• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

brumbies v canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
HT and Brumbies lead 7-0. Holmes playing well. He's made a number of runs even fending off Canes loose forwards. He seems to have a decent step but not great pace.

Ty Smith and young Taumoepea have put in some bone crunching tackles.

Hoiles has made a few runs and has looked likely. Brumbies scrum seemed to struggle a little and uunder pressure.

Canes back 3 are combining well and Guildford has put in a few try saving tackles. David Smith has split the defence apart a few times but just couldn't finish off his runs.

Kawau is very eager. Canes LO a bit scratchy with Coles throwing long a couple of time.

2nd half about to start and the canes have brought on a few of their ABs.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nonu makes an immediate impact, splitting the defence, taking the ball into contact drawing 2 and then offloading to Corey Jane for the try.

7-7

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big scrum 10m out by Brumbies and ball is cleared well. Ty smith crashes it up and recycled quickly and Benn Alexander crashes over for a good try.

To'omua knocks over conv and Brumbies lead 14-7

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Canes get great ball OTT of the LO and drive the ball 35m through backs and forwards. 10m out and a grubber kick (dumb). Brumbies ground ingoal and 22 drop out.

Canes doing most of the attacking over the past 6-7mins. Perched down on Brumbies line.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Drinks break

This Shawn MacKay kid is a big unit and seems to be getting around the park well for the Brumbies.

Just heard Holmes may have hurt his knee, but it may not be serious. He didn't return after HT.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Crowd erupts as Rattlebones makes a break through traffic, then gets crunched in a tackle.....he's up though.

Still 14 all with 15 mins to go

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just took literally 3mins to do a scrum. One fan was giving it to the ref.

Brumbies have TO'ed the ball far to much.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nonu throws a huge cut out pass that puts all sorts of pressure on Ellison and Brumbies scoop it up and through Salvi and Phibbs Brumbies score.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Canes TO ball and are exposed out wide with Brumbies backs on Canes fatties and Taumoepeau is over for the try

Brumbies up 28-14.

Edit. Brumbies win

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
They just interviewed Holmes and he said it was just a knock and he's right to go.

Scratchy game, as always is the case but I think Taumopeau could be a useful midfield reserve this year.

S

Spook

Thanks ACTC. Felt like I was there!

Some interesting observations, Josh Holmes is meant to be extremely quick. Shawn Mackay is a light weight - 196cm and only 104kg.

I assume this game wasn't televised..

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Spook said:
Thanks ACTC. Felt like I was there!

Some interesting observations, Josh Holmes is meant to be extremely quick. Shawn Mackay is a light weight - 196cm and only 104kg.

I assume this game wasn't televised..

No television coverage although there maybe some footage shown in highlights given there was footage on the big screen.

I thought Holmes was quick as well, byt he made a couple of good breaks, but he was chased down by wingers that came fro a fair way away. So I guess he may be quick in comparison to other HBs.

I may have got Mackay mixed up given the jerseys and players weren't all correct as per the program. The other starting lock was Chisholm but I know what he looks like. It may have been someone else.

Ma'afu looks a good player, and Timani in the 2nd half was pretty good as well.

S

Spook

Thanks ACTC. Did the unknown lock start the match?

Did Josh Holmes tackle and pass well?

S

Spook

I think ACTC knows what Kimlin looks like. I suspect it was Ben Hand.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah I think it was Hand. kimlin started on the blind and was pretty active.

The Brumbies will surprise a few teams this year. Leilafano seems fairly composed for a young un. His experience last year would have been a massive learning curve and step up from age grade footy.

There's plenty of mongrel in the forwards and with the addition of Moore that will only boost the guys in the pack.

There should be good competition in the backs, but I would start,

Holmes
Leilafano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Smith
Mortlock
Rathbone
Gerrard

Then you've got to pick from Fainifo, To'omua, Betham, Mafi, Fairbanks

Status
Not open for further replies.