• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, the years of Stephen Moore's mediocrity required it.

Great player. Mediocre captain. Having a good VC made all the difference.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't forget the claytons captain thing the Brumbies did with Carter and Fardy. One was appointed while the other led the team. ;)

Congrats to AAA. Not convided how long this will work practically. It may just end up naturally falling to one of the others who will be on the field for a longer duration. Potentially easier for the referee as well to keep the consistency in communication etc.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lolesio and Kuenzle getting the opportunity to compete for the 10 jersey in the Albury trial:
BK and Noah have been here a couple of years and know how we play, what's required of them, what the expectation is and how to direct us around.
We're confident with ......... those options, but ultimately one of them will get the gig and Thursday night will be important to see who steps up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like Les L-M a lot, and he has some experience at Super level, but I could also see Slipper moving to the THP bench spot with Harry Lloyd as backup to Sio. Anyone else think this is at least a remote possibility?

Looks like the Brumbies coaching staff have been reading my mail again.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Kata could be the point of difference for the Brumbies at 12 as more penetrative attacking player that could be handful to contain. Personally not convinced about Simone at 12. Sorry BR I know you are a fan of Irae.

Anyhow keen to see how Kata gets on...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In the washup from the trial match last night, I think Keunzle overshadowed Lolesio at No 10. Pasitoa didn't get much opportunity to show his wares.

I like how assured BK looks in the position. He seems to have the best vision and game management that goes with it. NL, otoh, looks more capable with ball in hand. Maybe 12 is his best spot.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed with BR, Kuenzle looked much more assured in the position and I hope he starts next Friday.

I don't know what they'll do with Kata. Very hard to fit all the talent in the backline. You have to think that McKellar will stick with his back three of Pulu, Muirhead, and Banks (he very clearly loves the idea of a winger who can also cover fullback). He's also likely to stick with Simone as his reserve (edit: why did I even type reserve?) 12. What will the bench look like? Wright-Kata? Lolesio-Kata? Lolesio-Wright? Hansen-Wright? Hansen-Kata?

The biggest shame is that Ikitau is clearly a generational 13 talent, but he'll only get a chance if Kuridrani is injured.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I imagine Simone will be the starting 12..........

I would also think Lolesio will start - looked good against the stronger Rebels team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed on Simone starting, I have no idea why I typed reserve, haha.

Could be either 10 honestly. Just pick one and let them have a decent crack at establishing a combination with Powell and getting a few games under their belt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can anyone confirm Kata's eligibility? Assume he is a foreign marquee player? Or is he a foreign development player, meaning we can pick him in 5 years time if he stays here (when he is 30!)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can anyone confirm Kata's eligibility? Assume he is a foreign marquee player? Or is he a foreign development player, meaning we can pick him in 5 years time if he stays here (when he is 30!)

Apparently would be eligible after the five year qualifying period Reg, but could be tempted in the meantime to play for Tonga.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)

I believe he would have to qualify through residency; however, I don't think the 5-year requirement (60 months) comes into effect until 31 December 2020 (and I believe it's grandfathered in) - so he'd only need the 3 years. Perhaps commencing from when he signed for the Storm in June 2019?

Edit - think I got that horribly wrong. Looks like it's not grandfathered in. 5 years it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe he would have to qualify through residency; however, I don't think the 5-year requirement (60 months) comes into effect until 31 December 2020 (and I believe it's grandfathered in) - so he'd only need the 3 years. Perhaps commencing from when he signed for the Storm in June 2019?

That's incorrect.

If you aren't qualified under the residency rule by 31 December 2020 then you are subject to the 5 year residency rule.

Effectively no one will qualify under the residency rule between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2022.

It means you had to have started your residency qualification on or before 31 December 2017 to qualify under the 3 year rule.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Wouldn't be marquee as he isn't capped in Union. But yeh..seems he just moved here so...foreign developing? No obvious sign he is Australian qualified

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's incorrect.

If you aren't qualified under the residency rule by 31 December 2020 then you are subject to the 5 year residency rule.

Effectively no one will qualify under the residency rule between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2022.

It means you had to have started your residency qualification on or before 31 December 2017 to qualify under the 3 year rule.

There might be a few who still can, players can still qualify if they've lived in a country for a cumulative total of 10 years. Which if you look at the number of young players who have gone over to New Zealand or Australia around the 13-15 age bracket, could see a few more qualify under that residency banner.

Off the top of my head i can't name anyone who this might apply to, i suspect it would be more relevant in the kiwi space.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
It's exciting that the Brums have lots of options in the backline. Based on performance, Kata (was everywhere) & Murihead (good lines) deserve a place in the 23 whilst Pulu & Wright have quiet games. I feel the later combo has more upside though longer term.

I'd go with Powell, BK, Wright, Simone, TK, Pulu, Banks with Lonergan, Noah and Murihead on the pine

Whilst I think the selection will be Powell, Noah, Kata, Simone, TK, Pulu, Banks + Lonergan, BK and Murihead

That's all discounting Mac Hansen too would have a solid game and fantastic NRC