to close out tight games.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lost experience is a factor, but we'd probably have a 70% win rate about now if we had a coach like Rennie, Boyd, or Ackermann. Easy for the players to get lost without that much direction from above.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We currently have a try-scoring drought of 211 minutes. It's never been this bad in Brumbies history. The last (and only) time it got this close (just under 200 minutes in 2007), Larkham was the flyhalf and Fisher was the head coach.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lost experience is a factor, but we'd probably have a 70% win rate about now if we had a coach like Rennie, Boyd, or Ackermann. Easy for the players to get lost without that much direction from above.

True, the experience is just the difference between winning or losing tight games when you play boring rugby...........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Touring squad for SA/Argentina

FORWARDS
Robbie ABEL
Allan Ala'alatoa

Chris ALCOCK
Ben ALEXANDER
Rory ARNOLD
Jarrad BUTLER
Sam CARTER (c)
Blake ENEVER
Lolo FAKAOSILEA
Scott FARDY
Ben HYNE
Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I-MAKIN
Josh MANN-REA
Nic MAYHEW
Faalelei SIONE
Jordan SMILER

BACKS
Tom BANKS
Kyle GODWIN
Wharenui HAWERA
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE
Tevita KURIDRANI
Andrew MUIRHEAD
Joe POWELL
De Wet ROOS
Andrew SMITH
Henry SPEIGHT
Aidan TOUA

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not worth bringing Lonergan for the insurance? 2013 saw us lose White, but we had three 9s on tour and had cover.
Dargaville must be injured; our best back three this season has been Dargaville-Speight-Banks, a real shame we won't have that option. Would have also liked to have seen Staniforth in the squad.

Hopefully we can put out this side against the Kings:
Mayhew, Mann-Rea, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Carter, Fardy, Alcock, Fakaosilea, Powell, Hawera, Smith, Godwin, Kuridrani, Speight, Banks
Abel, Sione, Alexander, Enever, Smiler, Roos, Jackson-Hope, Toua.

Reactions: mst

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah off with a head knock in the Oceania Cup games and from what I've heard the second this season. I also heard he has been been replaced in the Aus 20's by Goddard for this reason under advice. Pity he has missed out, but ably replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.