• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
You think Lonergan going to stick around as well ?

Why would he stay if White signs? He will be bumped down the pecking order with reduced duties. He wants and needs games time. I would not be surprised if the Rebels or Tahs are watching with interest and there is always the risk of O/S options. The O/S option could be tempting for a 21yo wanting game time and opportunities to develop and establish a career.

I am with KOB above; White to the Tahs

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
White would be a great addition, but I would focus on retaining Powell and Lonergan, particularly as we'll get more years out of them and both being local products is a bonus..............

And even though Ryan Lonergan has already signed on for a couple of years, having his brother here would probably be a good incentive in keeping him longer term as well - he's still going to be playing backup to Fainga'a and McInerney for a little while.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If Nic were to come back, he won't be here before 2021 I believe. Ryan won't be bumped down the pecking order next year, and I suspect Matt Lucas won't be here in 2021.

I can see that Nic could well head for the Tahs, being a Hunter Valley lad and with connections at Eastwood.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is this a short term deal?

Didn't he recently sign on for one more year?

Indication White is coming back?

Answers......... go!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is this a short term deal?

Didn't he recently sign on for one more year?

Indication White is coming back?

Answers... go!

gone for good. Agree about White, although unfortunate for Powell as he's maturing.

The Plus500 Brumbies have agreed to allow scrumhalf Matt Lucas to be released early from his contract to take up an offer with Japanese Top League side the Ricoh Black Rams from September.

Lucas, who signed for the Brumbies at the beginning of the 2018 campaign from the Waratahs, will undertake a new challenge in Asia.

“I have really enjoyed my time at the Brumbies and will treasure the memories that I have made with the club,” Lucas said of his departure.

“The Brumbies environment and culture is one that I have treasured. The way in which the Brumbies wider community have embraced me has been very special and playing at GIO Stadium in front of some extremely loyal fans over the last two years is something that I won’t forget.

“This was a terrific opportunity for me, and I am thankful to the Brumbies for agreeing to release me early from my contract to head to Japan. It’s an exciting time for me and I am looking forward to what’s ahead.”

Lucas, who played 28 times for the Brumbies in a 61-cap Super Rugby career, is no stranger to Japanese club rugby having enjoyed a hugely successful stint inside Wallaby and Brumbies legend Matt Giteau at Suntory Sungoliath last season.

“Whilst we are sorry to see Matt leave, we understand this is a really good opportunity for him at this stage of his career,” Plus500 Brumbies Head Coach Dan McKellar commented.

“Matt has been a very important player in our group for the last two seasons. He is a competitor, drives standards and he has played a role in helping to develop our younger players.

"We wish Matty all the best for the future.”

Ted McMahon

Stan Wickham (3)
After Saturday's performance in Perth, White would be welcomed with open arms. At the same time Powell is doing a superb job. I have taken the time to watch some game footage with Lonergan, Albert and Pasitoa. All should be no greater than the wider squad as young development players. No where near Super Rugby level. Bringing these kids in before 2022 is too soon. I suspect there will be a few more announcements to come in the next few months.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lonergan is close, I think, but the others really need a year or two to mature and develop. Pasitoa looks to be a good backline manager with a lot of time to act, great passing and kicking skills. Doesn't seem to take the ball forward himself much. A bit like a young Handre Pollard type of player.

B

Bobby Sands

Lonergan is close, I think, but the others really need a year or two to mature and develop. Pasitoa looks to be a good backline manager with a lot of time to act, great passing and kicking skills. Doesn't seem to take the ball forward himself much. A bit like a young Handre Pollard type of player.

Pasitoa is a run first flyhalf, with a brilliant running and kicking game. His passing is fine too, but not his major weapon. He also hits hard in defence.

Ted McMahon

Stan Wickham (3)

Agree that Lonergan is close. Good basics. Albert sends a good pill, and has good foot work, but needs improvement in kicking and quick hands. Pasitoa plays a running centre's game without the footwork. Not quick enough or accurate with the hands, and tackling defence is a miss.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Must acknowledge that my comments on Pasitoa are the result of watching him in one game only, the recent match against Brisbane High. But it is interesting that Ted McMahon and Bobby Sands seem to have almost opposite views of his strengths and weaknesses.

B

Bobby Sands

Must acknowledge that my comments on Pasitoa are the result of watching him in one game only, the recent match against Brisbane High. But it is interesting that Ted McMahon and Bobby Sands seem to have almost opposite views of his strengths and weaknesses.

He was dominant again on the weekend in a top of the table clash where he outpointed league wunerkind Sam Walker (signed to Roosters). Likely to take Nudgee to three straight press. Most complete 10 to come out of Queensland in recent memory. He will go ok, you got a good one.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree that Lonergan is close. Good basics. Albert sends a good pill, and has good foot work, but needs improvement in kicking and quick hands. Pasitoa plays a running centre's game without the footwork. Not quick enough or accurate with the hands, and tackling defence is a miss.

Definitely agree that he is run first, and concievably could be a 12 at the next level - don't agree that his passing game is a major issue if at all. Run first 10s are rare in Australia (but think Finn Russel in Europe as an example of a run first 10).

Not sure how our appraisals are diametrically opposed @Brumby Runner they seem pretty in sync to me.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Lonergan got a lot of game time for the Vikings last season and was better than Powell for much of it. He'll be good enough for Super Rugby next year, no worries.