• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That would be very disappointing....

I would like to seen him start at 6 after Fardy departs.

The Tahs can potentially offer him a better contract losing Skelton and Mumm. Still a very congested backrow at the Brumbies with Pocock, Alcock (is he signed for next year), Butler, Smiler, Fakaosilea etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Tahs can potentially offer him a better contract losing Skelton and Mumm. Still a very congested backrow at the Brumbies with Pocock, Alcock (is he signed for next year), Butler, Smiler, Fakaosilea etc.

True...... although I think Smiler will leave at the end of the year, and I can't see us keeping all 3 of Pocock, Alcock and Butler.

I'm not entirely impressed by Fakaosilea either, and Valentini will leapfrog him in the next year or two.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True.. although I think Smiler will leave at the end of the year, and I can't see us keeping all 3 of Pocock, Alcock and Butler.

I'm not entirely impressed by Fakaosilea either, and Valentini will leapfrog him in the next year or two.

I agree but you've got cash committed to him next year still.

If the Force remain so Adam Coleman isn't an option, I'd be chasing Blake Enever as well if he is off contract next year.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I woudl've thought the Tahs would be more interested in Enever than Staniforth....

IMO Enever is good enough to get a start in any other team except for maybe the Reds.

With the locks they have, they should be interested in both Enever and Staniforth. If contracted they'd both start for the Tahs next year.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Force fold - staniforth phillips and coleman to go to sydney, whilst big richie arnold can go join his bro in canberra. Noone goes to melbourne. Done.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the Force fold - staniforth phillips and coleman to go to sydney, whilst big richie arnold can go join his bro in canberra. Noone goes to melbourne. Done.

If the Force fold you think it wouldn't be best for Australian rugby if nobody went to Melbourne?

What did Melbourne do? They aren't the architects of any of this, and their lock stocks are terrible (though, Jefferies still has potential).

Unless you're joking, forums don't convey tone very well.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Force fold you think it wouldn't be best for Australian rugby if nobody went to Melbourne?

What did Melbourne do? They aren't the architects of any of this, and their lock stocks are terrible (though, Jefferies still has potential).

Unless you're joking, forums don't convey tone very well.

Yes a joke sorry. The whole idea of one team being removed is to strengthen the other teams and the arus capacity to keep them strong. Coleman I think I recall reading some time ago was being re-pursued by the tahs, phillips is a sydney man and staniforth being pursued. I'd suggest Arnold to the Rebels - they could use another big human to work with cummins and jeffries. Day has signed overseas and not sure about rettalick. Matwijow is a solid journeyman also.

RHP would be a good option for the Rebels as a proper 6 especially if Mafi is only doing 1 season (he may be doing 2) but based on what M leitch has been saying, playing for the sunwolves will be essential for playing for japan at the WC.

Rebels could also use Neville back down there considering he has legit dropped to no.5 lock in QLD. A mighty fall considering he signed with the Reds to replace Horwill.....for them to then bring back Douglas...and THEN for the reds to have aus best 2 young locks, homegrown Rodda and NSWman L.Tui. Perhaps the Tahs will try hard to get Tui back to Sydney?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies also potentially have Hyne and Cusack coming on as backrow options. I think any or some of Smiler, Pocock, Hyne, Cusack, Valetini could fill the No 6 spot as well as or better than Staniforth whom I regard to be essentially a lock with excellent development potential.

Reactions: mst

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes a joke sorry. The whole idea of one team being removed is to strengthen the other teams and the arus capacity to keep them strong. Coleman I think I recall reading some time ago was being re-pursued by the tahs, phillips is a sydney man and staniforth being pursued. I'd suggest Arnold to the Rebels - they could use another big human to work with cummins and jeffries. Day has signed overseas and not sure about rettalick. Matwijow is a solid journeyman also.

RHP would be a good option for the Rebels as a proper 6 especially if Mafi is only doing 1 season (he may be doing 2) but based on what M leitch has been saying, playing for the sunwolves will be essential for playing for japan at the WC.

Rebels could also use Neville back down there considering he has legit dropped to no.5 lock in QLD. A mighty fall considering he signed with the Reds to replace Horwill...for them to then bring back Douglas.and THEN for the reds to have aus best 2 young locks, homegrown Rodda and NSWman L.Tui. Perhaps the Tahs will try hard to get Tui back to Sydney?

I agree with a lot of this.

I don't think Neville can go back to Rebels though, professional relationships just don't work that way.

Maybe if the Rebels stick around (or if another team is interested) they can convince Pyle or Jones to come back to make a decent fist of playing in the WC (it is 2 years out). Doesn't matter that this isn't overly realistic, the player just needs to believe it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

IIRC. Alcock is only signed for this year, so is Butler and Smiler.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Can we put it off?

If its who we all think it will be it will really hose down the positive vibe we were finally starting to get. :(

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seriously though, good luck to him and I hope he can surround himself with some quality assistants.........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The uncertainty over the cut team didn't help in the search. If people don't apply or say no because it, it's hardly the Brumbies fault.

There should be some news on the contract front next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.