• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend has maintained his all-Wallaby centre pairing of Stirling Mortlock and Adam Ashley-Cooper for his side?s opening 2009 Investec Super 14 fixture against the Highlanders in Dunedin on Friday, 13 February.

Mortlock and Ashley-Cooper are two of 11 players in the CA Brumbies line-up with Test experience.

Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore and lock Ben Hand will each make their first appearance in the CA Brumbies? starting line-up while fellow new recruit Sitaleki Timani will also play his first Investec Super 14 match for the ACT-based province off the bench.

Moore joins CA Brumbies stalwarts Nic Henderson and Guy Shepherdson in the front row while Hand will partner Wallaby lock Mark Chisholm in the second row.

Julian Salvi has been awarded the ?6? jersey for the Investec Super 14?s opening fixture alongside George Smith and No.8 Stephen Hoiles, who will captain lead the CA Brumbies for the first time in the Investec Super 14.

After two strong trial performances, Patrick Phibbs will start at scrumhalf with Christian Lealiifano assuming the key playmaker?s role. Fullback Mark Gerrard, and wingers Francis Fainifo and Clyde Rathbone will make up the CA Brumbies? back three.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend said his side is aware of the need to start the season on a winning note.

?In such a short competition you must start well,? he said. ?Historically ?the House of Pain? has been a tough venue for visiting teams and we realise that if we?re not 100% focused on the task at hand we?ll be in for a very long night.

?We were forced to delay naming the side with one or two guys recovering from knocks sustained against the Waratahs, however, they have all pulled through the beginning of the week without any problem and are ready to take the field on Friday night.

?There has been a great attitude and enthusiasm within the squad this week and we?re all very excited that game time is almost here.?

The CA Brumbies bench features 2008 Wallaby Spring Tour representatives Ben Alexander and Peter Kimlin, Australia A representatives John Ulugia and Joshua Holmes, and 2008 Investec Super 14 Rookie of the Year, Tyrone Smith.

CA Brumbies v Highlanders
Carisbrook, Dunedin (NZ)
Friday, 13 February 2009
Kick-off: 7.35pm local time (5.35pm AEDST)

1. Nic Henderson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Guy Shepherson
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Julian Salvi
7. George Smith
8. Stephen Hoiles (c)
9. Patrick Phibbs
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Francis Fainifo
12. Stirling Mortlock
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Clyde Rathbone
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. John Ulugia
17. Ben Alexander
18. Sitaleki Timani
19. Peter Kimlin
20. Joshua Holmes
21. Tyrone Smith
22. Matt To'omua

shees Kimlin and Alexander on the bench. Henderson at loosehead! A lightweight backrow.

R

rugbywhisperer

That is still a freekin good side and a great bench

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, agree, some of those selections make no sense to me. Lack of Alexander, Timani, Kimlin, T. Smith...geez, I hope Hand has really improved in his time in Italy. Phibbs and Holmes must've been a close call too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The highlanders have a seriously big front row

Johnny Leota has been bracketed at centre with another newcomer in Jayden Hayward.

Starting team: 1. Jamie Mackintosh 2. David Hall 3. Clint Newland 4. Josh Bekhuis 5. Hayden Triggs 6. Adam Thomson 7. Alando Soakai 8. Steven Setephano 9. Jimmy Cowan (captain) 10. Daniel Bowden 11. Fetu'u Vainikolo 12. Johnny Leota/Jayden Hayward 13. Jason Shoemark 14. Ben Smith 15. Israel Dagg

Reserves: 16. Jason Rutledge 17. Chris King 18. George Naoupu 19. Tim Boys 20. Sean Romans 21. Jayden Hayward/Brett Mather 22. Kenny Lynn

The Highlanders play the Brumbies on Friday at 7.35pm

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
1 - 6, 9 and 11 aren't bad for the Highlanders. Shame about the rest of the team (in my opinion). Really looking forward to seeing how Bekhuis goes.

I think the Brumbies scrum, even with Stephen Moore, will get beaten by the Highlanders. I mean...as Naza said...Henderson?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ash said:
1 - 6, 9 and 11 aren't bad for the Highlanders. Shame about the rest of the team (in my opinion). Really looking forward to seeing how Bekhuis goes.

I think the Brumbies scrum, even with Stephen Moore, will get beaten by the Highlanders. I mean...as Naza said...Henderson?

Israel Dagg is very good, the Brumbies better kick well

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting team. It's early days; I see it as playing the most experienced guys first up.

The Tahs scrum had the edge on the Brumbies scrum in the trial whomever from both sides were in the tight 5; so you can't say that not starting Alexander is a mistake. Bring him on when some of the big Highlanders boofheads are tired.

I'm pleased that Salvi is at 6. This bloke plays his heart out and doesn't leave any petrol in the tank. Eventually Kimlin and Timani may supersede him, but with Hoiles having to start as captain and Smith the best player in the country, they are all going for the same spot - 6.

There would be a case for Kimlin to start ahead of the gentle Hand but Kimlin has a niggle according to Friend on the radio yesterday.

Phibbs deserves his starting spot if his trial effort against the Tahs is any form guide and by playing Rathbone, the other backline positions fall into place. As for Holmes: don't be surprised if he comes on if a winger is hurt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stays at 13.

I think the Brumbies will win this one if their scrummaging improves and Cowan doesn't have a blinder.

Their bench could win it for them.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brumbies-I would have started 17-21. Ty Smith really adds something at 2nd 5 which could really trouble the landers. Not sure why there has been so much hype around Salvi other than some handy performances at club level.

Landers - pack looks good. Don't underestimate Soakai who I rate quite highly. Both him and Thompson are very mobile and have big motors, so the Ponies loosies won't have it all their way despite having 2 wallabies. Shoemark and Dagg form a very good combo, but there are huge question marks around 10 and 12 at this level. Hoiles and others would do well to attack that corridor all night long.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
ACT Crusader said:
Not sure why there has been so much hype around Salvi other than some handy performances at club level.

Hype is perhaps the wrong word but it's the one we use when others praise the abilities of a player and we can't see them.

Salvi is praised by a few, not for being an elite backrower, but for playing to the utmost of his ability for as long as he is on the park. It's an attribute that I find priceless.

I remember his coming off the bench in the game against the Tahs last year and making a difference, and at other times looking more effective than Hoiles if they were both on the park at the same time or if he had replaced him.

The players that irk me are those that have great skills and wonderful attributes for our game but they won't have a dig, or don't have a dig for long enough in a game. They switch off, or are slow to get off the ground, or watch what is happening rather than making a difference; they wait for their chance rather than doing things that may, or more often not, give chances for others. Yarda, yarda.

We need not worry about Salvi in regard to these matters, nor Phil Waugh, who is a similar situation on the national level.

As I said: most likely Kimlin and/or Timani will replace Salvi as they have better skills and more impressive physical dimensions, which in combination with the matters mentioned above, will make them more valuable players than Salvi is.

Meantime Salvi is starting against the Clan.

S

Spook

Ahh Lee, don't tell me Hand is another Campbell. ???

Alexander and Kimlin were under injury clouds and were doubtful to play. At least I hope that's why they aren't selected in the run on. I have a fear that Salvi is playing to cover for Holies. :-[

In fairness to Phibbs, his form warrants selection and he will be a good match for Cowan.

I'm not sure if the combo of Alexander, Moore and Sheperdson or Henderson, Moore, and Sheperdson have been trialled yet. I'm pretty sure it hasn't. Henderson was tight head against the Tahs and Jerry Y, Ulugia and Shep were the other props.

It's an interesting situation - other than Ulugia, all of the bench could arguably be in the starting side with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing, Morty to 13. Lealiifano has played well though in the trials. Made a few busts against both the Tahs and Canes.

S

Spook

naza said:
Can confirm that Spook - Hand is a big pussycat.

All I can hope is Timani goes nuts off the bench :'(

Friend says "'The decision to leave Benny Alexander and Pete Kimlin on the bench had a lot to do with the fact they both only returned to training after Christmas due to their Wallabies duties whereas the other guys fighting for those positions had been here for eight weeks prior, had impressed and proved to me they deserved their chance.''

interesting stuff - maybe they came in with egos.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
naza said:
Can confirm that Spook - Hand is a big pussycat.

Yeah it was a funny buy, release Al Campbell and buy Ben Hand. Apart from youth he is basically a shorter Al.

F

formeropenside

This should be an interesting game - the team without a forward pack against the team without a backline. Thats an overstatement of course, but it has a kernel of truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.