• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 27th Feb, Canberra

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regards to the games - kudos to the whole Brumbies set up. We often talk about how good their coaching/back office system is and I thought last night was a perfect example. When you strip it out I didn’t actually think that some of the individual Waratah performances were too bad. Encouraging even - but as a collective there is a massive gulf between the teams.

And I do wonder how it is going to impact the longer term prospects of some guys like Harrison, Swinton, Ramm & Maddocks. But then on the flip side it’s great to see the likes of Lolesio, Simone, Valetini & Muirhead just getting better & better. I continue to be impressed by Mack Hansen and I actually think he could be a better fullback than Banks if/when Kata comes back into the starting side. In any case, he is certainly a quality back up at least.

On Maddocks specifically - I thought he was good last night (for a guy in a team getting shredded). And last week too. Which is significant to me because, in the past, he’s been the sort of guy that drops his head too easily. But both this week and last he seemed to be trying his best to lead, and played well. There were a few other individuals. But the Tahs collectively were too porous in defence and gifted possession back too easily. The Brumbies would have been very confident that the just needed to be patient in defence and they’d get the ball back. In attack, it was a contested training run (although by that I don’t mean to diminish how accurate and clinical the Brumbies were).

On a final note - how good is it to see an Aussie kicker nail two kicks from the sideline. Lonergan isn’t getting in front of Nic White anytime soon based on White’s form in the first two games, but across the board the standard of goal kicking seems to be much better this year than it has for years. But I thought that was a high point in itself from a young bloke just starting out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't agree. Bell did nothing in gold to impress in his games and was behind Robbo by then end of the Super Rugby season.. Swinton definitely looked the goods for the 30 minutes that he was on for his debut before his red card, but he was hot and cold last Super Rugby season I think they're both a bit over hyped

I think Bell is a very good player but needs a couple of years to build strength and learn the scrum intricacies. Swinton was good at U20s but his game recently has suffered through his penchant to be over aggressive.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Swinton made a couple of good front on hits but in a game where the opposition ran rampant I would have expected several more.
Penney has to show he is worth the money he's getting - the toughest gig for a coach is having a team which sees no future in the season.
Maddocks continues to improve.
Grant will never forget his run on debut.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I continue to be impressed by Mack Hansen and I actually think he could be a better fullback than Banks if/when Kata comes back into the starting side. In any case, he is certainly a quality back up at least.

Agreed re: Hansen at fullback. I've never really seen Banks as more than an above average Super player. I reckon Hansen could quickly surpass him if given the opportunity.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Agreed re: Hansen at fullback. I've never really seen Banks as more than an above average Super player. I reckon Hansen could quickly surpass him if given the opportunity.

Only downside is losing Banks kicking, especially for touch. How is Hansen at kicking?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Swinton made a couple of good front on hits but in a game where the opposition ran rampant I would have expected several more.
Penney has to show he is worth the money he's getting - the toughest gig for a coach is having a team which sees no future in the season.
Maddocks continues to improve.
Grant will never forget his run on debut.
Hard to make dominant hits when you are on the back foot to be fair.

But I agree with your general point. If the Tahs were to be any chance their back & front rows had to dominate their opposites. They didn’t and, in fact, it was the opposite. I do think the ref was a bit generous to the Brumbies at scrum time, but even that is earned by being generally dominant. In all other aspects the Brumbies front & back rows were well above their opponents.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is having 2nd season blues at TH, probably the worst game I have seen him play.

I’m not sure what Caird offers after 2 weeks, I’d be throwing Wykes in next week for some energy and grunt.

The rest of the team I didn’t think was shockingly bad. As mentioned above individually they were okay but collectively poor.

Season is on the line this week, we all know that the Reds and Brums will take up 2/3 finals spots so only need to get positive results against Force and Rebels.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is having 2nd season blues at TH, probably the worst game I have seen him play.

I’m not sure what Caird offers after 2 weeks, I’d be throwing Wykes in next week for some energy and grunt.

The rest of the team I didn’t think was shockingly bad. As mentioned above individually they were okay but collectively poor.

Season is on the line this week, we all know that the Reds and Brums will take up 2/3 finals spots so only need to get positive results against Force and Rebels.

Wykes is injured not expected back until after the Bye

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, a bit of reality.

9 tries to one. Brumbies certainly are not a one trick side as many contend. Their attack from anywhere on the ground is as good or better than any other Aus side. They use their power in the maul to put defences to bed on their line.

Tonight, not one Tahs player was equal to his opposite.

Noah Lolesio is a mile ahead of Will Harrison even allowing for for the dominance of the Brumbies pack.

Simone is not only the most attacking and creative backline player in the Brumbies, but in the whole of SRAu. Combination with Len Ikitau is very dangerous to opposition defences.

Rob Valetini is a harder man than Swinton and a far better player. The backrow of Valetini, Samu and Brown was absolutely dominant.

The Brumbies locks, Neville, Swain and Frost are the form locks after two rounds. Frost looks like he will be one of the best in a couple of years.

From the Tahs point of view, the front row and scrum as a whole was demolished by the Brumbies. Angus Bell is still not at this level with his scrummaging.

Jack Dempsey again was virtually invisible. Little impact on the game at all.

Lachie Swinton was poor and easily riled.

Shame for Grant to come up against Nic White in top form in his starting debut.

Centers and wing very meh. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is way out of his depth at Super Rugby level.

you are completely delusional...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I am somewhat bemused as to why some posters, not hard to work out who, seem to relish seeing one franchise going completely down the shitter. As I said a few years back when the Reds were off the rails, it doesn't serve Aus rugby well to have this situation evolve. It's no-one's fault but the NSWRU and Waratahs organisations, but if we learned nothing from years of being dominated by NZ Super Rugby (and the All Blacks), if the parts are all stronger, so is the whole.
Kudos to the Brumbies, and to what the Reds are doing, but like it or not, the NSW market is big, and a lot of players come from the system, so having it implode cannot be a good thing in the long term.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
you are completely delusional.

Some of his points were warranted/ excusable in such an excited state but his hatred for Swinton is not rational.

Valentini is yet to justify his hype and has never dominated games to the extent that Swinton did in a couple of the games last year. Even with the afro, Valentini never stands out - and not in 'he's doing all grunt work'- kind of way.

But hey the Wallaby selectors, majority of journalists and posters on this forum are probably wrong.

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Christchurch 2002 was also not a good time for the Tahs and Tahs faithful.

The great news is that the drive home to some welcome sorry drowning full strength appropriately priced cold beer from next week at BankWest will be about 45 minutes faster than the usual experience at Moore Park.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Kudos to the Brumbies, and to what the Reds are doing, but like it or not, the NSW market is big, and a lot of players come from the system, so having it implode cannot be a good thing in the long term.
It's by far the biggest media and commercial market in Australia - a poorly performing Waratahs erodes most of the publicity of the sport.

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
No he's not, this is perfectly rational for Ponies supporters.

About as balanced and rational comprehensive as most of the fan boy posts promoting the excellence of their favourite GPS 1st XV player 5 years after they leave their protected school environment.

Winners are grinners. Let the Brumbies folk have their time in the sun. After all, they are the ones who have to live in Canberra.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
the NSW market is big, and a lot of players come from the system, so having it implode cannot be a good thing in the long term.

giphy.gif

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some of his points were warranted/ excusable in such an excited state but his hatred for Swinton is not rational.

Valentini is yet to justify his hype and has never dominated games to the extent that Swinton did in a couple of the games last year. Even with the afro, Valentini never stands out - and not in 'he's doing all grunt work'- kind of way.

But hey the Wallaby selectors, majority of journalists and posters on this forum are probably wrong.

Didn’t Valetini play in 3 tests last year, including the first and last 2? His lack of lineout prowess certainly holds him back from a starting spot as Rennie clearly likes a 6 who is good in the air.........

But the suggestion that Swinton was more dominant in Super Rugby last year is indeed laughable...........

He had that one standout game in round on of Super Rugby Au, but aside from that was certainly never in the conversation around these parts when it came to the Wallabies over the likes of Valetini, Wright, or even Dempsey.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
was certainly never in the conversation around these parts when it came to the Wallabies over the likes of Valetini, Wright, or even Dempsey.

Except for when he got selected. Although I think you are referring to the pre international season. Yes, it was a surprise, but when he got on the field it became clear why.

I've picked Valetini as the 6 in both of my TOTWs this year, but I'm still not convinced at international level. He reminds me a bit of Lopeti Timani.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Except for when he got selected. Although I think you are referring to the pre international season. Yes, it was a surprise, but when he got on the field it became clear why.

I've picked Valetini as the 6 in both of my TOTWs this year, but I'm still not convinced at international level. He reminds me a bit of Lopeti Timani.

Yep, pre test season I don’t think many picked Swinton on Super Rugby form, but he got selected on his potential and we saw the best and worst of him against the AB’s............ if he has some consistency in between red cards the position is his.

As for Valetini - he’s been in barnstorming form, and started last year the same, but again needs some consistency.......... looked good in those last couple of tests he came off the bench for.

Good to see him being utilised a bit more in the lineout, but he might continue to be an impact player at test level.