• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Hurricanes, Super Rugby Wk 17, 2018 Sat 30 June 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Louwrens has gone off shore, maybe Japan I think. A pity. He was the better player (than Ruru) when fit for the Force.

On this year's performances. I would take Joe Powell over Ruru any day of the week.

Even taking into consideration the intercept by TJ and the one towards the end of the game that landed somewhere between the winger and the fullback?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, KOB. That try by TJP was simply phenomenal, but a factor surely was the distance between Powell and the intended receiver. That's not a mark against the No 9 because he was where he had to be. Most sides these days take a short pass to a runner when coming off a lineout near their own line. I put it down to the side not having their brains switched on at what was a set piece in the very early time of the game. How many other tries were scored by the Canes in the whole game? One.

That last pass was a shocker, but show me a No 9 who doesn't have at least one shocking pass in a game, and I'll show you a couple who have very many more.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Annoying as he is constantly whining on the field that first try was more to do with Perenara’s smarts and athleticism than a howling mistake by Powell.

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
Evans & JSav warned but not cited for incidents involving Naisarani on Saturday night:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...eth-evans-escape-citings-but-receive-warnings

I was asleep by half time & havent (& probably won't) seen a replay so I have no idea whether either or both were card-worthy but as I understand it a post-match warning counts as a Yellow on the player's record.
Both incidents where on David Pocock not Naisaran. I really don't know how anyone could make that error. Maybe it said Brumbies 8 and they assumed that must be Pocock.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Both incidents where on David Pocock not Naisaran. I really don't know how anyone could make that error. Maybe it said Brumbies 8 and they assumed that must be Pocock.
Poor old Poey gets targeted pretty hard huh. Credit to him that he's still such a beast.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yeah, that’s some pretty lazy journalism.........

Not sure how the officials on the ground missed Savea’s WWE body slam on Pocock:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, that’s some pretty lazy journalism...

Not sure how the officials on the ground missed Savea’s WWE body slam on Pocock:

You're probably a bit more pedantic about the journalism than the rest of us and that's fair enough, if they get paid for it they should get it right. But I'm more concerned about the laziness of the citing officer than the journalism after seeing that bottom clip, on both counts.

Reactions: TSR

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
The push from Lousy isn't a big deal IMO, the fact Gill spent like 4 weeks on the sideline for the same thing against against Nick White some years back is what shits me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, let's not get too excited about the Lousi one. It is open handed and barely a slap.

Pocock's reaction makes it look like he might have been staying up watching FIFA World Cup games.

Lousi Pocock.jpg
Pocock Lousi 2.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I've just seen the replays as well as the selected clips above on the Pocock neckroll.

How the Citing Commissioners justify the selective application of the Laws is beyond me. They certainly do nothing to address the perception that NZ players are getting a free ride. We have seen far too many examples this year of NZ players not getting cited while other players get sent for far more debatable offences such as Folau's incident. Hansen can whinge as much as he wants about being labelled cheats, but the fact that these decisions are being made so often is lending credence to that position and bringing the judicial process in further disrepute.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I've just seen the replays as well as the selected clips above on the Pocock neckroll.

How the Citing Commissioners justify the selective application of the Laws is beyond me. They certainly do nothing to address the perception that NZ players are getting a free ride. We have seen far too many examples this year of NZ players not getting cited while other players get sent for far more debatable offences such as Folau's incident. Hansen can whinge as much as he wants about being labelled cheats, but the fact that these decisions are being made so often is lending credence to that position and bringing the judicial process in further disrepute.
As if they have ever or will ever care about this.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Or perhaps the citing commissioners actually see all the angles. I not saying that the case, but I suspect they see a lot more than we do, I actually was watching John Kirwan showing how they actually watch etc these things when explaining why Fall (the French 15) shouldn't have been red carded. In that case they went through the whole thing, a bit at a time looking where everyone was coming from, and what they were looking at etc, pausing it time and time again to see where everything is, really was most interesting, and assume they do it in all cases. I actually thought when I saw the Pocock one he actually dragged him down by the shoulder, but I haven't watched it that much anyway so probably wrong. I just thought he would of been YCed for being off feet when he did it, but didn't think he had his arm around neck which is what is required for neck roll.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Evans should have got a yellow card for the neck roll on the field but that should have been it. It isn't a red card offence.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dan,

It was certainly around the neck, and just saying that you haven't watched it much in no way adds any doubt to the matter. He was neck rolled.

BH,

I accept your wisdom that a neck roll is only a YC and that might be why the citing commissioner took no action other than to issue a warning. But, in this instance, there were other aspects that worsened the incident. In the process of the neck roll, Poey was lifted above the horizontal and was propelled with force head first into the turf. At point of impact, it appeared to me that Evans' hand was on the back of Poey's head actually driving his face into the ground. It was all in all just sheer foul play. Evans pushed the envelope too far but got away with it imo.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Or perhaps the citing commissioners actually see all the angles. I not saying that the case, but I suspect they see a lot more than we do, I actually was watching John Kirwan showing how they actually watch etc these things when explaining why Fall (the French 15) shouldn't have been red carded. In that case they went through the whole thing, a bit at a time looking where everyone was coming from, and what they were looking at etc, pausing it time and time again to see where everything is, really was most interesting, and assume they do it in all cases. I actually thought when I saw the Pocock one he actually dragged him down by the shoulder, but I haven't watched it that much anyway so probably wrong. I just thought he would of been YCed for being off feet when he did it, but didn't think he had his arm around neck which is what is required for neck roll.

It doesn't matter how many angles you look at if one shows an arm around the neck as this one clearly does and force is applied, enough to force a 100KG bloke to flip it is a high degree of Foirce which the directives make a Red card. The same for the Cane incident against the French and Ofa in the same incident. In both instances contact is made to the head with a high degree of force and the onus is on the tackler with regard to the contact.

Now the Citing Commissioners have banned Folau because angle shows him dragging a hand back across the Irish player and unbalancing him in the air and the onus is on him not to endanger another player in the air. That is my point, the Laws and directives are very clear but they are not being consistently applied in the easiest place to do it, in an office watching footage. The real Referees are being hung out to dry by F%$%#wit Lawyers and the like playing their usual verbose games.

Do away with citing commissioners/ officials and judiciaries and just have three International Refs or two and a retired test Captain review and judge the matters. No lawyers or other mouth pieces allowed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not arguing if arm was around neck Gnostic and not defending it, just saying how they look at it. Anyway it's what it is , and although I like your idea of living in a world where you could just have a couple of refs etc as a judiciary, unfortunately not only would it not work as cases would end up in court etc as no doubt someone would come up with point of law, and wouldn't still stop the moans of people who only really judge any claims on who they support!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That raises a question i had regarding the judiciary process. Is there an appeal right? And if there is, where does it go?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That raises a question i had regarding the judiciary process. Is there an appeal right? And if there is, where does it go?
World Rugby Regulation 17 has all of the processes spelled out (pdf)

Also have a look at game management guidelines for how refs are instructed to judge foul play

eg

Neck rolls
• World Rugby is working to eliminate the practice of ‘neck grab and rolls’ in the act of cleaning out a
player. Guidelines for referees are as follows:
o PK = Neck grab, without twisting, which cleans out a player at the tackle or ruck
o YC= Neck grab & roll (likely bringing the player to the ground)
o RC= Neck grab & roll with a forceful ‘dumping action’ in bringing the player to the ground

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RC seems to sum up the actions taken by Evans in this instance. There was a neck grab and roll; Pocock was dumped head first with force. Evans should count himself very fortunate, but I have no doubt that his recent foul play actions will be repeated and his time to face the music will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.