• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Of all the options, I'd hope Samu gets it. 80min player, doesn't break that often, and most importantly has already won two titles with the Crusaders.

Winning experience/habits are important and he's the bloke most experienced in that out of the options.

B

Bobby Sands

I remember watching Tom Cusack when he was in year 11, playing for Australian schools. I think they might have even won, and he was just incredible that day. Hope he takes another step up this year, big fan.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just want there to be a selection to be honest. I know we didn't hear about Mowen until ten days before the season, but we've usually been much better about this. We knew about Moore taking over for 2015 in August 2014, we knew about the Lealiifano-Moore and the Carter-Lealiifano co-captaincies a month in advance, and guys like Hoiles, Mortlock, etc.

McKellar mentioned at the fan forum last year that he had basically decided on his captain and his leadership group, I just want him to make it public.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Samu didn't even get in and he was the form back-rower across the board.

Of all the options, I'd hope Samu gets it. 80min player, doesn't break that often, and most importantly has already won two titles with the Crusaders.

I'm not anti-Samu or anything (I think he's an improvement on Isi Naisarani, there, I said it, sue me), but he's been really over-hyped compared to our other players. McCaffrey, Cusack, Valetini, and Brown are all absolute guns and I can totally see a world where Samu doesn't even make the bench with us. Samu's tries and long runs in the later half of the season have done a lot to make him seem like the best backrower we have, but, while that may be true, it's definitely not a sure thing.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
1 Sio
2 Fainga'a
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Swain
5 Douglas
6 Valetini
7 Samu (c)
8 McCaffrey
9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Pulu
12 Simone
13 Kuridrani
14 Kata
15 Banks

16 Slipper
17 McInerney
18 Leuluaialii-Makin
19 Cusack
20 Frost
21 Murihead
22 Fines
23 Wright

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Only positions in the back line I think is Kata to miss out for Wright or Murihead and 10 could go to Kuenzle or Pasitoa..

Bench is a lottery outside the front row

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like Les L-M a lot, and he has some experience at Super level, but I could also see Slipper moving to the THP bench spot with Harry Lloyd as backup to Sio. Anyone else think this is at least a remote possibility?

Douglas, I think, will find himself at No 6 when a bigger pack is required. I expect Enever to start with Swain in the second row.

I do like that backrow. Hard man at No 6, all round skills at 7 including not bad at pilfering, and creative player at No 8.

I expect Lolesio to get first chance at 10, but won't be at all surprised if Keunzle replaces him early in the season.

Kata would have to be very fortunate to get a start before either of Wright or Muirhead.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like Les L-M a lot, and he has some experience at Super level, but I could also see Slipper moving to the THP bench spot with Harry Lloyd as backup to Sio. Anyone else think this is at least a remote possibility?

More likely see Sio rested Slipper starting and Llyod coming off the bench. It's not like Sio and Slipper dont get a couple of niggles most Super Seasons.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not anti-Samu or anything (I think he's an improvement on Isi Naisarani, there, I said it, sue me), but he's been really over-hyped compared to our other players. McCaffrey, Cusack, Valetini, and Brown are all absolute guns and I can totally see a world where Samu doesn't even make the bench with us. Samu's tries and long runs in the later half of the season have done a lot to make him seem like the best backrower we have, but, while that may be true, it's definitely not a sure thing.

Nah, on last years form Samu is easily the first backrower picked............

And just on his ball carrying - he led the Aus backrowers on tackle busts and metres gained per carry - ahead of Naisarani on both counts.

S

Show-n-go

I’d have both Samu and McCaffrey in my top3 Aus backrowers in 2019 on form. I think they are both so dynamic while still being able to perform their core roles. Chuck in Valetini for extra muscle and you go a long way to being one of the best and balanced backrows in super rugby

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Douglas, I think, will find himself at No 6 when a bigger pack is required. I expect Enever to start with Swain in the second row.

I do like that backrow. Hard man at No 6, all round skills at 7 including not bad at pilfering, and creative player at No 8.

I expect Lolesio to get first chance at 10, but won't be at all surprised if Keunzle replaces him early in the season.

Kata would have to be very fortunate to get a start before either of Wright or Muirhead.

I think Kata should really be looked at as a long-term solution in the 12 jersey, as he has X- factor that the other options don't have. Obviously he needs to do a lot of work on his skills before becoming a permanent starter but there were reasons why he was quite heavily touted in NZ as a youngster.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I actually think a pairing of Kata and Wright in the centres could be very dangerous eventually- not a bad problem for the Brumbies to have!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Based on their 2019 form I wouldn’t be switching Slipper over and I wouldn’t be leaving Samu out.

2018 I would have agreed Samu was overrated, but definitely not last year (or maybe I just wasn’t watching him closely enough in 2018). I was okay with him not being selected for the Wallabies because Hooper & Pocock were both justified selections in front of him, but at Super level he was very good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tucked in shirt......... socks pulled up...........

Just needs a decent haircut.

Anyways, as much as I rate McCaffrey (and I rate him very highly), I doubt he will be looked as a starter......... and that's fine because it's good to have strong impact players coming off the bench.

In the latter half of the year when the Brumbies were winning games, and after Valetini returned from injury, this was the first choice backrow that McKellar stuck with, with the exceptions being the Reds match when Cusack (who started every other game last year) and Samu were rested, and the semi final when Samu was injured:

6. Valetini
7. Cusack
8. Samu

18. McCaffrey
19. Brown

In the few rounds prior to to that, Cusack played at 6 with Brown at 7.......... granted, McCaffrey was injured for a few matches as well, but it was the above combinations that put in some very dominant performances against some more fancied opponents.

I think the only question mark will be at 7 depending on whether or not Cusack is still going to spend time with the Sevens squad, in which case Brown or Miller come into the team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm still not sold on Cusack as a No 7. Pilfering is not his strong point, and I like the No 7 to be a pest at ruck time with the chance of turning the ball over from the tackled player. To me, he looks like an undersized No 6. Personally, I'd have either of McCaffrey or Brown in the backrow in preference to Tom.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm still not sold on Cusack as a No 7. Pilfering is not his strong point, and I like the No 7 to be a pest at ruck time with the chance of turning the ball over from the tackled player. To me, he looks like an undersized No 6. Personally, I'd have either of McCaffrey or Brown in the backrow in preference to Tom.

Pilfering can't be anyone 7s strong suit any more, the rules have changed it from a core strength to just a quiver in their bow.

Samu seems to fit the modern criteria for a 7