• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Crusaders Rd 18 Sat 13 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This has the potential to be one of the games of the round. Brumbies trying to finish as high as possible on the ladder, and the Crusaders saying goodbye to a couple of their long serving champion players. Expect lots of passion and emotion to come into play.

Unfortunately, for me, I can't see the Brumbies winning with a bonus point to challenge the Tahs for the No 2 spot. (I do expect the Tahs to have little trouble earning a bonus point win against the Reds.) But making the finals again is a good result in itself, and I'm not sure if a visit to Newlands will be as tough as the other matches that might face them if they finish elsewhere. However, the Brumbies have been winning their latest matches and its a good sign to be going into the finals with a bit of a winning streak behind them. Just don't want the Crusaders to spoil the party.

If they happen to finish 6th and then beat the Stormers, it will be interesting to see what their travel arrangements will be for the remainder of the finals series, for as long as they survive. I'd think they might return direct to Sydney to prepare for the semi against the Tahs, and in the event they are successful, to then travel direct to Wellington to prepare for the final.

Of course, if the boot is on the other foot after this weekend, then the travel itinerary for the Tahs would be something similar.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Imagine you swapped the time slots for this match and the tahs v reds game. That would mean by kick off you would know whether the brumbies had any chance to change their position on the ladder.

As it stands though they'll have no idea which may improve their chance of a bonus point victory. While I won't hold my breath on that possibility it would be great if the Brums stopped the cru scoring four tries and it would mean a whole season when they didn't allow that to happen. While this hasn't been the best season that would be a pretty impressive achievement.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a shame about Super Rugby's timezones. Almost every other rugby comp in the world plays the last rounds fixtures at the same time and it's great that throughout the games you don't know what's going to happen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm sure a few won't believe me, including a couple of Brumbies' supporters, but I hope the Brumbies get the bonus point and smack the Crusaders, but that the Tahs do too. Always happy to see the Crusaders get pumped. What happens after that happens, but I'd rather see 2 Aussie teams going hard in the finals than 1. Prefer the Brumbies finishing second than the Stormers if the Tahs can't.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm sure a few won't believe me, including a couple of Brumbies' supporters, but I hope the Brumbies get the bonus point and smack the Crusaders, but that the Tahs do too. Always happy to see the Crusaders get pumped. What happens after that happens, but I'd rather see 2 Aussie teams going hard in the finals than 1. Prefer the Brumbies finishing second than the Stormers if the Tahs can't.

I believe it's how i feel I may hate the tahs with a passion but would rather one of us finish second then saffa's ..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I expect it to be fairly even contest in the forwards, but the outside backs will need to keep both Nadolo and Fruen in check if they are to get the win. Nadolo has been in terrific form, not just with his running but with his off loads to set up support runners. Fruen does much the same but not with quite the same effect.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It will be interesting to see how the backs play with To'omua back...........

Although Lilo has been praised for his form at 10, the backline has looked disjointed and that could be partly from having Coleman at 12..........

But I think To'omua is the better organiser than Lilo, and their roles at 10/12 are interchangeable anyways.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
If they happen to finish 6th and then beat the Stormers, it will be interesting to see what their travel arrangements will be for the remainder of the finals series, for as long as they survive. I'd think they might return direct to Sydney to prepare for the semi against the Tahs, and in the event they are successful, to then travel direct to Wellington to prepare for the final.

If the Brumbies were to beat the Stormers, wouldn't they play the Canes in the semi (as the Brumbies would be the lowest placed qualifier), with the Tahs playing the winner of the Highlanders v Chiefs?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies side

1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rory Arnold
5. Blake Enever
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Ita Vaea
9. Nic White
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Joe Tomane
12. Robbie Coleman
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg
Replacements16. Josh Mann-Rea
17. Allan Ala'alatoa
18. Ruan Smith
19. Jordan Smiler
20. Jarrad Butler
21. Michael Dowsett
22. Matt To'omua
23. James Dargaville

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Crusaders

1 Wyatt Crockett
2 Codie Taylor
3 Owen Franks
4 Luke Romano
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Matt Todd
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieran Read (c)
9 Andy Ellis
10 Dan Carter
11 Nemani Nadolo
12 David Havili
13 Ryan Crotty
14 Jone Macilai
15 Tom Taylor

16 Ben Funnell
17 Alex Hodgman
18 Nepo Laulala
19 Jimmy Tupou
20 Jordan Taufua
21 Billy Guyton
22 Colin Slade
23 Nafi Tuitavake

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If the Chiefs don't do the Hurricanes, we're most likely going to finish 5th, not 6th.

Which would mean a game against probably the Highlanders, a much more favourable option than going to Mordor, as we wont have the massive timezone and travel factor to hold us back this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If the Chiefs don't do the Hurricanes, we're most likely going to finish 5th, not 6th.

Which would mean a game against probably the Highlanders, a much more favourable option than going to Mordor, as we wont have the massive timezone and travel factor to hold us back this year.

We would have to at least earn a draw against the Cru to overtake the Chiefs if they lose without a bonus point. Unfortunately, I can see the Crusaders getting on top with their full complement of ABs back in and giving both Carter and McCaw a fitting send off.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Always look forward to this match... brumbies need a win to put a little pressure on the Tahs match... Reds will love an upset to finish a foregettable season...

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Interesting that the Brums are the best defensive team this season and the cru are the second best offensive team, especially considering their positions on the ladder.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sportsbet currently have Brumbies $1.64-$2.30 Crusaders & Chiefs $1.50-$2.65 Hurricanes. Given what's just transpired at Eden Park, if I were a Brums supporter I'd be more than a little nervous right now..........

EDIT: that was meant to be a reply to @Brumbieman's post i.e. my wife's fortune-telling cousin sees a long journey in the Brumbies immediate future..........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While the Whitelock Coefficient is rather low (only 1.01) for the CruSadists, the Team listed is still chock full of talent and they will be coming into this match with a lot to prove, even though they have missed out on the finals.

Ponies will need to bring their A game and not make any mistakes particularly at set piece if they are to have any chance of winning.

This could be an absolute showpiece game of rugby, or a dour and scruffy mistake ridden bore-a-thon. Hopefully the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.