• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Fiji Drua Trial Match 3 February.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vikings Park is set to launch the Safeguard Global ACT Brumbies 2024 Super Rugby Pacific and Super W campaigns with both squads featuring in a double header on Saturday, February 3.

The Super W squad will kick off the day when they face Hong Kong China Women at 4:00PM AEDT.

Led by Head Coach Scott Fava, the fixture will provide an opportunity for Brumbies fans to engage with Wallaroos representatives Tania Naden, Tabua Tuinakauvadra, Jay Huriwai, Faitala Moleka and Siokapesi Palu.

The evening will end with the Super Rugby Pacific trial between the Brumbies and Suva based, Fijian Drua. The match is a great opportunity for both sides to tinker their squads before the official season is underway in late February.

Broadcast and streaming details for the trial games are expected to be confirmed soon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In the men's game, I think it's likely those players who participated in the RWC will miss the first trial, (probably true for all teams). That would see Slipper, Frost, Hooper and Valetini sitting out this game along with Allan Ala'alatoa who is still recovering from injury. Blake Schoupp was at the WC but hardly got game time so will probably suit up in Slipper's place.

That being the case, I'd expect the team to look something like:

Schoupp, Lonergan, Kautai
Swain, Neville
Kennedy (6), Cale (8), Brown (7) (c)

Lonergan, Lolesio
Muirhead (11), Sapsford (12), Ikitau (13), Toole (14)
Wright

Reserves : Pollard, Kaihea, Van Nek, Lachlan Shaw*, Scott, Reimer, Harrison Goddard*, Debreczini, Declan Meredith*, Tua, Austin Anderson*, O'Donnell, McInerney, Klayton Thorn*, Creighton.

* Brumbies debut (not sure if Meredith might have played a trial last year),

Wilson

David Codey (61)
In the men's game, I think it's likely those players who participated in the RWC will miss the first trial, (probably true for all teams). That would see Slipper, Frost, Hooper and Valetini sitting out this game along with Allan Ala'alatoa who is still recovering from injury. Blake Schoupp was at the WC but hardly got game time so will probably suit up in Slipper's place.
I won't be too surprised if they rest some Wallabies, Slipper in particular, but it's worth noting the Reds have listed players from the World cup squad in their players to watch for this weekends trial, so I assume there's no requirement to rest them this time around. It has been a much longer break between seasons then usual, so it makes sense to handle things differently.

Any chance they take a look at some of the u19s from last year? I'd love to know how a few of them are tracking compared to the pros, Staniforth in particular.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I won't be too surprised if they rest some Wallabies, Slipper in particular, but it's worth noting the Reds have listed players from the World cup squad in their players to watch for this weekends trial, so I assume there's no requirement to rest them this time around. It has been a much longer break between seasons then usual, so it makes sense to handle things differently.

Any chance they take a look at some of the u19s from last year? I'd love to know how a few of them are tracking compared to the pros, Staniforth in particular.
I really don't know Wilson. But Staniforth looks to be a good one for the future. I'd also like to see Tevita Alatini (No 3) get a run in due course. What he did to the Tahs scrum in the u19s final was outstanding.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I really don't know Wilson. But Staniforth looks to be a good one for the future. I'd also like to see Tevita Alatini (No 3) get a run in due course. What he did to the Tahs scrum in the u19s final was outstanding.
Yeah, he was another stand out for me but I figured as a prop he might be another 1 or 2 years off. Might be worth a look with Ala'alatoa out injured for the start of the season though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, he was another stand out for me but I figured as a prop he might be another 1 or 2 years off. Might be worth a look with Ala'alatoa out injured for the start of the season though.
Definitely a couple of years or more from Super, I think. In the meantime, Brumbies are pretty well served with Sefo Kautai and Rhys Van Nek while Allan is recovering.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Other one who might get a chance to at least train with the seniors from the 19s is Nelson the 9. I really think it's splitting hairs between him and Thorn. Both were involved with the 20s last year and Nelson should get the start for the Junior Wallabies this year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Super Rugby Womens v Hong Kong China Rugby Viking Park, Wanniassa Saturday 3 February, 4:00PM AEDT

Starting XV

1. Sally Fuesaina, Sydney
  2. Tania Naden (C), Uni-Norths Owls
  3. Iris Verebalavu, Uni-Norths Owls
  4. Lily Bone, Queanbeyan Whites
  5. Ash Fernandez, Canberra Royals
  6. Tabua Tuinakauvadra (VC), Tuggeranong Viqueens
  7. Katalina Amosa, Gungahlin Eagles
  8. Lydia Kavoa, Uni-Norths Owls
  9. Jay Huriwai (VC), Queanbeyan Whites
  10. Faitala Moleka, Sydney
  11. Chioma Enyi, Western Districts
  12. Kayla Sauvao, Sydney
  13. Harmony Ioane, Queanbeyan Whites
  14. Anastasia Martin, Canberra Royals
  15. Ashlea Bishop, Canberra Royals
Reserves
Allana Sikimeti, Tuggeranong Viqueens
Erika Maslen, Tuggeranong Viqueens
Benita Ese Sale, Sydney
Kyah Little, Newcastle
Biola Dawa, Canberra Royals
Jaimie Studdy, Sydney
Jess Grant, Unit-Norths Owls
Madeleine Gogala, Uni-Norths Owls
Charlie Brigstocke, Uni-Norths Owls
Becka Marsters, Western Districts
Martha Fua, Tuggeranong Viqueens
Gabrielle Petersen, Tuggeranong
Viqueens Hannah Stewart, Newcastle
Joanne Butler, PNG

---

Super Rugby Pacific v Fijian Drua Viking Park, Wanniassa Saturday 3 February, 6:00PM AEDT

Starting XV

1. Fred Kaihea, Queanbeyan Whites
  2. Billy Pollard, Uni-North Owls
  3. Rhys van Nek, Uni-Norths Owls
  4. Lachlan Shaw, Gungahlin Eagles
  5. Cadeyrn Neville, Uni-Norths Owls
  6. Ed Kennedy, Canberra Royals
  7. Luke Reimer, Western Districts
  8. Charlie Cale, Uni-Norths Owls
  9. Harrison Goddard, Queanbeyan Whites
  10. Declan Meredith, Western Districts
  11. Matias Jensen, Uni-Norths Owls
  12. Austin Anderson, Western Districts
  13. Hudson Creighton, Queanbeyan Whites
  14. Corey Toole, Gungahlin Eagles
  15. Shane Wilcox, Tuggeranong Vikings
Reserves
Harry Vella, Canberra Royals
Blake Schoupp, Gungahlin Eagles
Lachlan Lonergan, Tuggeranong Vikings
Liam Bowron, Canberra Royals
Sefo Kautai, Canberra Royals
Tevita Alatini, Gungahlin Eagles
Will Sankey, Uni-Norths Owls
Tom Hooper, Tuggeranong Vikings
Lachlan Hooper, Tuggeranong Vikings
Rory Scott, Canberra Royals
Jahrome Brown, Gungahlin Eagles
Klayton Thorn, Gungahlin Eagles
Dan Nelson, Canberra Royals
Cullen Gray, Gungahlin Eagles
Angus Staniforth, Canberra Royals
Ollie Sapsford, Uni-Norths Owls
Len Ikitau, Tuggeranong Vikings
Andy Muirhead, Canberra Royals

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Looks like Slipper, Frost, Valetini and Wright are being rested.

Otherwise, it is mainly a team of development players with most of the experienced players coming off the bench. A few from last year's U19s and U20s included - Wilcox (exciting No 15), Bowron (hooker), Alatini (most exciting No 3), Nelson (No 9), Gray (No 10) and Staniforth (very quick wing or No 15). Jensen, Thorn and Lachlan Hooper also appeared for the Junior Wallabies last year.

Don't know who the Captain is, but maybe Cadeyrn Neville?

Looking forward to seeing many of the younger or newer players have a shot, especially Cale, Meredith, Shaw, Anderson, Alatini, Gray, Staniforth and Wilcox.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
OLthers missing from the likely Super starting XX111 are Allan Ala'alatoa (injury recovery), Darcy Swain, Ryan Lonergan, Noah Lolesio, Jack Debreczini and Tamati Tua. Haven't heard of any injuries among this lot, except for AA, but probably likely some niggles.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pity the action here doesn't match the action on the ground today. Plenty of attacking play from both sides with a final score of 43 - 40 to the Brumbies.

The Drua will cause teams in Super a whole lot of headaches this year with exciting runners all over the park. They had the better of the first half in very difficult conditions, high heat and humidity. Brumbies ran out a very inexperienced side in the first half with only Cadeyrn Neville and Corey Toole regular game day XX111 players. Nevertheless, a few of the new players really showed promise, especially Shaw at Lock, Cale at No 8, and Meredith at 10. Score at halftime was 28 - 24 to the Drua with four tries each.

The Brumbies started the second half, surprisingly, with almost the same inexperienced side that had played a full first half. But changes were made progressively during the half and it showed in a stronger all round performance. The backline defence tightened up with Ollie Sapsford and Len Ikitau joining. The forwards pack started to dominate with Schoupp, Lonergan and Kautai in the front row. The rolling maul came into its own, used by both sides to good effect. One such maul by the Brumbies started on the 22m line and ended about a couple of metres from the tryline when the ball went to an unmarked Angus Staniforth to run over for the try. About the Hooper Bros, I don't think Tom got on the ground at all, but Lachlan played most of the second half and acquitted himself very well. Jahrome Brown was another to show out in the second half.

Overall, the Brumbies showed a lot of depth in the roster this year. With something like nine or ten of their starting players still to play, they have a lot of room for improvement over today's performance.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The Brumbies started the second half, surprisingly, with almost the same inexperienced side that had played a full first half. But changes were made progressively during the half and it showed in a stronger all round performance. The backline defence tightened up with Ollie Sapsford and Len Ikitau joining.
How are players like Len looking post injury?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Len only had about half the second half on the field, but had a couple of good runs, including to score the last try. As a unit, he and Ollie Sapsford at 12 provided a lot of go forward in the midfield as well as strengthening the midfield defence. But that would be expected after the starting side had debut players at 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15. The defensive structures in the first half were way below standard.

Of the senior players, Jahrome Brown had a particularly strong game while Andrew Muirhead performed well at fullback in the second half. Cadeyrn Neville showed good form in the inexperienced side in the first half, and Fred Kaihea and Ryhs Van Nek were both very noticeable in open play.

Best of the newcomers were Declan Meredith at 10 (played almost the whole game), Charlie Cale at 8, Angus Staniforth at wing, and I think a real winner in Klayton Thorn at half back.

It was very hard to see the try scorers when most of the tries were scored at the far end of the ground, but I think they were, Wilcox, Pollard, Toole, Lonergan, Thorn, Staniforth and Ikitau. Seven tries to six by the Drua made for an entertaining game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
About the Hooper Bros, I don't think Tom got on the ground at all, but Lachlan played most of the second half and acquitted himself very well. Jahrome Brown was another to show out in the second half.

Both Hooper brothers were on the field together in the second half...

Tom had the gold and blue headgear playing at lock... took the lineout prior to a couple of tries.

Very good footwork by Cale to set up the Jensen try in the first half... potential for like replacement for Samu.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Both Hooper brothers were on the field together in the second half...

Tom had the gold and blue headgear playing at lock... took the lineout prior to a couple of tries.

Very good footwork by Cale to set up the Jensen try in the first half... potential for like replacement for Samu.
Yep, watched the replay and noticed Tom out there. Live at the game, I thought it was Lachlan Shaw back on the ground. With the hammy injury to Neville, I think Tom can look forward to a bit more time back in the second row.

Charlie Cale looks to be someone out of the box, but has to make it into a congested starting backrow somewhere. Rob V has the 8 spot tied up and Jahrome Brown was very impressive there on the weekend too. I think a backrow of Cale (6), Brown (7) and Valetini (8) would serve the Brumbies well if Tom Hooper moves to the second row.

Watching the replay also highlighted for me an impressive performance by Harry Vella at LHP that I had missed at the game. There's a lot to like about the group of youngsters now coming through the Brumbies' system.