• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, round 12, Friday 1 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
  1. Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
  2. Do not discuss other matches in detail.
  3. Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
  4. Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.
  5. Go the Tahs!

Breaches of the rules will be handled by the Mod Team.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This Friday night in Canberra, who's game to front the frozen wastes of Canberra Stadium? I'm going on Friday morning to do a bit of work down there and returning on Saturday morning.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This Friday night in Canberra, who's game to front the frozen wastes of Canberra Stadium? I'm going on Friday morning to do a bit of work down there and returning on Saturday morning.
Im down from Brisbane.. But the concrete eski will win the day

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Please advise if the new "Wig & Pen" at Llewellyn Hall (ANU) is good/crap/meh etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Please advise if the new "Wig & Pen" at Llewellyn Hall (ANU) is good/crap/meh etc.

Location is extremely crap.......... no foot traffic is going to cost them eventually.

Don't try and go after the game.......... after the Brumbies v Cheetahs game went in at 9.50pm and they'd called last drinks............ :mad:

Check out Bent Spoke in Braddon.............. it's one of the former brewers from the Wig & Pen.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The new Wig & Pen seems to have a few teething problems, one being it's difficult to find with bugger all signage around the site. Spoke to the owner, Lochie McOmish, last week: the university apparently agreed to some subtle signs on Marcus Clarke Street, but they haven't done anything about cleaning up the delivery dock to make it more enticing to walk through. There wasn't a soul in the place at lunchtime last Tuesday. I approached the new premises from the western side on Monday night after walking from my digs at University House, and walked straight past it! Apart from the access problems there were a few new red brews on tap which are sensational.

It behoves us all to do our bit next Friday to keep this magnificent establishment afloat.

The beers at BentSpoke are the work of Richard Watkins, the former brewer at W&P. He doesn't muck around with the addition of hops to the brew kettle, his brews are VERY hoppy. Classy establishment.

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd reinforce the two points above. Head to Bentspoke before hand, then walk around the corner and catch the bus from debacle to the stadium. After the game, head back again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm heading down on Friday afternoon.

Will probably just look for a pub as close to where the bus to the ground leaves in Mort St as we won't have a huge amount of time pre match. Shame the Wig & Pen is no longer situated there.

Edit: sounds like the Bent Spoke will be the place to go beforehand!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
plenty of pubs around offer a package which includes a ticket, feed, drink, and bus to the game straight from the pub.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Only $20,

http://www.outindeals.com.au/deals/brumbies-v-waratahs-ticket-and-burger-canberra-venues-only-20

Deal includes general admission Brumbies ticket and burger at one of six premium Canberra venues.

Selected venues:
    • Griffith - Gryphons
    • Kingston Foreshore - Walt & Burley
    • Gungahlin - Siren Bar
    • Ainslie - Ainslie Football and Social Club (You may sign into the club as a visitor if you are not a member.)
    • Gungahlin- Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club (You may sign into the club as a visitor if you are not a member.)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Jesus, that's a good deal, won't happen in brisbane unless the reds crowds go to shit, but I'd love to see a few places offer this for the nrc, given how bad ballymore can be to get to.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah the free bus ride from the venues are pretty convenient, Most of those places offer a pretty decent feed too.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
am heading down with the missus and some mates. The local mate has already lined us up for drinks at Bent Spoke beforehand. If you're there say hi.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Glen Jackson officiating this one.

Great :oops: I really hope I am wrong but I predict the Jackson free for all at the breakdown, off the feet beyond the rucks clean outs and taking space as the norm, a few no arm tackles and shoulders to feature and plenty of scrum resets with a few random penalties.

Now I have said it and really hope I have to eat my words post match!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Bru v Tahs.JPG

Merrow - are you doing your pre-game warm up? Anyone else?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
View attachment 6209
Merrow - are you doing your pre-game warm up? Anyone else?
We're only a five minute drive from the stadium, so likely that we'll have a couple at the walk up before the game. If we kick on afterwards likely to be the RUC in Turner. We'll leave the fancy beer to the toffs from Sydney ;)

Reactions: mst

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Great :oops: I really hope I am wrong but I predict the Jackson free for all at the breakdown, off the feet beyond the rucks clean outs and taking space as the norm, a few no arm tackles and shoulders to feature and plenty of scrum resets with a few random penalties.

So the usual Waratah game plan then :)

Reactions: mst

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IF the 'tahs win without a BP they could stay 7th & only improve if the Clan and/ or Bulls lose (both at home); get the BP, though, they're potentially 3rd or even 2nd if the Stormers lose (away)....... unless the Brumbies get a BP of their own in which case the 'tahs stay somewhere between 5th & 7th.

In summary: 'tahs need to win & win big, Brumbies just need to win or at least not lose big. Given they're at home I'd be backing the Brumbies to end the weekend still in the top 3, even if only on PD & by virtue of having more BP.

Meanwhile over in the NZ Conf, the 'canes & Tribe could easily go from 1st to 4th & vice-versa depending on what happen in Wellywood & the Paris of the South, respectively. I understand the commercial reasons why the S15 table works the way it does but it's still ridiculous IMO.

EDIT & SLIGHT CORRECTION: a 'tahs win & no BP to either side means they go 2nd or 3rd on games won, Brumbies go somewhere from 4th-7th depending on other results. Everything else above is correct AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.