• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So anyone else just a wee bit concerned that the Brumbies still don't have a HC contracted for 2017?

I am intrigued as to why Burnie is still yet to sign. Love to be a fly on the wall and find out why!

The contract was offered to him before the Jones thing kick off - so its been unresolved for more than a few months.

If the ARU were to offer full time assistant jobs....would he?

Didn't Pulver say he wanted structural change in the coaching roles at the wallabies, no more part-time roles.

So he could be tossing up between HC at the Brums or full-time assistant coach at the wallabies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^yep! That's what I heard.

So here is my speculator, calling it first!

Bernie to sign 1 year as HC and then depart to the Wallabies as assistant and HP role to support Super Rugby clubs.

Grey to do the same from the Tahs,

Brumbies HC 2018 will be either Fisher or McKeller; Fisher returning either-way in some capacity.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Has Larkham re-signed yet?

Just said on the radio a decision in 2-3 weeks

So no decision until after the Super Rugby season which is interesting timing.

How can he have not made a decision yet?

How can the Brumbies board have left it this late in the season to have not secured a head coach for 2017 or started a process? Why am I asking this question as its the Brumbies board and nothing is surprising when it come to them and stupidity that affects the club!

Maybe we'll be in line for the third best candidate for the Reds, after Qld and WA get in for their dibs.

EDIT:
Bernie to sign 1 year as HC and then and depart to the Wallabies as assistant and HP role to support Super Rugby clubs.

Brumbies HC 2018 2017 will be either Fisher or McKeller; Fisher returning either-way in some capacity.

Please please please sign an attacking coach - A kiwi even!

Maybe the recent reporting in the Crimes a few weeks ago about McKeller looking to step up to HC soon were an icebreaker.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if McKellar is an ideal HC after after the disappointment that was the 2014 UC Vikings...............

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not sure if McKellar is an ideal HC after after the disappointment that was the 2014 UC Vikings.....

Yeah, either am I - not a fan, but with the right assistants maybe.

What other options are there?

Anyone free to go hangout in the Balleymore carpark and make a new friend?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I believe Bernie will still be head coach next year........... after that is another question..............

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I think they're due for a coaching overhaul so I would be perfectly happy to see him announce that he's sticking around for a year so they have adequate time to search for a good replacement, and then he heads off to be a full time assistant for Cheika............

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually wonder if strategically for the Brumbies, not going outside to replace a HC (with the exception of Fisher on a 2 year deal as he is a local so to speak) would be a smart thing as it would provide an air gap to reestablish the business, team and brands reputation?

Compared to the Reds or even the Force, a high calibre HC will also be look at the business and the Brumbies are in a funny place atm.

No CEO - and unless its an outside beyond the 12 or so who have already put their hands up blindly it could influence the decision of an outsider as the last outside was outed not for performances reasons, but hurting feelings, so a HC could get the same treatment. (as a side note I am starting to lean towards the ARU intervening to impalement a new governance model for all Super Rugby with the Brumbies as the pilot using a heavy hitter CEO and Thompson as his No.2)

You also have a board that still needs to cleaned out - identified in the internal review and feeds in to the above point, sponsors are yet to be shored up (EG: Aquis) and financially there are a lot of questions to be resolved.

So as a high profile HC its a lot to consider before you think about the actual team.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
For the sake of the Wallabies I hope Larkham stays at the Brumbies full time. After watching the Wallabies attempts at attack and the Brumbies this year it would be the best thing to happen for the national side since Deans left.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For the sake of the Wallabies I hope Larkham stays at the Brumbies full time. After watching the Wallabies attempts at attack and the Brumbies this year it would be the best thing to happen for the national side since Deans left.

Ah - no!

I think The Chieka NRL style game plan suits the attacking style of the Brumbies backline so its a good match. :p

I am happy for the Brumbies to make the sacrifice for the Wallabies and be forced to bring in fresh blood. ;)

You did see my Top 5 piece the other week about backs in Australia not running? The stats were damning. Pretty much indicates its a national thing coming from a single influence or a coincidence that every Super Rugby team is suffering from.

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm not sure if McKellar is an ideal HC after after the disappointment that was the 2014 UC Vikings.....
Appears he has done a good job with Brumbies forwards. Without the maul and scrum it's hard to imagine where the Brumbies would be...Beside the 2014 NRC his record as a HC is very good. He won 3 comps with Tuggies and I think his club in Brisbane won a Comp with him in charge.
McKeller was also in charge of the 2015 Vikings NRC team as a Coaching Director.
After 4 years as an assistant at Sup level he has done a fair apprenticeship.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ah - no!

I think The Chieka NRL style game plan suits the attacking style of the Brumbies backline so its a good match. :p

I am happy for the Brumbies to make the sacrifice for the Wallabies and be forced to bring in fresh blood. ;)

You did see my Top 5 piece the other week about backs in Australia not running? The stats were damning. Pretty much indicates its a national thing coming from a single influence or a coincidence that every Super Rugby team is suffering from.

I can't put a like on the post which advocates Larkham continuing in Wallabies role.:) but I do agree with your sentiment for the Brumbies.

I did like you Blog article by the way, though I disagree that generationally skills improve. The skills are influenced by what the youngsters see gets them selected for higher honours and concentrate their training on that. Recall that Eddie Jones made a mathematically valid assessment the scrum is of low importance to the game and the breakdown and lineout much more important. Remember he structured the scrum and the pack to fit these assessments and a generation of players concentrated of open play and getting hands in the ruck, to get selected like Bill Young, Smith Waugh. The Pot plant props didn't even get Super contracts and a it has taken over a decade to address the issue part way.

Now I would argue that the myth of the running game has de-skilled our backs to the point that very few can kick effectively and when I look critically at all the available back in Oz none of them are in the same kicking league as Burke, Lathham or more recently Peter Hewat. The players who could kick very well in NSW that didn't get close to a start in Super Rugby were Chris Malone and Dan Parkes. Don't get me started how much better the amateur era players were even when they had to work with the old leather ball.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Larkham is a better HC then an attack coach.

We have still been final contenders since he has been at the helm. Compare this to say, Richard Graham who absolutely destroyed the Reds immediately after McKenzies departure. At least Larkham has maintained a some-what winning team...Well slightly detracted but kept them in finals contentions at least - which i think deserves a pass mark - not good not bad.

The funny thing is the biggest detractors have been the attacking game. Which is ironic given he is the wallabies attack coach.

You know the Brumbies would probably go pretty well if he stayed as HC but hired a decent attacking coach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But is he just coasting on the good work that Jake White did back in 2012-2013?

Only the forward pack has maintained consistency...............

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But is he just coasting on the good work that Jake White did back in 2012-2013?

Only the forward pack has maintained consistency.....

Yes he is.... But that takes some skills to do that. He is very new to coaching after all.

Like I said, Graham had a better set-up under McKenzie, he was even HC under McKenzie for a year as Director of Rugby, so you'd imagine the transition would have been smooth with most of the playing structures, players and culture in place... he failed miserably.

Larkham didn't have the transition set-up as smoothly as that, he thought he had another year or so under White to complete this "apprenticeship" but he got the HC role earlier then expected.

He has done well to at least maintain a finals contending team, especially given it is his first years as a coach.

The bad thing is simply his attack, it is crazy to think he is wallabies attack coach when this is the area he is struggling the most.

I think he will be a good coach one day with more experience. I hope he goes oversea's for a stint after the Brumbies to get it.

Comparing him to other Aus coaches, who has done better? I'd say McKenzie and Cheika... no-one else is that far ahead of him. At least not proven with results.

I give him a pass mark. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Comparing him to other Aus coaches, who has done better? I'd say McKenzie and Cheika. no-one else is that far ahead of him. At least not proven with results.

That's not really a great indicator of quality................

Status
Not open for further replies.