• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There’s probably a shortage of big backrowers across all Australian teams at the moment, that leaves rugby with an abundance of 185cm 95-105kg type players.

I cant help but think It’s generational result of targeted recruitment from the NRL teams. All NRL teams have 6-7 highly athletic 105-120kg big bodied back rower type players in their match day squads. Every Australian Schoolboy RU No.8/No.6 for the past 5 years seems to get signed by NRL teams.
Agreed, I think a lot of us have to remember 95% of young rugby players in this country are dual league and union players.

There is also massive stigma issues with union and league in this country, that forwards don’t touch the ball and that they rarely get opportunities to shine. I think this leads to a romanticized notion of bigger, athletic types wanting or preferring to play league if given the choice. The old “yawnion” notion.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
There’s probably a shortage of big backrowers across all Australian teams at the moment, that leaves rugby with an abundance of 185cm 95-105kg type players.

I cant help but think It’s generational result of targeted recruitment from the NRL teams. All NRL teams have 6-7 highly athletic 105-120kg big bodied back rower type players in their match day squads. Every Australian Schoolboy RU No.8/No.6 for the past 5 years seems to get signed by NRL teams.

I agree with you - We have lots of jumping 6s and locks, lots of 7s. Very few physically dominant lads. League is loaded with kids who would be great 8s and direct centres.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Caleb Timu and Wycliff Palu are probably two examples of big bodied backrowers in recent years, both however were first signed by NRL clubs before been picked up by rugby union.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In this analogy..

There’s 50 people in the orchard picking fruit before Aussie Rugby even turns up, by the time Aussie Rugby arrives at dawn the biggest and tastiest fruit has already been picked, occasionally one or two might get missed.

Thats the issue. Who's orchard? If the RA had an orchard they would be able to exclusively pick from it. So why are RA always last to pick?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What 'treatment' has Hawera received? He's not in your best 23 at present, simple. And if any inside back at the Brums could feel stiff for not getting more game time, surely it would be JJH

We are playing a 12 at 10.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thats the issue. Who's orchard? If the RA had an orchard they would be able to exclusively pick from it. So why are RA always last to pick?

The orchard is all 15-18 year old athletes across Australia, its fair game to all, exclusivity doesn't exist.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What 'treatment' has Hawera received? He's not in your best 23 at present, simple. And if any inside back at the Brums could feel stiff for not getting more game time, surely it would be JJH

Yep, Hawera had the opportunities in the early rounds but was very poor...........

There’s plenty of quality young 10/12’s in the wider squad but probably still a couple of years away.

S

Show-n-go

RA aren’t the last to pick, they’re the last to get picked

I don’t understand why any 15-22yr old with the option, would choose union over league. The pathways, opportunities and payments are far better. The only drawcard Union has currently is that if you make it you can go overseas and play

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
'Hey, there's some people criticising you winning games....'

Stuffed.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Brumbies have snagged Nick Frost back from the Brumbies. Their recruitment strategies over the last year or so have been excellent. It is what stood them apart from the start and they've recaptured it of late - I'm thinking the likes of Wright, Pulu, Slipper etc

From their release:
Absolutely but also it seems many good players would rather join the Brumbies than say the Tahs as suggests they feel they will be developed better at the Brumbies perhaps. I wonder how much this is at play as much as a good recruitment strategy....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pocock will likely miss the Brumbies' clash against the Japan Sunwolves on Sunday as he continues to battle a calf problem, which has crippled what could be his final season in Australian rugby.

SON OF A BITCH !!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If the leg is detached it can rot in hell. Or better still, be presented to Cheika as a memento of his early season crackpot training exercises.

Poey on one leg would still be a bonus.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He posted something on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram this morning of the ab workout he was doing, if his calf can do it, by fuck I dont know why his not playing.