• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sounds like Christian Lealiifano won't be here in 2020.

Time to look for another 10.

There's a few young guys on the books for next year aren't there Bayley Kuenzle, Noah Lolesio but it would be pretty bare if those 2 and the 17 year old are our best selections.

Maybe Andrew Deegan wants another crack at Super Rugby.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dan McKellar speaking on Lealiifano:
Christian the player, has been so important for us, his fearlessness, his direction, his leadership, particularly this year. He’s grown so much as a leader in my time here, but Christian the person is what makes him who he is.
You will not meet a more selfless person than Christian Lealiifano.
To go through what he went through, and to comeback and still find time to lead and care for those around him, to be there for his teammates, he’s an incredible person. He should be very proud of the legacy he leaves at the Brumbies.
Source: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/06/16/super-rugby-brumbies-lealiifano

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All the best Christian. A real hero to the Brumbies and fans.

Deegan would be a good get if he's available. From the local scene, would Mack Hanson be in with a show?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
In terms of future prospects, it's clear (to me at least) that the future rests with Pasitoa and Kuenzle. However, I agree that we need someone around to mentor them, though not necessarily as a player.

People suggesting that Giteau could be that person might be on to something, but I'd love to get Kafer in if possible.

S

Show-n-go

QC (Quade Cooper)?

Dunno about his contract but would be great to see him behind a dominant pack and would be a quality mentor/stop gap for Kuenzle who probably needs another year or two before super rugby and Pasitoa who is similarly 2-3 years off super at current trajectory

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We could field the following side on matchday one based on current contracts:
  1. James Slipper
  2. Folau Fainga'a
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Murray Douglas
  5. Darcy Swain
  6. Rob Valetini
  7. Jahrome Brown
  8. Lachlan McCaffrey
  9. Joe Powell
  10. Reesjan Pasitoa
  11. Toni Pulu
  12. Noah Lolesio
  13. Tevita Kuridrani
  14. Tom Wright
  15. Tom Banks
Reserves: Cornal McInerney, Scott Sio, Tom Ross, Nick Frost, Tom Cusack, Matt Lucas, Bayley Kuenzle, Len Ikitau

Still have every chance of retaining Fifita, Samu, Hyne, Simone, Muirhead, Peni, Taliauli, and Hansen, so more than half the recruitment we need to keep the momentum going is simply re-signing existing players. I'll be particularly thrilled if we retain Simone and Muirhead.

S

Show-n-go

We could field the following side on matchday one based on current contracts:
  1. James Slipper
  2. Folau Fainga'a
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Murray Douglas
  5. Darcy Swain
  6. Rob Valetini
  7. Jahrome Brown
  8. Lachlan McCaffrey
  9. Joe Powell
  10. Reesjan Pasitoa
  11. Toni Pulu
  12. Noah Lolesio
  13. Tevita Kuridrani
  14. Tom Wright
  15. Tom Banks
Reserves: Cornal McInerney, Scott Sio, Tom Ross, Nick Frost, Tom Cusack, Matt Lucas, Bayley Kuenzle, Len Ikitau

Still have every chance of retaining Fifita, Samu, Hyne, Simone, Muirhead, Peni, Taliauli, and Hansen, so more than half the recruitment we need to keep the momentum going is simply re-signing existing players. I'll be particularly thrilled if we retain Simone and Muirhead.

Am I right in saying that bar Kuridrani that’s a really small backline?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Am I right in saying that bar Kuridrani that’s a really small backline?

Couldn't find Pasitoa numbers, but here's the backline with Kuenzle starting:
Powell: 83kg, 177cm
Kuenzle: 92kg, 186cm
Pulu: 93kg, 184cm
Lolesio: 89kg, 180cm
Kuridrani: 102kg, 192cm
Wright: 98kg, 186cm
Banks: 93kg, 186cm

Also, Brumbies website has some......... interesting stats for Kuridrani. Really overperforming by these numbers, I'd say:
Kuri...what.PNG

S

Show-n-go

Don’t have the data for other teams but that does seem fairly small, only one person cracking 100kg, very surprised by Tevitas weight, thought he was heavier

In saying that though it’s not hugely dissimilar from the size of the team this year and it seemed to work alright for them

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
What can you say about Lealiifano? The guy is a leader to everyone at the team. It's so clear that everyone who knows him is inspired to be better just by being near the man. You can never say enough to celebrate Lealiifano's comeback: the 2017 friendly against the Asia-Pacific Dragons was not the first I had watched, but it was the first I really celebrated.

Plenty of time to celebrate him later, hopefully with a trophy. Now let's just win the damn thing and enjoy seeing a remarkable player in the form of his life.

I thought CLL has been in pretty good form this year too, and I hadn't thought that for a while. Good to see and a great story. Where is he off to?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Don’t have the data for other teams but that does seem fairly small, only one person cracking 100kg, very surprised by Tevitas weight, thought he was heavier

In saying that though it’s not hugely dissimilar from the size of the team this year and it seemed to work alright for them
Im surprised at Tom Wright, that guy while not small doesn't seem that big.